Remington-UMC Nitro Club Info

turtlefoot

Headstamp Addict
Several people have found REM-UMC Nitro Club heads lately and have been wanting some reliable dates for them. I have been trying to get a good date range and finally got some info from Remington. Both Remington-UMC and REM-UMC were used close together. Remington told me that these heads date from 1913-1915.

Doug

picture.php

picture.php

Moderators - If I don't have this in the right place, will you please move it where it belongs. Thanks

Hi Doug.

I want to thank you for the info. I will be in contact with you later this fall when I clean my shotgun head finds. I see some starting to collect these and I too am going to start (even going back and sorting this years finds) keeping and cataloging them. I probably will PM you, but just thought this is easier for now.

Take care,

NebTrac

Hey NebTrac,

Feel free to PM me anytime with any questions or whatever. If I can help with anything I sure will. I hope that you have found some good heads!

Doug

When it comes to finding accurate dates, my problem is, there are so many conflicting ranges online and in books. Source A will say one range, Source B will be close but different by a couple of years and Source C will be way off in left field. I suspect that some of the problems are some sources are giving ranges for the line and other sites are giving exact dates for a specific headstamp design.

It's like with this example. I sent Remington the two pics above because the are very similar to ones that I was asked about. The date range that I was given came directly from Remington, which technically should be accurate. Remington was very specific with the dates for these specific headstamps. Here's the problem. I know that the Nitro Club was made well into the 1940's (according to magazine ads and store displays). Now to try to figure out what order the headstamps came in and what the more recent ones look like.

Doing some other research, I also found out that there is one Winchester head that had over 400 seperate loads associated with it (both Winchester and private loads). Without knowing the load, paper color and top wad, it is impossible to date the head so it is usually given the date that Winchester factory loaded it (even though the shell was sold empty to different stores for custom or private loads for years before and after the years that Winchseter did factory loads).

Doug

thanks for the info you provide turtlefoot.

i just found one of these headstamps in my garden. the raccoons ate my corn so i mowed that section and out popped this

i thought with a name like "nitro" it was newer but i reckon with it's rough appearance and stamp it's from someone hunting here 100 years ago. cool

here's the pic and a negative of the pic

Attachments

• nitroclub.jpg
    nitroclub.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 11,170
  • nitroclub2.jpg
    nitroclub2.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 10,828
lol.. I was just going to ask you Doug what an REM-UMC Nitro Club No. 12 is...I've found quite a few of them across the street at the park... almost all of them are very legible and just look a bit dirty. Heck you can even see the dimple where the firing pin hit.

Hey guys. I just found this thread while I was looking for info on old shotgun shells. I found three and I think they are all old. The first is a REM-UMC Nitro Club, the second is a Remington Express 16 GA and the third is a Federal Monark No. 12. I saw the note about the age of the REM-UMC, but I can't seem to find anything else about the other two. Any input would be appreciated!
thanks
Mike

Attachments

• shotgun shells.jpg
    shotgun shells.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 10,998
Headstamps

I have found 3 and figure the search area has many of them, one is a winchester 12 gauge repeater,One is a defiance no 12 with a big S on it, the last is a remington 20gauge Express??? I looked up the 2 12 gauge on a link someone posted here and it looked like they are from the 20s or 30s, I just found the 20 gauge haven't looked it up yet. I was finding nothing but foil, melted metaL, pull tabs and bottle caps etc. So I was writing the area off until I saw the age of the headstamps, two minutes after I returned there I found a 1918 merc... :biker::digginahole::biker:

hey doug, as always you the man. great to have your help and knowledge on this forum. dug four stamps today but have not cleaned them up yet. if i find anything cool i'll give you a holler. HH blev

Thanks for the info! I just found a REM-UMC 32 WCF cartridge on a forest hunt this week. It was about 6" or more down in the dirt. Not Nitro Club as mentioned, but maybe from the early 1900's as well?

Back
Top Bottom