Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Show Me Treasure
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 12-14-2017, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

Default Vibrating or roll? what's best type tumbler?

Hey, decided to buy a tumbler for clad only. Really wanted to keep the cost under $100. Which is best, those upright bowl type that vibrate?
Or the typical rolling can type? I'm thinking the red rolling style would be enough. Value the opinion of fellow pirates.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Administrator

The vibrating tumblers are primarily for cleaning used brass cartridges. Sure, some people use them for clad, but a rotating tumbler is much better for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The one lesson we've learned from history is that
we have not learned any of history's lessons.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:49 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Rudy View post
The vibrating tumblers are primarily for cleaning used brass cartridges. Sure, some people use them for clad, but a rotating tumbler is much better for that.
Thanks Rudy. That's what I'll get.
Just found some at decent prices.dual tumblers.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by tinsmith View post
Harbor Freight has decent ones, a few times a year they cut their prices way down and still let you use a 20 or 25% off coupon.
I bought the dual tumbler that way several years ago and still one of the smartest move I have made in this hobby.

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tinsmith View post
You are welcome.

The one lesson we've learned from history is that
we have not learned any of history's lessons.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:29 PM
Supporter

Hi,
I use the Chicago rotary rock tumbler with one canister to clean my clads. I put about 2" of smaller aquarium stone in the canister with a few quarter sized rocks and then put the coins in. I cover the load with white vinegar and add two table spoons of salt. Shake the canister a bit and then run for 15 min. Take the canister off the re-shake and run again for 15 min. Great results.
The Chicago rock tumbler with run you about $60-$70 on ebay. You can also clean coppers this was but never mix copper with silver. By the way, I am looking for a hunting pal in or around Schuylkill County, PA.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by bubbaron View post
Hi,
I use the Chicago rotary rock tumbler with one canister to clean my clads. I put about 2" of smaller aquarium stone in the canister with a few quarter sized rocks and then put the coins in. I cover the load with white vinegar and add two table spoons of salt. Shake the canister a bit and then run for 15 min. Take the canister off the re-shake and run again for 15 min. Great results.
The Chicago rock tumbler with run you about $60-$70 on ebay. You can also clean coppers this was but never mix copper with silver. By the way, I am looking for a hunting pal in or around Schuylkill County, PA.
Welcome to the forum....and you paid way too much.
That Chicago tumbler is Harbor Freight's brand, right now they have the dual tumbler for $59.95 and you can take up to 25% off of that with a coupon.
The single drum tumbler is $15 cheaper.
EBay is ok on some things, for others it us better just to go to the source.
https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-d...ler-67632.html

Still, you got one and it has been doing the job for you just fine so not a big deal.
These things pay for themselves in time saving and elbow grease no matter what you pay for them.

If you ever find any cool brass items these tumblers work really well on them too....among other things.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=196128
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=190366

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.