The Silver Reed In The Clod

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
You hunt a site that has given 1800 dated coins before. It's lots of hard work finding one good signal, then that dirt clod post-dig pings a tone with the final sweep of the coil after the dig.

It's tempting to tear it apart like a Christmas package when you were a child, but ain't is special to linger and take time to reveal an edge, and guess what it is?

I hunted with a buddy today, was called over to check the signal, the dig gave the final clod giving tone with the pinpointer. Gradually took off an edge and saw the silver reed. A second small piece removed at the edge...there was the sight of a Seated's skirt.

We both guessed it's ID at every stage, first, it was a Barber, then "The edge looks thinner than a Barber", "No it's probably a Barber".

A special part of the fun is had, IMO, with the unwrapping :cool:

Yes! It takes nerves and balls of steel to avoid the temptation to immediately un-wrap. In-situ pix are so cool after all. ;)

On two occasions I have even seen this done with gold coins : A buddy had a reeded edge of a gold coin poking out from side of hole. Stopped, and we both admired for awhile. Another time in a clod....reeded edge of gold.

I whole heartedly agree........... gotta love those clods

I'm also quite found of the clods and balls that are holding a ring - makes you stop for a few seconds....

Back
Top Bottom