Equinox no service after warranty?

choppadude

Forum Supporter
Just read on the Equinox FB page that someone was told that the Equinox cannot be serviced after the warranty expires. The only serviceable parts would be coil, battery and rod assembly. Several posted that this was confirmed by the UKs biggest repair center run by Steve Cox. I cannot fathom them doing something like this ad they still repair E Tracs and CTX's. If this is the case then it is definitely a game changer.

Just read on the Equinox FB page that someone was told that the Equinox cannot be serviced after the warranty expires. The only serviceable parts would be coil, battery and rod assembly. Several posted that this was confirmed by the UKs biggest repair center run by Steve Cox. I cannot fathom them doing something like this ad they still repair E Tracs and CTX's. If this is the case then it is definitely a game changer.

that seems like a major problem to me if its true.

Could explain the price difference between more expensive serviceable after the warranty models and the Equinox given its seemingly stellar performance.

For Example you could buy 2 or 3 equinox 800's for the price of a E-Trac/CTX in the event of a complete Equinox meltdown and get 3/6/9yrs of warranty

So it's a disposable unit? Like an iPhone? Battery dies and you buy another? If that's the case, wow! (except in this case, the battery is one of the few serviceable items).

Well, what does this mean for the end user actually? If true.
For example is or could Minelab sell upper rod with pod to someone?
If so how much?
If not priced too steep sounds like a good deal. You even get a new battery to boot.

How much does it cost to get CTX fixed? If something goes wrong internal?

If Minelab sells me an upper rod and pod with new battery for what $350 is this that bad? Or maybe $300 bucks. (For Equinox)

Just thinking out loud.

And being waterproof, with an older unit subject to heat, cold , salt water, etc.
I had much rather have a new pod vs fixing the older. New pod means new seals and new comments all. New keypads too.

If Minelab says they won't sell parts (components ) after warranty expires, the. This would be some thing to worry about. I haven't heard this yet though from official source.

Maybe I am wrong here. Has anyone had the electronics box repaired on a Makro or Nokta unit. Or do they swap out or send a new one?

I would almost get, if a person has Equinox failure the pod won't be repaired, rather a new one will be used for repair.
I'll show a pic here , why I think this.
Pic is in this link.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/5463-is-handle-adjustable/

Well,I don’t know how or if the battery could be changed,but I’m sure it will fail after time,all rechargeable do.You would think a company outside of Minelab would make and sell a aftermarket battery.
But if that is the truth,about it being a throw away machine,that’s a lot of money to throw away.Honestly,I won’t buy one for that reason if that’s true.I wouldn’t support the end result of screwing a consumer like that.

Well,I don’t know how or if the battery could be changed,but I’m sure it will fail after time,all rechargeable do.You would think a company outside of Minelab would make and sell a aftermarket battery.
But if that is the truth,about it being a throw away machine,that’s a lot of money to throw away.Honestly,I won’t buy one for that reason if that’s true.I wouldn’t support the end result of screwing a consumer like that.

Gotta ask.
What is the longest you have kept a new detector bought in last 5 years?

Gotta ask.
What is the longest you have kept a new detector bought in last 5 years?

I have 2 machines I've had for about 4 years now,and yeah I do buy and sell alot others.
But that's not my point,why would anyone invest in a throw away machine, especially one that is supposedly waterproof?.and cannot be repaired after warranty expires?
If that is true, something is wrong,either with the company knowing the longevity of the machine or the company ethics..Either way,I wouldn't want involved.

I have 2 machines I've had for about 4 years now,and yeah I do buy and sell alot others.
But that's not my point,why would anyone invest in a throw away machine, especially one that is supposedly waterproof?.and cannot be repaired after warranty expires?
If that is true, something is wrong,euther with the longevity of the machine or the company ethics..Either way,I wouldn't want involved.

Let's hear from Minelab. This what is being said goes against what is on their website. If they haven 't changed since I Last looked. They give a time frame for support after a model is discontinued. An at least time frame for support.

https://www.minelab.com/usa/customer-care/product-notices/discontinued-products

Notice the word support is used, not repair.

