Ground Balance Numbers Question

gwadam1

Sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search and only find information telling what the numbers mean.

Ok, I ground balanced my detector. Now what? I see MD's giving a set of GB numbers. I get it, I know it has to do with mineralization in the soil. I know what the numbers tend to mean. Now, the question is "What do you do with those numbers afterward? What purpose do they really serve? Can you use those numbers for anything?

I don't think there is anything You can do with the numbers. The computer does it all. Once you figure out what's average for your area, anything way off those numbers let's you know there is something funky with the dirt. I have noticed in yards it's often coal cinders. In my older parks it's industrial fly ash or incinerator trash used as fill. Worst case is lead mine tailings

Normally a higher number means more mineralization,or “bad ground”. This also generally means that you won’t be getting the same depth as you would if the ground balance number was substantially lower,indicating “mild ground”. The numbers themselves are just what Scooter said...a reference for your own knowledge of what kind of ground you have. You can also use the number to create an “offset”...say your number is 80 on a scale of 0-99. Some machines allow you to manually change this number so you could “artificially trick the machine” into thinking the ground wasn’t as mineralized by manually bumping the number down to say 55....but at the expense of noisier operation in the form of false signals from the ground matrix.

Thank you

Thank you gentlemen. That is pretty much what I figured but I am still a novice to MD'ing and I though I was missing something.

There could be some thing a person can do with the numbers.

Inert or lower mineral ground tends to run lower or at zero GB wise when doing ground balance.

So using an Eqx 800, one has different speed settings. When soil is milder Eqx 800 can be run with lower speed setting (slower) and get more depth.

In higher mineral ground EQX will likely need to be run as higher speed setting (faster) in order perform. If one tried to run Eqx too slow speed setting wise it could fail to detect things or call nonferrous actually ferrous and user will walk right by.

The more allowed speed settings on EQx 800 is one advantage it has on the Eqx 600 model.

Cheers.

The Eqx does not have a mineral strength meter like Xp Deus, Fisher F75, etc.
So using GB number can be used to give hint system of mineralization levels.
Using GB numbers though not as ideal vs using mineralization index strength meters.

A question here with answer.
If my Eqx ground balances and a higher number is displayed in meter, and another person say 100 miles away from me balances their EQx and a lower numer is displayed. Is my soil the higher mineralized ? Could be or could not be. I have actually read where I know for a fact their ground is higher mineralized than mine yet their GB balance numer is lower.
So using the GB number to gauge mineralization levels not iron clad.

With an Xterra, the higher the number the lower the mineral content. The numbers with those machines actually reflects the phase angle shift employed to deal with whatever the level is.
And there is a procedure to actually measure relative mineralization, and even distinguish between conductive and magnetic mineral levels.

Ok, I guess the best purpose would be to keep a log of locations with their corresponding "mineralization" numbers. Then that information can be used for subsequent hunts with different equipment with annotations for variations in equipment performance. Does anyone do this already? Once again thank you everyone for your kind and informative responses.

Back
Top Bottom