Ketchup?

L0S3R

Elite Member
To remove rust from iron does the ketchup trick I keep hearing about work? How long do you soak it? Can you reseal the iron with motor oil even if temporary til you can get the wax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what’s the proper technique if it does work?

e8c4bb4868dc47bffaf0198d4820314d.jpg

Not an expert but I do know many use ketchup on older coins to clean them.
The vinegar in it has some cleaning properties that can make some metal surfaces much better looking.
However I have never heard of anyone using this stuff to clean such a massive piece of rusty iron.
In your case you would need a ton of it to clean your knife...if it would even work at all.

You will probably get many more replies and I assume just about all of them will recommend electrolysis to clean that thing...just faster and way more thorough and efficient.
This is the relic guys process of choice to clean their better finds, weapon parts, old tools and whatever else pops up after having a very long dirt nap.
Your knife is a prime example of the kind of targets that will greatly benefit from this process.
Pretty cheap and easy to set up an electrolysis system, I know there are a few very good tutorials on this forum that will help you...just do a search and a ton of threads will pop up about this process.

Or, just get a wire brush attachment for a drill and have at it...that would probably work, also.

AFAIK, ketchup is used to clean old nickels.

You might try coca-cola, it’s what gramps used to use back when he wanted to remove spots from the sheet metal of the old chebbie and also old radio battery compartments. Phosphoric acid the active ingredient in coke.

I'd run that thing with electrolysis. If you're stuck on using chemicals, try naval jelly.

I have and use evapo-rust and can recommend it. Inexpensive, easy and it works

Evapo-rust works OK, but I wouldn't call it inexpensive. At $16.85 a gallon(or more), vinegar is way cheaper, and works about as good. I would scrub and/or knock rust off between soaks, but be careful not to break that blade.

Save the ketchup for your French fries!

I'd run that thing with electrolysis. If you're stuck on using chemicals, try naval jelly.
Definitely use electrolysis.......super easy.

Google it / YouTube......works great....used on a bunch of relics... And you probably have everything you need laying around.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Definitely use electrolysis.......super easy.

Google it / YouTube......works great....used on a bunch of relics... And you probably have everything you need laying around.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Everything but the battery charger, I’m afraid of frying my house

You've had a lot of posts about this knife, if you really want it run through a tank you can ship it over to me and I can run it and send it back.

Ketchup? :( I would never use it. Ketchup has fruit acids in it, and these acids can work on the metal for a long time.

What i do.
Let it dry for about 2-3 weeks and the rust will fall of by itself. A small tap with a small hammer to 'scare the rust of' will speed it up a bit.
Then you only need to brush the remaining rusty dust.

Other option. Put it in a stove or bbq. Heat it (not red hot) until the rust falls of. DO NOT heat up more solid objects as they may explode.
To preserves it for the future. If rust is gone then brush thick boiled linseed oil over it what will draw in as the object cools down. Smaller objects can be put in a container of boiled linseed oil.

Can you reseal the iron with motor oil?

I wouldn't use motor oil on historical object. Motor oil is nice for modern rusty iron objects. Not for old. Then used motor oil is the best.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=3171455&postcount=19
haarhamer-met-gerestaureerde-steel-1800-13-5x20cm1.jpg

I gave it a slight vingers cleaning when wire brush (handheld) didn’t work. I’m seasoning it with olive oil... this is my last pic. I might have ruined value but the local museum wouldn’t even give me time of day.

c7f983d725f9286061746481771411b5.jpg
2b399c81366048da2fedb4eac1cef4c2.jpg

Hey, not bad! Now we can see the metal, with some rust spots remaining. Looks like an unusual piece of cutlery. I would rub a little oil on it, and call it "pirate plunder". :yes:

Cool looking knife. Not at all what I would have thought it would clean up to look like. I was paging down to recommend electrolysis (as others have done), but it looks like you've got it!

Everything but the battery charger, I’m afraid of frying my house

You don't need a full size battery charger, I just strip the end of any old charger or power supply to something like a cell phone or other electronics equipment. Probably have 20 of them laying around from, old routers, phones, toys, etc that no longer work. They work fine, may not put out as much juice as one for a car battery but I've zapped the rust of an ax head with nothing more then an old cell phone charger. May take a few days but still gets the job done.

Back
Top Bottom