I Wonder How Often We Miss REALLY Good Stuff

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I saw icatchbigcats' post about finding that container of silver coins and wondered to myself, how often do we miss a mother load find because we figure it is just a big chunk of iron or aluminum?

BCD

They are there. We just didn't dig it.
attachment.php

all the time. i try not to think about it too much or i would lose my mind

Constantly! And not only that, but if you only hit a site one time there's no telling what targets you left there too! Even hunting a site many times, there are still good things left to find as none of us are perfect about overlapping swings and staying perfectly straight while gridding. At least I'm not :lol:

Kind of like playing the lottery. How many times would you have won if you'd a played? No one knows.

I still don't play the lottery.

Constantly! And not only that, but if you only hit a site one time there's no telling what targets you left there too! Even hunting a site many times, there are still good things left to find as none of us are perfect about overlapping swings and staying perfectly straight while gridding. At least I'm not :lol:

This for sure. I was hunting this school field I've hunting over many a time just because I like the solitude and ground type. Wasn't expecting to find a gold ring there but one turned up. Could be another there too...

Makes you wonder, right? I'm really bad about skipping low tones to cherry pick the good high-toned signals. I know I have passed up a killer gold target or two the last few years!

True if you don't dig everything you never know. It depends on the situation with me. If there is lots of big iron or nonferrous targets driving me nuts I don't dig, but if the site is relatively clean I do try to determine just what the target is. I have never hunted a beach, but off the top of my head I would guess you would dig those signals as they would not be a common occurrence.

Beaches can have plenty of iron and steel targets. Then throw in foil, bottle caps and other trash a PI user can grow frustrated with all the junk. I hunt in all metal and then switch to discriminate so that a lot of the iron and steel do not get disturbed

This is why I dig 90% of all repeatable signals.
Plus I dig all faint deep signals.
It's really hard for me to pass up just about anything.

Guaranteed all the time. Case in point. My brother and I have hunted a rev war battle site. He runs an E trac and me the CTX. One area in particular has yielded many good finds. We've hit that area at least 15x. Every time we go, we find goodies. KG's, half reales, musket parts and balls, buttons etc. We've hit it from every angle and direction. Dry and after a good rain etc. We've lost permission to hunt that site (donated to the Brandywine conservency) but I know beyond the shadow of a doubt, if we went there tomorrow, we'd still find things. We're firm believers that a good spot is NEVER hunted out. Stuff is just missed.

Guaranteed all the time. Case in point. My brother and I have hunted a rev war battle site. He runs an E trac and me the CTX. One area in particular has yielded many good finds. We've hit that area at least 15x. Every time we go, we find goodies. KG's, half reales, musket parts and balls, buttons etc. We've hit it from every angle and direction. Dry and after a good rain etc. We've lost permission to hunt that site (donated to the Brandywine conservency) but I know beyond the shadow of a doubt, if we went there tomorrow, we'd still find things. We're firm believers that a good spot is NEVER hunted out. Stuff is just missed.

I believe that to be true for any site. This thread specifically is us not digging a signal because we think it is big junk. First thing that I learned from my MD teacher was how to ID huge targets by holding my detector higher and seeing if I still get a signal. I generally skip those, but some of those could be a cash of coins or some other really good find.

BCD

Just wanted to add, lately it seems I've been missing the really good stuff on all my hunts!

Can't seem to get my coil over anything worthwhile for a long time now...just slowly accumulating clad, and I mean slowly....

As well as what your missing under ground, what are you walking past on the surface,
https://youtu.be/FuAgx2Dyj2w

Great video!!
I believe that to be the reason I sold my CTX.
I should make a similar video with my AT PRO - I bet I could hear that coin no matter the angle or sweep speed.
I cannot tell you how many coins I dig where there is a nail in the hole:yes:

Back
Top Bottom