• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal Detecting in Florida

au-nugget

Attention all treasure hunters. This Florida senator has just signed off on a bill that was passed under the cover of night, which would make it illegal to metal detect in the state of Florida, including private property, beaches, etc. Please visit his facebook page and let him know how you feel about this bill... Remember, this is the gateway to your state, next. If we do not stand together now, ...united, we shall fall one at a time, state by state. I strongly urge each and everyone of you to visit his facebook page and let your voice be heard, now, before our beloved pastime becomes as much a part of history as the relics we find, preserve and share with the world.

http://www.facebook.com/dalanhays?sk=wall

Alan Hays
Politician
Page: 209 like this

Alan Hays
Politician
Page: 211See More
Alan Hays
Politician
Page:

i go to florida twice a year and was planning to retire to destin fl. in a year or two. if they pass this law i will never step foot in this state . EVER !!!! BLEV

As a Floridian, this is so bad! Even if they banned it from public lands, how could they ban it from private property? Lawsuit waiting to happen.

Oh boy, I will be one pissed off person if this happens!!! Will suck for Kellyco Big Time to!

The bill pertains to removing/excavating archaeological sites on state property....this is already a law...

It doesn't mention metal detecting or beaches.

Read the bill before jumping to insane conclusions.

Yeah I thought I read it that way. I saw it in the news last night, and simmed over it and saw they were talking artifacts and other BS. I was like whew. I just moved here and MD everyday!!!

The bill pertains to removing/excavating archaeological sites on state property....this is already a law...

Yeah, I read through the post yesterday, and doesn't look like anything new, or really much to do with the hobby. It's state owned land, and archaeological sites that either being preserved, or some scientist has already laid claim. Guess they are just tightening it up some, for those who want sneak in and get some of that old stuff. Private property, counties and cities still have the ultimate say for land that isn't state, or historical.

I'm no lawyer, and their language is a little confusing, but there really wasn't anything in the bill, that look like it was going to be an all out ban on metal detecting in Florida. There are a lot of stories about lost pirate treasure, shipwrecks, that might lead a few people onto protected land, thinking they'll get away with, either by not getting caught, or pleading ignorance and promising not to do it again, and being from out of state, good chance of just walking away.

I think this more clearly defines the intent of the trespasser, and the consequences. Florida is a tourist state, and we get quite a few visitors who view the entire state as their amusement park, and those that live here are all tour guides. Regardless of where they are heading, I always give directions to Disney World...

Phew the first post scared me! Just got my detector last week and was so excited to use it, would have been so upset. I'm not after artifacts on archaeological sites

Legalese is not my forte, this is copied from another forum who apparently posted the writing of the bill:

Any person who by means other than excavation either
19 conducts archaeological field investigations on, or removes or
20 attempts to remove, or defaces, destroys, or otherwise alters
21 any archaeological site or specimen located upon, any land,
22 including state sovereignty submerged land, owned or controlled
23 by the state, a political subdivision, or a special district
24 created by the Legislature, or within the boundaries of a
25 designated state archaeological landmark or landmark zone,

...but couldn't this be construed as any land anywhere within the state?

"Regardless of where they are heading, I always give directions to Disney World...
"
Cool. I can't wait to go Goofy detecting at Disney!

As for the legalese, Mel Fisher had a few go arounds with the state. It kinds of sounds like they are laying the groundwork to make it simple to declare something a special district (or whatever) and grab anything someone may trip across. Next time you Floridians find something historical washed up on the beach you should probably not make it known so the state doesn't confiscate it.

More and more Politicians are trying to save us from ourselves. There are enough laws on the books to cover any situation, but they seem to think they have to write and pass new laws to justify their jobs. I find it hard to trust them anymore, and I don't know why they can't leave well enough alone.

But, but..... I READ IT ON THE INTERWEBS!!!!!!!! :laughing:

Do you have a link to the proposed bill?

House: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=47807

Senate: http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/868

I think we are safe for right now..you all know where you can hunt..and what happens if you sneek in someplace...the beaches are still open...Buster....:wow:

I don't do Facebook, but it looks as if he already has a slew of negative comments out there. I have a strongly worded email in my Drafts folder in case this is legit.

Legalese is not my forte, this is copied from another forum who apparently posted the writing of the bill:

Any person who by means other than excavation either
19 conducts archaeological field investigations on, or removes or
20 attempts to remove, or defaces, destroys, or otherwise alters
21 any archaeological site or specimen located upon, any land,
22 including state sovereignty submerged land, owned or controlled
23 by the state, a political subdivision, or a special district
24 created by the Legislature, or within the boundaries of a
25 designated state archaeological landmark or landmark zone,

...but couldn't this be construed as any land anywhere within the state?

Those are just little snips, taken out of context. Pretty sure we are being played on this one. Most likely somebody who has been finding historical treasures, and wants to keep on cashing in, knows it's probably already illegal, or barely legal. I can understand the dreams of finding a huge box of gold bars, and claiming it as your own, but we have to be realistic. There can be a lot of damage done, on a rumor or legend, that may not even be true.

I don't really care for most of the "historical" designations, which brings in federal grant money to preserve and restore. My city tried to get in on some of that about 6 years ago. I live in the historical, downtown area, and on the edge of the proposed district. My house was built in 1946, far as I know, nothing historical or noteworthy about it. Most of the building have been modernized, or even newer. Not really enough 'historical', to make much of a fuss over. It would have been like belonging to a homeowner's association, where someone else tells you what you can, and can't do to you home and property, how it's going to look, and what materials you are allow to use. You have to pay a fee to ask permission for repairs or upgrades, but you may or may not get some grant money to make it happen, if approved. People like the idea of 'free' money though, so I'm sure a lot of place took the hook, and are designated as historical sites...

they don`t take your rights by the mile, they take it an inch at a time. this is another inch gone. blev

Back
Top Bottom