Quick Hunt Nets a Nasty Half Dime

Diggum

Elite Member
I take my eldest son to jujitsu Wednesday and Saturday. Typically, I will find someplace to hunt, usually a nearby school or vacant lot. This evening, I told him I'd try out the oldest spot in town, again, where I'd previously found a half dime with two holes in it.

"Don't you mean a nickel, dad?" he asked.

"No, a half dime," was my reply.

I explained the difference, dropped him off, proceeded to this very trashy and hunted out location (a hotel once stood there, but was burned down), and the first signal that sounded half way decent (19 on my Nox with the 6" coil) was this ugly broad. A seated Liberty half dime. Woohoo! I've only found two, and both were at this location!

It's seen better days, having been gouged badly long before I found it, and a bit corroded and fire-damaged, but it's a half, no doubt. I'm having a hard time with the last digit on the date. Does anyone have a solid opinion? 3, 5, 7?

Attachments

• 20190320_201129.jpg
    20190320_201129.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 20190320_201955.jpg
    20190320_201955.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 342
  • 20190320_202307.jpg
    20190320_202307.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 324
You're right. It's nasty sickly. But it still counts as a half-dime :hi5:

You're right. It's nasty sickly. But it still counts as a half-dime :hi5:
Thanks, Tom! Your 30% is on the way in the form of a penny and half rotted zincoln.
My guess is a 7, but the pic is blurry. Still a nice find.
Thank you. It looks a little more rounded, to me, but I suppose it could be a 7. Still nearly worthless in value, but worth a ton to me!
Nice find....it seems to me that this coin may be suffering from some of effects of the fire that burned down the hotel.
Definitely. I may try some laquer thinner to remove what looks like fire-induced varnish. To me, it has more intrinsic value with the damage, so maybe I won't...
Ugly mugly, :laughing: congrats.
Merci!
It's ugly in appearance, but beautiful where it counts :laughing:!!! Congrats!!!
Thank you!
Toasty or not it still counts! congrats!
Thanks for the support!
Dayum Diggum! Sweet half dime :wow:

Very very cool find, nice work and major congrats!
Thanks, GS! Considering the location, I've been VERY lucky to get anything other than scrap out of there. Lots of pieces of glass, bottle bits, and iron galore. I LOVE that 6 inch coil!
Dang! That coin get scraped by road grader and steam roller!:shock: It went through a life of hard knocks!:shock:
Definitely saw some abuse in the soil!
Its nasty but is sure is pretty to me. That is awesome! Congrats on a serious bucketlister for me.
Thanks, Saltshaker! Just dig all of those zincoln signals, and some day you're bound to find one, too! :yes:

My first thought was to post that a nasty half dime I is still a great find. But man that is nasty. Wow. If there was a forum contest for nasty silver you have an entry.

My first thought was to post that a nasty half dime I is still a great find. But man that is nasty. Wow. If there was a forum contest for nasty silver you have an entry.

Hahaha! Thank you!

I took some pictures in better light, and you can definitely see Liberty better. Also, the date, when compared to exemplars online, looks to me like 1851, due to what looks like a line under the last digit. 1857 has no line at the bottom. Safe to call it 1851, y'all?

Attachments

• 20190321_124444.jpg
    20190321_124444.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 20190321_124545.jpg
    20190321_124545.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 205
Not the prettiest coin but still a beautiful recovery. Congrats! Trapper
Thank you, Trapper!
A half dime is still on my bucket list, I'd take any half, even a worn, scratched, burned one!
Thank you, Silver_Seeker. You'll find one! Just dig those penny signals. So many people skip those...
Still beautiful!
Thank you, DIGGER27!
Congrats! :hi5: It may not be the most appealing coin to look at, but it definitely counts! :woot:
I would agree. :yes:
Thank you, Wolf-Dog! I'm inclined to agree with your agreeing with me... :D I think I'll update my signature soon. Woot!

Back
Top Bottom