• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Left em' beeping

Mr. C

Hi All,

In fishing they call it "left em' biting", so for detecting I guess you would call it "left em' beeping".

As I was headed out to scout a local park, my wife's friend told me they had a wooded property that that I could detect that "used to have cabin on it". She told me where it was and within 30 minutes I was there with the deus in hand.

I could only tolerate the bugs for about an hour, but was able to pull out one lincoln and one 1949 roosevelt, along with a ton of shell casings.

Gonna have to get back there with a can of bug spray IMG_20170521_105431035.jpg

I left and on the way to that original park I passed a small park next to an elementary school. Sunday morning at 10 am was the perfect time to try it so I did.

It was evident that the park was relatively new, with mostly can slaw and newer clad. Since I only had a little time left and wanted some older stuff I decided to slowly work my way back to the car when i got a solid 97 on the deus in a small and repeatable tone. I figured it was going to be a aluminum can, but decided to dig it anyway.

To my surprise, it was a quarter pocket spill right at the surface
IMG_20170521_120109201.jpg
Not shown was 2 nickels and 3 dimes that were about 4 inches away that i hadnt found yet.

I decided to check around that area a little more and found an area like I have never experienced. In a spot about 5 foot by 5 foot I got a dozen readings on every sweep and they were all between 85 and 97. There were so many that i figured something large was buried and almost skipped it. Luckily I decided to dig just one of the higher readings and in that hole i found a quarter. My MI-6 said there was more in the hole and i then found a dime,, then another dime. It was at that moment that I realized that all those I was about to dismiss were actually coins.
I dug as many signals as I could in about an hour and pulled up

1 old bottlecap
11 clad quarters
10 clad dimes
10 nickels
9 pre-zinc memorials
16 zincons
IMG_20170521_130754885.jpg

Here's the thing, I kept saying to myself "Just one more" because it was so much fun, but was out of time. I decided to grid the area and see how much was left and stop counting at around 50 solid tones. LOL. Now I have the perfect spot to go to next time i want to have a blast digging clad.

Part of what I love about detecting is speculating about why things are were they are. Nearest I can figure, they must have had a fair or fundraiser and had a coin toss booth in that spot. No junk, no glass, all the coins are 2 inches down and about the same age.

Oh yeah, as i was leaving a man and his daughter approached and asked if i could detect in the water because she had just lost her silver tiffany ring in a nearby freshwater lake. If you are in CT/Western MA and have a water unit, please check out my post under lost and found.

Thanks
Mr. C

yo C

Someone has to feed the bugs....and talk is you are true blue blood. Nice scoffs and I hear you big time on the bugs.....ticks galore out here already!

Back
Top Bottom