Equinox likely is the first mid range to higher priced detector to be "fixed" through detector main component swap. This is what the gent is referring to. Yes a departure from normal ops, but doesn't mean what some are trying to make it mean. Like I said Makro and Nokta already do this. Less footprint, cost less in the long run.

Last edited:
Well,if it’s true I think Minelabs ad was a misprint...(all other machines are obsolete)I think they meant the equinox is obsolete after the warranty.:laughing:

Here is a post off FB EQ page

" I have just had it confirmed by Steve Cox.

The unit is ultrasonically welded, the only parts that are serviceable are battery, shafts and coil, so no access to the internal workings of the unit."

I just read a reply to that Facebook post that stated after warranty period yes the equinox can be opened up to repair/replace individual components. And then resealed.. also aftermarket will be doing that also for repairs .. I see no big deal here.

I just read a reply to that Facebook post that stated after warranty period yes the equinox can be opened up to repair/replace individual components. And then resealed.. also aftermarket will be doing that also for repairs .. I see no big deal here.

Hope this is the case cause if this detector is as good as I am hearing it will be getting a lot of use and will require repairs eventually.
I'm not trying to smear ML I was just as shocked as anyone by this news and hope the reliable info gets out there soon to calm any fears. I must say I own several Minelabs and have owned more than a few in the past and have only had one issue that I was able to repair myself with a aftermarket part.

Thanks. Good news.

Choppadude

Charging my EQ 800 now, i have had no issue's with any ML machines except the Excalibur's, also none from Fisher , or Whites, i think you might be walking the plank a tad to early bro., happy hunting. :heybud::snapoutofit::beers:

Charging my EQ 800 now, i have had no issue's with any ML machines except the Excalibur's, also none from Fisher , or Whites, i think you might be walking the plank a tad to early bro., happy hunting. :heybud::snapoutofit::beers:

Just thinking out loud Earl. If this is the case then maybe it shows they have faith in their product. Who knows it may outlast some of those old faded white Explorers LOL!
Beat the tar out of yours Earl and let us know how it holds up:mder:

I see no problem...the handle/pod unscrews from the shaft so even if they cant open it a person could just pay for a new handle/pod assembly...probably just someone/company trying to scare people from buying an equinox. Every other manufacturer out there knows their sales/profits are going to plummet....

heck evidently Makro/ Nokta wants detectors to be like cell phones. I posted on another forum in a thread with a guy asking about the impact, kruzer and nox and all i did was tell the guy i wouldnt even consider and impact unless he got a smoking deal..Now lets not forget I owned both a racer and racer 2 up until just a couple weeks ago....here was the reply I got...

bigboar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> personally, I wouldnt even consider the impact unl
> ess you get a smokin’deal on one. Nokta/makro comp
> letely destroyed the value of one with the Kruzer.
> They did the same thing to a lesser extent with th
> e racer/racer2 and I remember feeling the same way
> when I couldnt sell my racer without taking a hosi
> ng on it.
>
Dear Bigboar, I am not responding to this post to change how you feel about our products but I feel like I must make something clear...

First of all, when we first announced the merger of Nokta & Makro Detectors, our announcement included the following lines ...''We will not only offer a richer product portfolio to our customers but address the whole market demand with products at different price levels....'' and this is still part of our goal today.

Second, when we released the Racer, we got tons and tons of feedbacks from end users asking for different settings, features etc and we did our best to offer that in the Racer 2… then came the Impact, our most advanced unit (and it still is today) with 12 different search modes offering a very powerful and versatile detector. Meanwhile, customers have been asking us to offer a waterproof unit at an affordable price…. So we did it…

If you look at the manufacturers in any industry today, whether it is the cars or cell phones, they constantly offer new products because development is an ongoing process and demands and needs differ from individual to individual, country to country…

Now, if as a manufacturer we are to be blamed for listening to our customers and for developing products and offering them pretty fast, then yes we are guilty ….but also very proud given the fact that 2 of the models listed in the title of this thread belongs to our company.

Thank you!

The money you'll save from buying those Doan's pills, plus what you can sell those gold chains for, folks will have no problems with this issue.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom