• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ever wish your finds could talk?

gseuser

Elite Member
Late night pondering, but do you ever wonder or wish your finds could talk? Ive always wondered who's hands the coins I've found went through or who's coat the buttons I've found hung on. Its just the many fun things of this hobby, imagining the journey your finds took before going into the ground. Sometimes finds do however speak for themselves. I love this hobby!

Yes that would be so cool, because, like you've already said, you could learn a lot about how and why this item ended up where you dug it up. And maybe your find will tell you where you can find more awesome treasures! :)

Be careful what you wish for.
I turned over a small plug once and looked in the hole and see this staring at me.
Getting some historical info is one thing...getting an attitude back from your targets is another.

Attachments

• photostudio_1505125294359.jpg
    photostudio_1505125294359.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 215
The only large cent I ever found (too worn to see a date) was on a footpath beside the Dismal Swamp Canal in Virginia, and I have often wondered who last touched it before I found it, and what his/her life was like when the coin was lost.

I also wondered about the #@!!&# that shot about a hundred rounds of .22 in the same general area. Those little brass cases give a really good signal, but after about 5 or 6 they cease to be amusing. :)

Yeah... I used to wish that...

Until I found a buried biscuit-tin full of moldy love letters and a pair of rudely graffitied briefs...

That's what I love about this. And any story you can get on a item. I found a large cent that was stabbed several times with a knife and there was a stab mark but it was full. I stuck a lil magnet to it and sure enough the tip of the knife blade is still in the coin. I've always wondered what the story is with that coin and did someone ruin their good knife on it.

Mine do talk... the tabs, foil, iron, barbed wire, rusty bucket pieces, all say something to me, but it's probably not suitable for print on a family friendly forum what it IS they actually say to me! lol

Yes. I often find old mine tags and tops to oil lamps and wonder who the person might have been, where they lived and did they have a family, etc.

I often wonder how things get where I find them. I found a button that said Paris on the back that was identified by a forum member as being Spanish. He posted a link that I used to narrow the time period. It was a button from a Spanish infantryman from about 1898. An unusual find here, I still wonder about how it wound up where I found it.

Late night pondering, but do you ever wonder or wish your finds could talk? Ive always wondered who's hands the coins I've found went through or who's coat the buttons I've found hung on. Its just the many fun things of this hobby, imagining the journey your finds took before going into the ground. Sometimes finds do however speak for themselves. I love this hobby!

I'm thinking if you dug a lead toy soldier and it started talking to you , you would break the record for the 40 yard dash to your car. LOL. But yea, that would be cool.

One item I found was a heel plate with the hart cutout. Boy the story's that would have to tell. It was found in upstate NY. Never thought that I would find one around here

For me that is the main reason I like metal detecting. Not so much for new jewelry which is good just for its value but old coins and relics which are things lost by people who are dead now. We will never know the story behind it but we can guess. I find a lot of melted metal and sometimes coins here that are probably from the 1923 earthquake fires or 1945 firebombings but you still don't know the individual stories.

I get a visual that takes me back into the era that the coins are dated. Relics do the same for me although I can only imagine their origination or time period. For me this is the beauty of this hobby. I can forget where my mind is at the moment and go somewhere into the past.

Back
Top Bottom