Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 11-09-2018, 06:36 AM
Elite Member

I'm sure in the wet sand this larger coil will be great. But I'm in and out of the water and I hate big coils in the water myself. I tried a few like the Dual Field, the WOT, even the Ultimate I thought was too big. But hey if you like it that's great.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 AM
Elite Member

I used the 13" and i did feel like i was getting some great coverage.... AND depth. Im not really convinced yet that there is a depth advantage it seems the shape of the coil was done to keep the sensitivity near to the 11". So .... the advantage is only coverage for beach hunting. Thats disappointing since the 13" was clearly deeper on the dry and wet sand. BUT..... do i want to try sand move it around in the Gulf? If so you need to change out the entire ML shaft it just wont hold up. I guess the only question on my mind now is ..... is moving that big coil allowing me to cover more water or will it be slower going.....and will moving it slower because of drag be an advantage? Having to move slower could have its advantages picking up targets and you'd still cover the same amount of water. Now what would i have to do to my sensitivity and/or recovery speed..... and would that be a disadvantage?

D. Meeker

Old 11-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by dewcon View post
I used the 13" and i did feel like i was getting some great coverage.... AND depth. Im not really convinced yet that there is a depth advantage it seems the shape of the coil was done to keep the sensitivity near to the 11". So .... the advantage is only coverage for beach hunting. Thats disappointing since the 13" was clearly deeper on the dry and wet sand. BUT..... do i want to try sand move it around in the Gulf? If so you need to change out the entire ML shaft it just wont hold up. I guess the only question on my mind now is ..... is moving that big coil allowing me to cover more water or will it be slower going.....and will moving it slower because of drag be an advantage? Having to move slower could have its advantages picking up targets and you'd still cover the same amount of water. Now what would i have to do to my sensitivity and/or recovery speed..... and would that be a disadvantage?
Yea you're probably right, whole shaft would have to be upgraded and have even more emergency cuffs on hand I would be hesitant using it in the water in anything but flat calm days. If that big coil gets caught facing the wrong way in a weak swell I'm not sure things would be good.

For $240 I think I'll stick to stock for now, gotta recover enough to pay for the original machine still

Old 11-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Supporter

Nice finds, Congratulations

2018 TOTALS 38 SILVERS, 20 IHP, 36 Wheats, 4 RINGS
CTX 3030, XP DEUS, AT Propointer

Old 11-09-2018, 03:06 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
You gotta remember though, "Your results may vary!" Meggie is not the norm...Lookat his 2018 totals will ya! The damn guy could find gold with a paper plate on the end of a mop handle! Or a Cobra Beach Magnet even!!

Old 11-09-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Swinglow View post
Looks like meggie needs only a dousing rod or one finely tuned calculator to find the good stuff.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the gold Megs!

Old 11-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dewcon View post
But..... only the beach modes work in the salt water ... which are multi freq. So im not sure what you are saying? Most large coils ive used thou, i have had to turn the sensitivity down IN the water thou i can get away without doing that in the wet sand some what. Let me add....... the gold guys seem to like the coverage this coil is giving them..... and they use 40khz. Not much deeper than the standard in those conditions thou.

Salt water can affect advantages of a large coil except coverage...... and pushing it slower might just make that go out the window too.
show me the gold guys with a big coil working at 40 kHz ?
I know what I'm talking about ...