Garrett AT PRO depth test

ParkHunter

Forum Supporter
I have recently watched the video which the AT PRO user didn't hit a silver half @ 8 inches, and I have nothing to say but it was a faulty machine..or possibly too new, before garrett patched 'glitches' with the machine.

I just tested it in my test garden, and the AT PRO hit my B.F. silver half at over 10"...but was very very faint, yet the VDI read from 83-95 , pretty accurate I'd say.

Here is a video I also found where it hits some good deeper dimes...(I still will need to test the PRO on dimes..will post later)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCpPhKXEj0g

I do not know why oregonmetaldetector's AT PRO did not hit a half at 8"..but I'm going to ASSUME he had an either:

NEW (non patched) machine
or
FAULTY machine

The AT PRO I am currently using was made 4 months back...so one of the newer ones..and it hits deep silver just fine...only had one faulty signal and it was a merc that was very deep (8"+) but I dug it anyways...

If anyone else has performed test with newer machines/would like to share..please do so..

HH ! Hope this can help some of the AT PRO critics :yes:

So when I order my AT Pro do I tell them I only want the patched machine and not to send me anything else? will they actually send me the patched version or will they agree and just send what they feel like sending me? Also are their id #'s to show the machine is patched? I've watched close to 100 videos on the at pro so far and this is the first time I've heard about a patched machine. I'm glad I came across this post! Thanks for posting this and if you can answer any of my questions it would be greatly appreciated!! GL and HH!!!

So when I order my AT Pro do I tell them I only want the patched machine and not to send me anything else? will they actually send me the patched version or will they agree and just send what they feel like sending me? Also are their id #'s to show the machine is patched? I've watched close to 100 videos on the at pro so far and this is the first time I've heard about a patched machine. I'm glad I came across this post! Thanks for posting this and if you can answer any of my questions it would be greatly appreciated!! GL and HH!!!

I'm quoting garrett when I contacted them. I was in lots of doubt when I saw that video.

All machines made now are updated and should be good..

Used machines (as long as they are not over 1 yr of age) should be O.K.

It is common with many detectors when they first come out..They usually have a couple of mistakes that fix over time when the company is contacted enough..

To give you a real example, when garrett first released the 250, its depth would only read 2" no matter what when pinpointing, this was fixed a couple months after by Garrett...and is no longer seen if you buy a new 250 now..

the AT PRO had a depth issue... of course....a faulty coil could also hurt..

HH

Doesn't the AT Pro go deeper? Like 10+ Have you hit anything that deep or deeper? This will probably be my next machine, but it has to have a few advantages over my 350.

And, when are the coins in your garden expected to sprout? Do video of that.

grump

I have the ace250 with the 8.5x11DD coil and im trully amazed. This machine does damn well. But i too am thinking of a atpro for christmas. Glad I read this post. didnt know anything about this issue

With the large coil and in my sweet Kansas soil, the AT Pro got me a silver dime at 9 inches.

The signal was faint but definitely sweet and I had no VDI.

Yesterday I pulled a 1/4 inch diameter washer at 9", as it was a good strong signal too. (was hoping for something more than a dang washer!)

These air tests don't impress me and here's why.

Soil conditions and weak or inconsistant batteries change things a lot!

There you have it.

In the dusty baked clay of summer probably a lesche blade deep. The same soil and same park with moisture saturated ground 10+ inch clear signals easily.

Beach sand under the fresh water heck I scoop things 2 stealth scoops deep sometimes.

So many things can contribute to or take away from machine depth it's not something I spend time worrying about.

If you want to tickle china get a PI machine! :lol:

I saw the Oregon guy do a side by side test with an E Trac on iffy sigs. His Pro didn't perform very well. But all I can say is that I found a Walking liberty half at over 8 inches with my Ace 250 with a stock coil. I have even found some pretty deep Rosies and mercs with it. But my AT Pro goes deeper than my 250 and I have the goods to prove it. As with any metal detector, you have to learn your machine, know how to set it up, and know what to listen for. I do believe however, that some of the thousand dollar plus machines see a little deeper than the AT Pro but they are not that much more accurate in identifying targets. I personally don't like digging 12 inch holes unless I could be sure it was something good. We all know that digging a twelve inch plug (even with a Lesche) is time consuming and a chore. And NOBODY WITH ANY DETECTOR ON THE MARKET TODAY would bet every thing they own that they could positively I D a 12" target. Would you? However, I am thinking about getting a 30 30 for a back up:lol:

I don't put much into these tests either. The AT Pro indicator is marked 10+ and I was surprised to not hear anyone make a deeper find with one. I find small items at nine inches in soil and deeper in sand with my ACE 350 all the time.

also take into consideration different soil types and conditions, you may get 10" of depth in dry sand but that same detector my only get 4" in hard packed red clad soils. different areas require different machines

also take into consideration different soil types and conditions, you may get 10" of depth in dry sand but that same detector my only get 4" in hard packed red clad soils. different areas require different machines
Unless it's an Xterra. :D There's an exception to every rule.

