Awesome short hunt this morning.... .950!

TundraPlugger

Elite Member
I didn't have work today since it is my 5 year olds birthday and we've got a lot of plans but I did have the morning to myself.
First off I started by calling a realtor to see if I could detect a few of their properties but no go on them.....people were still living there apparently. So I hit my back-up spot, a lot that used to have an old house on it but was bought by the city after the house was condemned from the flood.
I started off at the curb strip which produced nothing. I moved to the little front yard and dug a 1915-D wheatie! Good start! I swung back over the whole and there was still something there......turned out to be a 1922 George V penny! Sweet!
I kept swinging the front yard getting a couple deep clad quarters and than I came across a shallow wheat penny type signal. I dug a fairly small plug and to my sheer amazement pops out a very old silver lighter case! And thing is amazing!.......other than where I smoked it with my Lesche [emoji26]

I finished the front yard and started doing the back. Sadly there was 3 crackhead dogs next door that would not quit barking and growling at me, which also got all the rest of the dogs in the neighborhood barking, so I left that area alone...... i didn't want to make any enemies in this neighborhood for the future when I do some door knocking.
The front yard did wonders though so I'm happy with that.
I also got a neat old dog tax tag from 1950.
0926bab0a97ff2c178ef999a33a29b51.jpg
be4e6575180328645e4248472c73455d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That lighter case is amazing! Nice chunk o silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWEET! Id be tempted to take a piece of wood and soft faced hammer and straighten that baby out. May need to heat it to take the stress out of the metal?

That lighter case is amazing! Nice chunk o silver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks jwp! I wish I had known what was down there so I would have dug a bigger plug! Oh well, I took it to a jeweler to see what they can do.

SWEET! Id be tempted to take a piece of wood and soft faced hammer and straighten that baby out. May need to heat it to take the stress out of the metal?
Thanks man! I took it to a jeweler to see if they could do something with it. I think if I tried I'd mess it up worse than I already did.

That's a bucket list silver find for sure...congrats on the sterling lighter case!

Thanks Captain! That's funny you should say that because earlier I was thinking the same thing too yet I've never made a bucket list. I'm sure it'll be the nicest and maybe only one I'll ever find. I dug a vesta case about a week ago but it wasn't made out of silver, just plated, and was in pretty rough shape.

Dobt beat yourself up over hitting it, it was a large target. Congrats!

Thanks cellr! I'm not too worried about it......at least I found I figure. That dent might come out with some help. It's a nice heavy piece too, surprising how much weight there is to it.

That's a really cool piece of silver, I like the design very much! It's a shame you struck it, but maybe the jeweller can help you out! :)

Nice little hunt, Tundra! The lighter is crazy awesome, but the Canadian cent and dog tag are pretty cool, too! Plus a century old Wheatie - heck, that one alone would make a descent hunt for me :grin:

I haven't found anything that's both big and worth keeping yet - but I'm worried that if I ever do, I'll end up dinging it somehow. Especially on private lawns or well kept public spaces, I'm always cutting as small of a plug as possible to leave no trace. Plus my plug size is generally cut on the assumption that I'm retrieving something roughly coin sized. It's just a matter of time before we all give something unusual a good ding. Hopefully a jeweler can help at a reasonable cost!

I'm quite close to Canada here in NW Ohio, so I'm looking forward to finding some older Canadian coins eventually - my oldest so far is only 1964. That 1922 George V is a pretty nice pull!

The dog tax tag is slick too! It took me a few times looking at it before I realized - I think it's odd shape is supposed to be the profile of a dog's head. The right hand side of the tag as shown in the picture is the nose/snout, and where the "50" is stamped is about where the eye would be?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Nice little hunt, Tundra! The lighter is crazy awesome, but the Canadian cent and dog tag are pretty cool, too! Plus a century old Wheatie - heck, that one alone would make a descent hunt for me :grin:

I haven't found anything that's both big and worth keeping yet - but I'm worried that if I ever do, I'll end up dinging it somehow. Especially on private lawns or well kept public spaces, I'm always cutting as small of a plug as possible to leave no trace. Plus my plug size is generally cut on the assumption that I'm retrieving something roughly coin sized. It's just a matter of time before we all give something unusual a good ding. Hopefully a jeweler can help at a reasonable cost!

I'm quite close to Canada here in NW Ohio, so I'm looking forward to finding some older Canadian coins eventually - my oldest so far is only 1964. That 1922 George V is a pretty nice pull!

The dog tax tag is slick too! It took me a few times looking at it before I realized - I think it's odd shape is supposed to be the profile of a dog's head. The right hand side of the tag as shown in the picture is the nose/snout, and where the "50" is stamped is about where the eye would be?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks Airmet! I was pretty jacked after getting the Canadian penny and the lighter case and dog tag were just bonuses I guess. I come to find out it's a semi-key date as well! I think it has the 3rd lowest montage for that series.
I'm the same as you when it comes to cutting plugs.....i always cut them figuring it's something fairly small. The lighter was open too while it was in the ground which made it an even larger target to try not to hit. Oh well, I guess, I'm happy with what I got.

Thanks Captain! That's funny you should say that because earlier I was thinking the same thing too yet I've never made a bucket list.

When we find something unique we always say that. Then the other person who didn't find it says" You cant be adding to your bucket list!":laughing:

Back
Top Bottom