Ugly Box electrolysis unit

Gonehunting

Forum Sponsor
Forum Supporter
I just received an ugly Box from Frank at Detect America...
w0WjYPL.jpg

I've not used electrolysis before but this was super easy at least for a SLQ that has been buried under asphalt and concrete for over 80 years...
Before
RGKmfu7.jpg

e9f3iIx.jpg

After... Huge difference.. I can see the S mint mark and the M designer mark now..
yO1Aqg8.jpg

nSCxvcZ.jpg
Thought I would share the success I had with cleaning the corrosion...

Last edited:
Much better!!. Being someone who has very little experience with electrolysis, What would this unit be good for? I was on the Detect America website and saw that there are different units. Are they different sizes for different size or type of objects?

This one can use a 9 VOLT, or a series of aa's or an external battery.. I would think coin size would be the most with just the 9volt.

Is there a guide that tells what voltage is needed in different situations? I'd like to try it on everything from coins to a crusty fish spear and meat cleaver.

Honestly this was my first ele unit.. If anyone would know Frank would.. You might message that website or the Detect America page and see..

Silly Question

OK, silly question I guess, but is electrolysis considered a better or "safer" way to clean coins and/or objects versus other chemical-based methods?

I typically just soak my finds in soapy water and maybe use a toothbrush to remove what I can. I've tried white vinegar on a few items but did not like the result. Would like to use a good safe method for cleaning...

OK, silly question I guess, but is electrolysis considered a better or "safer" way to clean coins and/or objects versus other chemical-based methods?

I typically just soak my finds in soapy water and maybe use a toothbrush to remove what I can. I've tried white vinegar on a few items but did not like the result. Would like to use a good safe method for cleaning...
I would consider it a last resort to cleaning anything... Typically when water and brush wouldn't work and the find wouldn't have any monetary value but you want to see what the find looks like without all the corrosion.. I've found a lot of coins and relics in construction zones where the targets are caked with corrosion and nothing else works... This is about the only time I use the electrolysis.. That and rusty iron relics that may be salvageable with it.. i.e. horseshoes, rusted buckles, etc.

Back
Top Bottom