Shovel battle New Predator VS Sampson - Raptor 31c lovers rejoice

Big Treble

Forum Supporter
So this Raptor 31c definitely has my interest, but all the advantages I see might get negated due to my shoulders and watching guys work it into the ground. But man do people seem to love them.

So along came Pam Lesche and she designed this shovel. So I'm comparing it to my old standby, my Sampson 31. Now WW manufacturing made the Sampson 31 and also makes the standard Lesche Digger many use. As I understand George and Pam split off and created Predator Tools which makes the beloved Raptor 31c and many others.

In a nutshell this Ladybug Shovel is definitely a winner, while I haven't dug with it yet, look how well the neck is beefed up. I have bent the neck on my Sampson as many have either prying or I frozen ground.

The with is the same on both blades, one wide point is just leading and the other is trailing. The Ladybug has a 1" wider and longer blade than the Raptor and an inch longer than the Sampson

The stem connecting the shovel to the handle is about 1/16 wider than the Sampson and has a weld along the spine for strength. While I could be wrong I don't think these are two different halves. There is also much more material connecting the neck to the blade, which can no doubt make it stronger. Wider spot for your foot is also a huge plus.

While I loved my Sampson, I'm thinking the Ladybug is the clear winner.

Attachments

• 20190303_102914_resized.jpg
    20190303_102914_resized.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 489
  • 20190303_102929_resized.jpg
    20190303_102929_resized.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 464
  • 20190303_102956_resized.jpg
    20190303_102956_resized.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 435
  • 20190303_103037_resized.jpg
    20190303_103037_resized.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
The one downside to my Samson, for me, is the 31" length.
It's a little short for me. I wish it was 6-8" longer. I'm 6'2".

The lady bug looks a bit shorter.

It looks like the wider foot rests would limit the depth without having to dig a larger hole.

Not sure what you mean here sir. The Sampson has a fold on the top that stops it from going any deeper. The Ladybug would do the same but the longer blade would be deeper

The one downside to my Samson, for me, is the 31" length.
It's a little short for me. I wish it was 6-8" longer. I'm 6'2".

The lady bug looks a bit shorter.

I'm 6'2" as well or at least use to be. I've really never felt the Sampson too short, I hope the 3 " won't do me in on the Ladybug

Not sure what you mean here sir. The Sampson has a fold on the top that stops it from going any deeper. The Ladybug would do the same but the longer blade would be deeper

I think what he means is that the footsteps stick out wider than the blade. So if you want to go deeper once the initial plug is out, you would have to widen the hole. The sampson will still fit in the hole without having to make it wider since the footsteps don't stick out past the width of the blade. However the ladybug's blade is longer and if you don't need to go any deeper than that you're ok. There's been many times where I've gone deeper than the length of the sampson's blade and the width of the hole is no wider than the blade.

It looks like the wider foot rests would limit the depth without having to dig a larger hole.

I guess a solution to that would be to take an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade and trim those foot rests to the same width as the widest part of the blade.

I guess a solution to that would be to take an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade and trim those foot rests to the same width as the widest part of the blade.

Ahhhhhh, I feel like a dope, that's exactly what he said lol. Didn't think of taking a second stab at it.

Ahhhhhh, I feel like a dope, that's exactly what he said lol. Didn't think of taking a second stab at it.

No worries, I've had my share of feeling like a dope:lol: Oh, and thanks for taking those side by side comparison pics!

Back
Top Bottom