I have recently watched the video which the AT PRO user didn't hit a silver half @ 8 inches, and I have nothing to say but it was a faulty machine..or possibly too new, before garrett patched 'glitches' with the machine.

I just tested it in my test garden, and the AT PRO hit my B.F. silver half at over 10"...but was very very faint, yet the VDI read from 83-95 , pretty accurate I'd say.

Here is a video I also found where it hits some good deeper dimes...(I still will need to test the PRO on dimes..will post later)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCpPhKXEj0g

I do not know why oregonmetaldetector's AT PRO did not hit a half at 8"..but I'm going to ASSUME he had an either:

NEW (non patched) machine
or
FAULTY machine

The AT PRO I am currently using was made 4 months back...so one of the newer ones..and it hits deep silver just fine...only had one faulty signal and it was a merc that was very deep (8"+) but I dug it anyways...

If anyone else has performed test with newer machines/would like to share..please do so..

HH ! Hope this can help some of the AT PRO critics :yes:

I am not oregonmetaldetector...just have a similar forum name:) I was surprised when I watched his vid also. We both bought ours at nearly the same time.

Oregon soil is rough...high in mineral content with lots of iron so that will hurt your depth to be sure. I never did air test my at pro but I can tell you for sure that my deepest coin with it was a wheatie at appr. 10.5 inches while the soil was damp. The signal was very strong.

My unit was one of the original ones...from what I have heard if you bought a "later" fixed model or sent yours in for the "upgrade" that the machines didnt run quite as hot afterward which help eliminate some of the coil falsing issues but also decreased detection depth.

All I know for sure is for the price and features it is one deep seeking detector. Almost regret sellling mine. Only thing I didnt love was the pinpoint feature.

Great write up Parkhunter!!!

I guess people get attached to brand and there's no better. Atleast that's what I see on the forum a lot.

Anyway, I have a ACE 350 and love it, and hate it. It's in the shop, just as I was getting good too. Going crazy waiting for it's return. So I ordered a ACE 150 to keep me oocupied until the 350 comes back. Haven't gotten it yet either, should be here Friday.

The AT Pro looked atractive, not only because I'm familiar with the Garretts, but because it can be used in water and wet sand, and the price is in my range too. Lot of beach here. I've used my 350 at the waters edge, but found trash, oh, and an unopened bottle of Corona. It will wait for a while though. More to learn and find with the 350.

Boy am I impressed!

Just tested it in my small front yard (not test garden) with super heavy mineralized soil & iron everywhere...only buried it 6" because that is the MAX I could dig...the dirt got rock hard after...

I measured it with a ruler for all the skeptics out there..

Sniped the half (NON silver !) right out of all the iron & mineralization, great recovery. Very loud, crisp tone. Wish I could've gotten it deeper...but man, is this thing a bang for the buck or what..!

I buried two silver quarters, one at 6 inches, and one at 8 inches. I could not find them with my ATPro. I'm pissed.

LOLOLOL

i know, new test gardens arent the best for testing but...i have a dime at 4 inches a dime at not even 6 inches ,a nickel at 6 inchhes and a quarter at about 7 inches....

Get ready for this one.... I CAN ONLY HIT THE 4 INCH DIME!!!!!
i can get a LOW tone once every 6 swings on the nickel....and same on quarter!...nothin at all on 6 inch dime!! nothin!...new test bed or not....im gettin less n less confident in my at pro more i own it and use it!(or i should say ,the more i use my tejon)

the one time i was mildly impressed in real time huntin, i hit a wheatie at about 8 inches...with snake coil on machine...this is the only reason I didnt sell it immediately..ive talked myself into thinking i just havent had my coil over deep targets....funny thing is since i havent used it and usin my tejon 100%..i hhave dug many deep targets!

This is an old thread but a good one.

I think you have to contribute a lot to the soil. My soil is very 'hot'. I normally ground balance the AT Pro around 94-95. It severely affects depth. I have a clad quarter buried at 7" in the front yard that has been there for almost 2 years. My AT Pro will hit it but it is a weak signal with the stock coil. With the 5x8 it is hit and miss. My CZ hits it hard but will not ID it correctly. It just responds as iron. This is a machine certified at 12.1" by Tom and will air test around 12" on a quarter. My CTX does the best on it. The type of soil you are in makes a huge difference as to the depth a machine will get.

I have had 4 different AT pros and 1 AT Gold. I love these machines for shallow hunting but I could never hit anything over 5" with these machines. I recently bough an XP Deus and have re-hunted SEVERAL yards that I hunted with the Garrett models and have found lots and lots of deep coins and many silvers that never even registered on my Garrett machines. But like I said they seem to be great for shallow hunting.

Back
Top Bottom