Underwater detecting in Florida

Shavnore

Elite Member
I'm not getting a very clear picture on the laws here. I know state parks are a no-go. Is it illegal to underwater detect off pensacola beach? And what defines an "artifact" if I'm carrying a whetie and accidently drop it, does it belong to the state because its 50 years old? This is confusing and seems a little redicilous.

I'm not getting a very clear picture on the laws here. I know state parks are a no-go. Is it illegal to underwater detect off pensacola beach? And what defines an "artifact" if I'm carrying a whetie and accidently drop it, does it belong to the state because its 50 years old? This is confusing and seems a little redicilous.
You will have no problem diving or shallow water detecting there. Diving on the Treasure Coast beaches (below Cape Kennedy) has those spots with leases. You can keep all the coins, gold rings and such you can find off Pensacola and beaches around there. Artifacts are not old coins or rings. Good luck and HH.

Thanks guys! Was discouraged there for a bit.
Florida is a very friendly state. They love visitors and the money that you spend. You can keep everything you dig on the beaches. Even some state parks allow digging. The ones on the Atlantic ocean allow it but most inland do not. A simple call to the park will tell you. Once in a while they find Spanish cobs on the beaches below Kennedy. You can keep them. Here is a site that has daily info on that part of the state. http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/

I do not know of any shipwreck items found where you are hunting though and no lease sites. You diving or water hunting? If you are diving then try calling the local dive shops for information on where to hunt and any regulations. Might pay off. Good luck!

Florida is a very friendly state. They love visitors and the money that you spend. You can keep everything you dig on the beaches. Even some state parks allow digging. The ones on the Atlantic ocean allow it but most inland do not. A simple call to the park will tell you. Once in a while they find Spanish cobs on the beaches below Kennedy. You can keep them. Here is a site that has daily info on that part of the state. http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/

I do not know of any shipwreck items found where you are hunting though and no lease sites. You diving or water hunting? If you are diving then try calling the local dive shops for information on where to hunt and any regulations. Might pay off. Good luck!

Im doing both diving and regular hunting. I called two dive shops in the area and they had the slightest clue lol..

you can take a ride over here to cottondale i would be clad to take you out on the creeks and rivers with me diving and detecting anytime and as long as you have your fossil permit you can pick up all kinds of fossils in the river while your detecting

Don't feel bad. I stopped at a Surf, Sand, and Sun shop in Port Saint Lucie, FL to look for a scoop. They only sold dry sand scoops and machines. Guy said you can't detect the water in Florida. I'm from Texas and knew more than he did.

you can take a ride over here to cottondale i would be clad to take you out on the creeks and rivers with me diving and detecting anytime and as long as you have your fossil permit you can pick up all kinds of fossils in the river while your detecting

That would be awesome! do you scuba dive in the river? I live right of blackwater, but the visibility is horrible.

Don't feel bad. I stopped at a Surf, Sand, and Sun shop in Port Saint Lucie, FL to look for a scoop. They only sold dry sand scoops and machines. Guy said you can't detect the water in Florida. I'm from Texas and knew more than he did.

I found a better dive shop that had more information. As long as you are not hunting on salvage sites you are fine. They are going after the boats that rake the surface for wrecks, not your average metal detector enthusiast diving for jewelry and coins.

Yes i dive rivers ,lakes and creeks ,springs i have a hookah with 3 60 ft lines only bad thing most my diving is during the week 10 more days and im buying a new cz21 cant wait to use it i have a wore out tiger shark and a whites dual field now

Back
Top Bottom