Custom modes on an AT Max

StClair72

Anyone have any good tried and true custom modes for an AT Max? I'm a beginner so I'm not sure how to use my machine (Or any machine) very well. Just trying to figure things out.

Anyone have any good tried and true custom modes for an AT Max?

I don’t own an AT Max anymore, but I used one all of last year. First, I always ground balanced the machine when I turned it on at a new location and then I re-balanced fairly often as I hunted, though the numbers rarely fell outside the 82-92 range in my area. Sensitivity as needed to keep it stable - generally at least 1 or 2 bars below maximum. I didn’t notch anything out, but set iron disc up to around 34-44 depending on how trashy the site was. I used “Custom” mode to set that up, just so I didn’t lose whatever Iron Disc setting I was using if I shut the machine down like you would in “Zero” mode. I usually hunted with Threshold set to +1 or +2, which gave me a vague but constant background hum. And I always hunted with Iron Audio off - I would turn it on occasionally when I wanted to get more information on an individual target. These settings worked well for me as a relics and coin hunter. If you’re strictly a coin shooter, you’ll want different settings.

In my opinion, one of the best things you can do for the AT Max is purchase a Garrett 5x8 DD search coil. Excellent performance, and the separation just couldn't be beat compared to larger coils. The 5x8 was my "go to" coil for private lawns, curb strips, most park situations, and eventually most fields too.

I second what AirmetTango says. I'm coming up on a year using the ATMax and I usually just turn on the machine in Zero mode and start swinging. Ground balancing is something I normally don't do unless the thing is acting abnormally. GB numbers in my area are usually in a tight range, from 86 to 90. Closer to the Gulf coast or on the beach, I've seen 92-93, but I don't go to the beach often.

That 5x8" coil recommendation is golden. I have 4 coils, but 99.44% of the time, I'm swinging that 5x8". Plenty of depth and easy target pinpointing using the wiggle method. I got 177 coins yesterday and a few pieces of jewelry. Target retrieval is simple and quick.

5x8 is my coil of choice, pro zero no iron disc for me. I like to hear it all. I also have an at gold, thresh at plus 1, slight hum . Works well for me.swing beep dig. Happy Hunting

never touched a max, but on the Pro I can't see much reason for the custom mode. The only time I have used it was looking for an earring when I had the other to get numbers from and once on a clad dump with everything but quarters discriminated.

...on the Pro I can't see much reason for the custom mode. The only time I have used it was looking for an earring when I had the other to get numbers from and once on a clad dump with everything but quarters discriminated.

You actually just listed two very good reasons for the custom mode. As others have mentioned, the settings in custom aren't lost when you turn off the detector.

I sometimes switch between a custom mode and the wide open pro zero mode for reasons similar to the way people switch iron audio on and off to quiet down certain signals and then get a better picture of what's around a good signal.

Back
Top Bottom