Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 12-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Elite Member

Wowzers!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-16-2017, 08:18 AM
Supporter

What an incredible cache!! If I found something like this I don't know if I'd post it on a public forum. I'd be afraid the tax guy might catch up with me

Old 12-16-2017, 08:44 AM
Elite Member

I think I just decided where my next vacation will be I just can't decide whether to go north or south of the santa Barbara line possibly both? South=silver north=gold if im not mistaken? Really great finds! Congrats!

☆Shield-0~V's-1~Buff-1☆

Old 12-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
I think I just decided where my next vacation will be I just can't decide whether to go north or south of the santa Barbara line possibly both? ....

haha, well it's only southern CA proficient hot-shot hunters that we don't allow north of Santa Barbara. Out of state hunters can hunt anywhere in the state. Provided, of course, that you send me 30% "tax" on your finds. I accept paypal.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Supporter

Default 11 Gold coins and nuggets

I don’t even have the words to describe how amazing that is. Probably the life savings of some miner who was out looking for more and got washed away by a flash flood or mauled by a bear. Why else would he have walked away from that cache? Simply amazing. Congrats.

Last edited by jwp1964; 12-16-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
haha, well it's only southern CA proficient hot-shot hunters that we don't allow north of Santa Barbara. Out of state hunters can hunt anywhere in the state. Provided, of course, that you send me 30% "tax" on your finds. I accept paypal.
30%!?!?!?!?!? Thats too much! I would feel much more comfortable with 35%

☆Shield-0~V's-1~Buff-1☆

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:07 AM
Elite Member

Amazing.. A Lifetime Dreams gold coins and nuggets and fines too. Congrats..
I'm turning green... lol

Defendant: No your honor, I shot him in the ass as he jumped the fence!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Elite Member

Speechless I am. Jealous am I too.

BCD

Old 12-16-2017, 09:43 AM

Totally awesome! THAT is what we're all looking for!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Elite Member

That is freaking incredible! Huge congrats and nice work!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Elite Member

Absolutely unreal. You just totally ruined it for those of us waiting to post our first measly GW find!

I would seriously camp at a location like the one you found until every last target was removed.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Digger View post
No words to describe that find. Congrats to you! Is there any way to tell exactly what that thing was that the coins were in? Also, would you mind listing out the individual dates of the coins, and any mint marks? I can almost see them in the pics but can't zoom in. Thx.

It was a home made coin roll. They snipped a can and bent it. It coin busted open by later activity in the area.

$2.5’s- 1843-O, 1847-C, 2-1856-S, 1854-Philly. Last one might be wrong date. I don’t it on my list

$5’s-1852-philly, 1855-S, 1856-S, 1852 British sovereign-?, 20 Franc-1811-Paris/A, I don’t have the last one in front of me

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 AM

freakin' amazing. A purse ! (or "cache" or whatever one wants to call it). And for the crowning glory, you go back to the site and find a few straggler gold coins separately. Sheesk. This is the hole in one / Holy Grail of all md'ing. Other md'rs will now call you "sir". And you can autograph other's detectors.

Looking back at your post history, I see you are from CA. This confirms our suspicions that they were found out west . (Who needs those pesky LC's, colonial coppers, and busts from back east anyhow ? )

As for the nuggets in with the coins: Have you watched Ron (Rocklin CA) videos ? ("California Relic Adventures" @ youtube). He had a find, before he started making live video captures, from about 15+ yrs. ago, in the Folsom/Auburn, CA area: So although it's not on a video, I'm sure you can find a post or pix of it: He got a signal at the base of a rock/boulder outcropping. He found about a dozen coins, that had apparently , at one time, been a leather or cloth purse (there was a metal clasp of the purse left, if I recall). They were all gold rush era seateds, and a single gold coin (a $5, if I recall). And, like your story, he noticed what appeared to be gold nuggets. He collected all the dirt, and went through the tailing with a nugget detector. And got a bunch of nuggets to go with the coins. A miner who had his purse of both nuggets and coins.

I'm ~3+ hrs. from the Sierra foothills. So I don't get over that way very often for relic hunting. But whenever I have (Snelling to Mariposa corridor) it's always been TOUGH work. There is indescribable amounts of iron and slag around all the gold rush tent-city and stage stop and cellar holes type spots. And coins are very difficult to pull. Much less gold coins. And MUCH LESS GOLD COIN CACHES. Big hats off to you !

This was a gold rush location in Amador County. I grew up there and watched my dad dig an intact bottle from the foundation as a kid. Decided to go back.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TrashMasterCCS View post

$2.5’s- 1843-O, 1847-C, 2-1856-S, 1854-Philly. Last one might be wrong date. I don’t it on my list

$5’s-1852-philly, 1855-S, 1856-S, 1852 British sovereign-?, 20 Franc-1811-Paris/A, I don’t have the last one in front of me .....

What ?? No coins older than 1700 ? The east coast guys are bored now.

So the NEWEST coin was mid 1850s. That was a sort of "peak" of the gold rush date-era. This is going to go down as one of the legendary finds of the forum.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

This find continues to amaze me and everyone else...and should be a lesson to any naysayers who think there’s “nothing left”. What did gold and silver miners do back in the day? They mapped,they surmised,they plotted...they thought about where those things might be and went and searched. We are really no different then our ore seeking predecessors,we want the same thing...albeit in a different more pure form with dates and mintmarks which potentially change the overall value. We are all seekers...adventurers...miners....historians...all of us accumulating equipment,knowledge and outright skill in hopes of recovering a find of a lifetime like this.
OP-How does “The Count of ______ County” sound? I’ll really be pumped when I find that next Merc,thanks a bunch!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:38 AM
"Can Do" Moderator

Moving this to EYE POPPING where your initial thread is.

This is almost as amazing as all those cans of gold coins found a few years back!

HUGE Congratz!!!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:39 AM

What ?? No coins older than 1700 ? The east coast guys are bored now.

So the NEWEST coin was mid 1850s. That was a sort of "peak" of the gold rush date-era. This is going to go down as one of the legendary finds of the forum.

I have gone back to the hole 4 times now and each time it gave me something new. Sounds kinda dirty. First time 1 coin. Second a can with coins. Third another $5. 4th nuggets and flakes. I have major EMI interference at this site so give me a break. Lesson here is if something incredible comes out it is time to excavate and pinpoint.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View post
Moving this to EYE POPPING where your initial thread is.

This is almost as amazing as all those cans of gold coins found a few years back!

HUGE Congratz!!!

Ron,

Can you delete my original post to avoid confusion? I was hesitant to post the entire find at first.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:49 AM
"Can Do" Moderator

Ron,

Can you delete my original post to avoid confusion? I was hesitant to post the entire find at first.

Done!

Old 12-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Elite Member

I have gone back to the hole 4 times now and each time it gave me something new. Sounds kinda dirty. First time 1 coin. Second a can with coins. Third another $5. 4th nuggets and flakes. I have major EMI interference at this site so give me a break. Lesson here is if something incredible comes out it is time to excavate and pinpoint.

Every time I’ve gone “back to a hole” it’s always TAKEN something. You got a lucky one!