2017 COINSTAR Totals

jimther

Elite Member
The summary below is for Coinstar finds from Mid-January 2017 thru mid-January 2018. All are from Coinstar machines at three local grocery stores.

Not sure if the Summary or the photos will display first, but here goes:

Jim

2017 CoinStar totals

U.S. Coins
Silver: 7 Rosie dimes and 1 Merc dime
Clad: 65 dimes, 6 quarters,
Regular issue: 3 Wheat cents, 17 Jeff Nickels, 62 Memorial cents
Unusual: 1 Elongated Memorial Cent with design saying – Boston Red Sox, World Champions
Total U.S. coins: 158 - Face Value: $10.21

Foreign Coins

Canadian: 4 pennies, 7 quarters, 5 nickels, 6 dimes, 1 Loonie ($1.) Note: some of these not in photo because we go to Canada often and I took some to spend up there.
Aruba: 2 dimes, 3 nickels
Bermuda: 2 dimes
Australia: 1 nickel
Brasil: (1) 5-centavos, (1) 20 centavos
Bahamas: 1 penny, 1 quarter
France: (1) 50 centimes (a 1947)
England: (1) 5 Pence, (1) 10 Pence
Mexico: (2) $1.00, (1) $10.00
Honduras: (1) 5 centavos
Jamaica: (1) $1.00
EURO: 3 Euro 2 cents, 2 Euro 5 cents, 2 Euro 10 cents, 1 Euro 20 cents

Total Foreign Coins: 51

Novelty & Non-Coin

Plastic “COPY” of U.S. Coins (Play Money?) 2 Quarters, 1 penny, 1 dime & 1 Nickel
1 Wright’s Hollywood Park token
1 Teddy Bear Arcade token
1 large Button in the design of a German Maria Theresa thaler from 1780
1 New Hampshire Toll Road token
3 Boston MBTA ‘T’ tokens (brass)
1 Stainless Steel ring
1 Stain Steel ladies watch back

Total item count, Coins and Non-coins: 218

Attachments

• IMG_2320.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_2321.jpg
    IMG_2321.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_2325.jpg
    IMG_2325.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 523
Great coinstar year Jim, and nice start with 18k without even hunting! Good luck this year, hopefully see you this October? Happy hunting!

I found one coinstar coin all year. Most of the time i find a little dirt in the reject slot. One 2017 dime was my grand total.

Great mix of coins for the year... your 'teddy bear arcade token" is actually a mouse- Chuck E. Cheese . King of the Land of Birthday parties, Pizza, arcade games and animatronic characters. "Where A Kid Can Be A Kid!"

verry impresive

I never kept mine separate just dumped them in with the detecting finds , but never found that much yet in the reject tray. May be i will start keeping mine in a separate bag this year. Hit one today , got 1 crusty penny.

Nice

Nice haul you got there. I'm wondering how often you check. Can you estimate how many times you checked a reject slot during the year?
HH everyone

Nice work keeping tabs on all that! Nicely done! I only keep track of the silvers / wheats for some reason. The foreigners go into a jar. Hope to find a gold ring in the tray one of these days!

Wait a minute ... !

:oops:I just looked again at my photo of the SILVER dimes and saw a 1966. Hmmm. How did I mistake that for a silver. I looked at the stack of them on edge and the copper layer on that 1966 clad was not that visible. The face looked different than regular clad and more like silver. Guess that's how it ended up in that pile. Will be more careful next year. Still SIX free silver dimes without having to dig ain't bad.

Jim

Great mix of coins for the year... your 'teddy bear arcade token" is actually a mouse- Chuck E. Cheese . King of the Land of Birthday parties, Pizza, arcade games and animatronic characters. "Where A Kid Can Be A Kid!"

Hi Brahman. Check the photo again. I think the token you mention is the left one in the middle row, and yes that is a mouse on a Chuck E. Cheese token. Now look at the top row at the left of the big button. It's not that clear in the picture, but it does say TEDDY BEAR and the reverse [not pictured] is indeed a bear's head.

Thanks for paying attention - No points today though :dontthinkso:

Jim

Nice haul you got there. I'm wondering how often you check. Can you estimate how many times you checked a reject slot during the year?
HH everyone

I would say, maybe twice a day in each of three stores and 3 times on weekends :laughing: Juuuust kidding !

Hikerdude- I'd have to do some math. There's one of the three stores that isn't that convenient so I only checked that one maybe three times during the year, though that's the store where I scored the 1939 Merc dime a couple weeks ago. For the other two Coinstars, perhaps a total of 2-3 times a week on average. So, subtracting for the times we are away (vacation, etc.) 2-3 times a week X 48 = 96-144 times a year. Somehow that seems high. Anyway, I never kept track of my Coinstar visits. I'm retired and the grocery stores are close, so I go more frequently than if I was working or if they were further from home.
One thing that contributed to that large total was a 76-coin mini-bonanza with silver that I reported last month. See http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=254986
The other factor at work here is that I'm in a relatively densely populated area where the few CoinStars get a good amount of traffic. The 2018 Coinstar season is underway. My count so far is zip, nada, zilch :impatient:

Jim

Last edited:
Interesting. Never thought about keeping track of Coinstar finds for the year. Not once have I found silver. Well, sort of. A couple years back I bought a bunch of silver halves from some stoned guy at a Coinstar who only gave me 11 of the 18 silver half dollars for the $9 I could scrounge on a moment's notice. In the end I guess we both won.

On two occasions now I've seen the reject slot stuffed with a towel. Wonder who the culprit is?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom