electrolysys on 1883 indian?

remmy

Forum Supporter
I was wondering if electro cleaning decreases value? Is it better to be able to see detail, or better to have the patina? I set up a nice electro setup and did a grungy 68 penny. Wow, clean but im not sure I want the 1883 that clean. as it is right now, its pretty hard to make out most details. I am almost certain it says 1883 but may be 63.

I'd base my decision on the present value of the IH.
If you aren't sure on the date check both.
Odds are it isn't worth too much (in it's present state) and it would be a matter of preference.
Note: I have not looked up the value.

Post a pic once you decide.

Post a pic of it. Depending on how bad it is you won't hurt the value.
The trick to electrolysis is to not over clean the coin. I only use electrolysis on coins that have thick corrosion on them. Then I only do it long enough to flame that stuff off. After it comes out only rinse it off and blot it dry. Pick any stuff off needed with a tooth pick. After it comes out you can ruin them by over cleaning them easy. You don't want a bare copper coin.

I did clean some stuff off with a toothpick and I currently have it in my ultra sonic case cleaner with water and a few drops of dawn. it seems to slowly be loosening the gunk. I will get a pic after a few more cycles. What is the proper formula for electro, saw a guy on youtube using only table salt?

This is after a whole bunch of ultrasonic and toothpikkin. definitely 1883.
indian6.jpg

indian7.jpg

Boiling peroxide (the drug store kind) can remove tarnish. Can be reheated in the microwave (WITHOUT THE COIN). Try to maintain the green patina.
Tends to make the finish look dried out. A coat of bees wax and buffed can give a nice finish.

Electrolysis will remove the green, but unless you hate it like that, I would leave it alone. IHs come out differently sometimes. Sometimes they look washed out, or develop on oil-slick looking finish. If yours was cruddy, I would say zap it.

Back
Top Bottom