• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bottle contents?

teotwawki12

Elite Member
I was at Michaels buying a leather riveting kit to fix my trowel holster and noticed a bag of assorted corks nearby. Being snowed in and bored, I got an idea and bought them too.

I have random bottles I have dug interspersed with my detecting finds and agates in displays. Was thinking that I could cork a few older bottles and get some food coloring and fill them with distilled water (this should take care of the cloudiness I couldn’t remove inside a couple as well).

I’m wondering if anybody has an idea what color these liniments and medicines originally were.... brown? Clear? Mudpuppy should be able to remember.... :D

Try searching online for some pics of still-full contents. Certain products were usually certain colors. Alternately you could just do as stated with food coloring or other existing "tame" liquids around the house. Just don't use all the same color, it won't look right, lol.

Try searching online for some pics of still-full contents. Certain products were usually certain colors. Alternately you could just do as stated with food coloring or other existing "tame" liquids around the house. Just don't use all the same color, it won't look right, lol.

Played around with the food coloring and came up with some amber, olive, light blue and so on. I think I like them, gives the display a different look.

The ones I found online that were the brands I have looked dark like coffee. The one liniment I found that still had some content in it (which subsequently made the house uninhabitable from the stench when opened) was orange, which I don’t really want. I guess I don’t have to be historically accurate if they look all right!

If any of them are vanilla bottles or extracts, then yellows and orange liquids would work. I even have an extract with contents that is brown like cola.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom