Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 12-25-2017, 01:14 PM
Elite Member

Default Battery charger for electrolysis

Iíve been piddling around with electrolysis removal of rust from some of my items. But Iíve had a problem with using my car battery chargers. They are old but still seem to work ok but gradually Iím getting less and less from them when hooked up to my tank. Iíve had to use all 4 of them on one or two medium sized items. Recently I bought a new charger and hooked it up and a solid stream of bubbles came forth. Later it had stopped. Apparently it was a lemon and is going back.

I know I need a manual charger but donít want to spend too much nor too little.. which ones work for you?

Old 12-25-2017, 03:48 PM

Default Electrolysis

I have not used electrolysis for coins but have used for cleaning machine parts. I have used several battery chargers with success. Have you cleaned/changed your electrodes? Dirty electrodes really slow down the process.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:43 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Hilsat View post
I have not used electrolysis for coins but have used for cleaning machine parts. I have used several battery chargers with success. Have you cleaned/changed your electrodes? Dirty electrodes really slow down the process.
Yes I have.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Elite Member

first off, you should never use a car charger for electrolysis unless you are talking about something the size of a cannon!

There are so many threads and discussions I would take a while re-write everything. Basics for common finds should be, small 2-wire charger (less than 1 amp!!) , use clean water with a little WASHING SODA (aka borax) for the electrolyte, clean a section of the object to get a solid electrical contact, use scrap iron bits for your cathode, check the item periodically and scrub off the loosened crud. Electrolysis is a "line of site" process, if there is a side not facing towards and opposite charged pole, it wont clean. If you go too long you will destroy details left on your item. NEVER let to anode and cathode touch