• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mystery Coins

CharlieT84

Elite Member
Any idea what this is? I believe it is silver. It is a little smaller and thinner than a dime. I show the front and the back. I've had this for a long time (40 years +) but can't remember where I picked it up. Thanks for any help you can offer. The dime is just for a size comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_0655r2.JPG
    IMG_0655r2.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0658r2.JPG
    IMG_0658r2.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 593
It appears to be a seated half dime made into a love token. A common practice in the 1800's. Very nice find.

Very nice half dime love token.
Let me know if you would like to sell it to a collector:D

Attachments

• Love tokens.jpg
    Love tokens.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 601
So it was originally a seated half dime? For real?
Thank you for the replies.
What is something like this worth?

Last edited:
So it was originally a seated half dime? For real?
Thank you for the replies.
What is something like this worth?

To a coin dealer, probably close to melt value. To a collector, maybe 5-10$, 20$ if your lucky...really cool coin! Still trying to find a love token, a friend has found 2 in the wild, so I know they are out there!

I wish I'd found that. My mom and two of my daughters have those initials! Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like I said in my original post I have had this for 40 years and can't remember where I came by it. It wasn't something I dug up I know that for sure as my old detector was a Jetco Mustang (radio Shack) and I only found two noteworthy coins with it. 1883 Indian Head penny and a 1902 Barber. They both were just under the surface at 1/2 inch. :lol:
anything deeper it wouldn't detect unless it was the size of a city bus LOL
Most of the coins in my collection came from my mother's upholstery business. We found quite a few nice coins when stripping off the old fabric and replacing. It was a way she enticed me to help remove the old covering. The biggest find was several mercury dimes in one couch. Couldn't believe it when she handed me the baggie with all those dimes. That hooked me on coin collecting in my early teens. I guess this love token came from one of those pieces of furniture.

Back
Top Bottom