Need suggestions...

Silver_Seeker

Elite Member
I've got a William III Half Penny (1699-1701) that needs a little cleaning.

See thread/pics here: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=216222

The question is, how do I go about trying to get a few more details off of the reverse - which is worse than the obverse - from a 300+ year old copper that may have been in the ocean for 2+ centuries?

Obviously, I don't want to make it any worse!

I see lots of people talking about tumblers on here to clean up their coins. Take this for what it's worth cause I'm BRAND NEW to this hobby lol.

I reload my own ammo and use a tumbler to clean up my brass. I just use crushed corn cob with a little polish added to it. I would think for a heavy type of coin this may be a more gentler way of cleaning a coin up a little as opposed to aquarium gravel or whatever else I see people talking abut using.

Just an idea, no clue if it'll work or not lol.

For some reason old coins are worth more uncleaned?:?:

They are worth more uncleaned because most cleaning methods damage the coin in some way. Rubbing or scrubbing the coin will leave microabrasions on the coin's surface, and chemical baths may strip some of the metal off the coin. I have had conversations with a local coin dealer who agrees that it is best not to clean coins beyond running them under water and patting dry with a 100% cotton cloth.

It is worth mentioning, however, that the majority of coins pulled out of the ground are not worth much from a collector's standpoint as they have already sustained environmental damage, so you don't have to worry as much about cleaning unless the coin is a key date. That said, my preferred cleaning method for any coin I find regardless of value (other than clad of course) is to rinse and pat dry.

coppers

They are worth more uncleaned because most cleaning methods damage the coin in some way. Rubbing or scrubbing the coin will leave microabrasions on the coin's surface, and chemical baths may strip some of the metal off the coin. I have had conversations with a local coin dealer who agrees that it is best not to clean coins beyond running them under water and patting dry with a 100% cotton cloth.

It is worth mentioning, however, that the majority of coins pulled out of the ground are not worth much from a collector's standpoint as they have already sustained environmental damage, so you don't have to worry as much about cleaning unless the coin is a key date. That said, my preferred cleaning method for any coin I find regardless of value (other than clad of course) is to rinse and pat dry.

I agree, I found a 1794 liberty cap that was underwater 150+ yrs....dealer looked at it under microscope and showed me a ton of damage not seen by the naked eye...
DO NOT USE A DREMEL OR WIZWHEEL EITHER!!!
(That is a story for another time...I was a noob ..LOL):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I agree, I found a 1794 liberty cap that was underwater 150+ yrs....dealer looked at it under microscope and showed me a ton of damage not seen by the naked eye...
DO NOT USE A DREMEL OR WIZWHEEL EITHER!!!
(That is a story for another time...I was a noob ..LOL):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The thought of someone taking a Dremel to a coin makes me cringe. According to my collectors' manual, there is an epidemic of that "whizzing" in the coin world and many coins are being destroyed as a result of it. :(

Sounds like you learned a hard lesson. But at least you learned! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom