Which of Your Best Sites Were Duds...

Late 1870's rural church that burned in the 1890's and was rebuilt and still standing. Annual picnic reunion is held there every summer. Nothing. Nada. Trash and a few .22 hulls. Also searched a work buddy's farm home that was built in 1900. Nothing but odds and ends of iron trash, a little clad, and a makeup compact from the 1950's. I tend to not get my hopes up now about sites with a lot of historical potential. They either had little money or they've been hunted to death.

Fort Mann.

Fort Mann, located on the Santa Fe Trail west of what is now Dodge City, Kansas, was a U.S. Army frontier fort. Early in 1847 Capt. William M. D. McKissack, the assistant quartermaster for the Army in the west, proposed for a government depot to be built halfway between Santa Fe and Fort Leavenworth. In a letter to a superior McKissack wrote, “In crossing the plains there is no means of securing Wagons that become unserviceable for want of repairs; generally the bands, tires, spokes, etc. become loose on account of the dryness of the atmosphere and having no means of repairs; in such cases, the Wagons are abandoned. . . [sic].” McKissack made arrangements for the outpost to be constructed and occupied by teamsters, but no Army troops.[1]

These is a sandstone marker that marks the spot put up in 1909 and I've had as many as 5 people detecting the spot at the same time and not as much as a single rusted nail has ever been found. I have no doubt they do not have the correct spot marked. It's on all the historical records LOL.

Just a side not: I do know the correct location, and it has been great!

Fort Mann.

These is a sandstone marker that marks the spot put up in 1909 and I've had as many as 5 people detecting the spot at the same time and not as much as a single rusted nail has ever been found. I have no doubt they do not have the correct spot marked. It's on all the historical records LOL.

Just a side not: I do know the correct location, and it has been great!

:lol: Great story. Makes me wonder also how many sites are just plain wrong historically.

Back in about 1890 my great great grandpa and his brother built a store/post office for a man named Cochran, the post office was called "Burt, I.T." after my gg grandpa & brother since they built it. They built it on what the old timers called "Burt Mountain." The post office was only there for a while, by 1900 it was gone.

Now, I know where this store sat, knowing where Cochran's land was, and the lay of the land, and the "mountain" that's a big old hill, and the old map showing trails at the time in use in the area.

There's only one place it could be... but I've been shown at least 3 incorrect sites people claim is Burt.

Three of my biggest disappointments were a 1700's colonial home, an 1800's saloon, and an 1800's abandoned house. No coins or artifacts at these sites but plenty of cans and nails.

Anyplace that is just a cellar hole.

I dont think I have ever found any old coins in the immediate vicinity around old cellar holes. There is always just so much ferrous stuff in the ground that its impossible... Every time I try it I just think to myself, it would be more time effective to just dig the dirt with a shovel and run it through a sifter.
Not to mention the fact that my minelabs are really bad in that type of situation, and I usually pull out my Tessoro.

I have found some good finds away, off in the woods, from a cellar hole and when Im hunting with somebody I usually say "you take around the cellar hole.... Im going over here".

This is a really great thread! Enjoyed reading all the replies! And here I thought I've had it rough hunting a few dud totters in my day, No Clad at all to speak of! Nothing but gum wrappers and pencils!:laughing::laughing:

Too many to count but I got permission to hunt a family enclave of 5 houses dating back to 1840. 6 days of hunting and found 3 memorials. An 1850 general store which yielded 7 modern pennies. An 1826 church (still in use) that had more buried beer cans and bottle caps than you can imagine. And no coins.

Park down the street has a very nice baseball/softball complex that's fenced off and padlocked. They have ticket booths at the entrance for tournaments that charge admission and there is always a crowd at the "no smoking beyond this point" sign. It's next to a bmx bicycle race track that produced over $30 in clad.
It took me a long time to work up the nerve to follow the lawn crew through the back gate. I was waiting for a scram or a "You can't smoke here" at any minute. The huge concession stand has a 40 foot cement apron around it that I'm sure kept a lot of treasure from the grass. I have hunted it twice for a couple of hours and found NOTHING. No pulltabs, no foil,not even a stinkin Lincoln. The parks not very old maybe 25 years and in a flood plain so I'm thinking there is a lot of fill dirt involved and it is the cleanest fill I've ever seen.I don't know if it's the Little Leaque kids or the softball players but someone is doing an excellent job cleaning up the trash.

Back
Top Bottom