Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 12-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Elite Member

Default Harbor frieght

I noticed that Harbor freight has a 25% off coupon valid now until the 17th. You can go to the web site and print it out. I did and I'm going to the store and get me a dual drum tumbler $59.99 will cost $45 before tax

Defendant: No your honor, I shot him in the ass as he jumped the fence!

Old 12-15-2017, 02:31 PM
Supporter

Merry Christmas to you!

Old 12-15-2017, 02:48 PM
Elite Member

I was asked what I wanted for Xmas and already put in my list,here’s the one I asked for.If I’d have known they were that cheap at harbor freight id have bought one.Ive never used one,but I got too many piles of clad and stuff to clean,Id never get it all done by Hand.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pplinker View post
Merry Christmas to you!
Thanks Merry Christmas to you too

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2017, 05:47 PM
Elite Member

Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler is a good little cheap machine. Ive had mine for 5 years and still running original belt. Just dont over tighten it and use light oil on the end of the "Non-drive" roller. I normally put about 1 full measuring cup of coins + 1 cup of aquarium gravel and then add water till 1" over top of that. Dish washing machine soap so you dont have a "blow out" from suds and run it 2 -4 hrs depending on how cruddy things are. Keep pennies separate from D, Q, N's.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:03 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by MadTownScoop View post
Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler is a good little cheap machine. Ive had mine for 5 years and still running original belt. Just dont over tighten it and use light oil on the end of the "Non-drive" roller. I normally put about 1 full measuring cup of coins + 1 cup of aquarium gravel and then add water till 1" over top of that. Dish washing machine soap so you dont have a "blow out" from suds and run it 2 -4 hrs depending on how cruddy things are. Keep pennies separate from D, Q, N's.
Thanks. You answered my question before I had a chance to ask.. lol I'll probably try in out tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2017, 09:26 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
I was asked what I wanted for Xmas and already put in my list,here’s the one I asked for.If I’d have known they were that cheap at harbor freight id have bought one.Ive never used one,but I got too many piles of clad and stuff to clean,Id never get it all done by Hand.
Sure the harbor freight is cheaper, but just based on the picture the model you posted has numerous advantages. Harbor freight, as is their norm, copied a common design that's been around for ages. I've known the flaws of the name brand version of what they offer, I highly doubt what they used to copy has any less flaws. I've used the design of the one you pictured, from a higher end brand also, and it is better in ways too lengthy to describe in short format.

The latter design is preferable in my experience, be it name brand or HF/whoever. The other design has it's purposes as well, and if budget is the main concern, go with that. I use both types regularly, the two-drum mostly for light cleaning of cartridge casings. The more exposed single drum for all kinds of things, from heavily corroded objects to small scale chemical processing.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:46 PM
Elite Member

you said you put in "1 full measuring cup of coins" that would be about 4 cups of coins?.. that seems like a lot. I assume you dive them into each barrel

Old 12-18-2017, 05:23 AM
Supporter

I paid $25 for my gear-driven plastic tumbler at Toys-R-us several years ago.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him

Old 12-24-2017, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

Default Harbor Freight

MadTownScoop,

I just got a Chicago Electric Power Tools Dual-Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler, item 67632, on Wednesday 12/20/2017 at a Harbor Freight Tools store.

The Owners Manual, Rev 16c that came in the box says on page 12 under Cleaning, Maintenance, and Lubrication, item 1. BEFORE FIRST USE and once a month following, put a few drops of oil on the Driving Shaft Bearings (42).

Did you mean to say "Non-drive" roller ?

ToddB64

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Old 12-26-2017, 03:24 PM
Elite Member

Yup. I specifically mentioned that one. As the other one (Drive) is pretty obvious. Non drive one can get gummy and then put too much strain on motor and belt by forcing the one drive roller to make it turn with the drum friction. I just oil both ends of both rollers. And try and clean the old worn off rubber from the drums off the rollers too.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Elite Member

Default Harbor Freight Dual-Drum Tumbler, item 67632

Yup. I specifically mentioned that one. As the other one (Drive) is pretty obvious. Non drive one can get gummy and then put too much strain on motor and belt by forcing the one drive roller to make it turn with the drum friction. I just oil both ends of both rollers. And try and clean the old worn off rubber from the drums off the rollers too.
Thanks MadTownScoop !

That's all good to know; you have probably helped me avoid some future problems.

ToddB64

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, Whites Classic II, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica I made, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Old 12-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Elite Member

Sure thing, Thats what this place is all about. Helping each other with, and prevent, problems.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:16 PM

Dish washing machine soap so you dont have a "blow out" from suds
Aaaah that's what caused the "blow out" ... *mental note* use dishwasher soap, not regular dishwashing liquid!

Old 01-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by BrahmanShaman View post
Aaaah that's what caused the "blow out" ... *mental note* use dishwasher soap, not regular dishwashing liquid!

LOL. Fortunately I read on here "How to clean your coins" years ago and did not have to learn the hard way. Back then I ran the tumbler on my kitchen counter. Nowadays I run it in the basement and just set my phone timer for 2hrs.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 PM

I hadn't cleaned coins in over a year, and back then i remember experimenting with 'recipes' found on the forum including vinegar, lemon juice, a pinch of salt... and didn't have the blow-out issue. I was really perplexed this time around- and because i had set up the tumbler in the garage and didn't check on it for a few hours - i didn't actually see the bubbles.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:16 PM
Supporter

I also use the Harbor Freight but I only have the single drum. I don't overload it too much. I use about 2-3 inches of smaller aquarium rocks ( not colored ) a good handful of coins, **** do not mix any pennies or all will be copper colored ****. I cover the load just that it covers all with white vinegar, 2 tablespoons of salt. Shake it up good, run for about 20 min., take off and shake it again run another 20 min. Take the canister top off , pour contents in a cheap plastic colander with small holes. It's kind of funky so I do this outside.
Does a good enough job if you are cashing in your clads. Coin star or roll them for bank.
Bubbaron

Old 03-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Pan4au : I think one full measuring cup of coins is ONE cup, full. You must be thinking of the 4 cup glass measuring cup that is commonly used to measure flour for baking. I don't think 4 cups of coins will fit into that tumbler.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:42 AM

Never having used such a tumbler for cleaning I wonder... does it beat the snot out of the coins or does it just take the tarnish/dirt off and leave them nice and shiny? Any pics to share?

Old 03-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jkbemdavis View post
Never having used such a tumbler for cleaning I wonder... does it beat the snot out of the coins or does it just take the tarnish/dirt off and leave them nice and shiny? Any pics to share?
Do a thread search on here and there are probably 100 differnent thread on cleaning with a tumbler and different mediums. I've left coins in a tumbler for days when I forgot about them and they come out fine when just using aquarium gravel and a squirt of Dawn. They don't always come out nice and shiny, depending on how they went in but it knocks the dirt off and makes them coinstar ready. Often mine still come out darker than normal and you can tell they were dug but at least they aren't caked in mud and look like coins again. Also as previously mentioned, don't mix copper/zinc in with the others unless you really like your coins orange looking.