• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Detecting old Western WA fort... post WW1 American pin

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Hi, happened to be in the greater Seattle area for a few days, brought the AT Pro with me, and with a few bottle collecting buddies who also metal detect, we headed out to a Seattle park, once a military fort which opened in February of 1900.

Eager to make some finds, we all started on the Parade Grounds, as this military fort had a lot of activity, esp in WW 2 when about 1 million men passed thru enroute to the war in the Pacific, also German and Italian POWs were held here, and there was plenty of WW1 activity too. Unfortunately for us, and kind of what we suspected, this place had been hammered by detectorists for 45 years, since the land was donated to the city of Seattle for a park. I wasn't used to have 10 minutes between signals, even trash signals.

Right off the bat I found a deep 1925-S wheatie, so I did get a bit of hope. I also found an Eagle button on the parade grounds, but then the rate of finds really slowed down! Knowing I would have to get off the commonly detected areas to even have a chance of finding any good coins or relics, I noticed an area where some English Ivy ground cover had been recently cleared. This is where I found this cool Military pin...

The oak leaf and acorns are from the coat of arms and refer to the capture of Clairs Chenes Woods in France during the Argonne offensive, on October 20, 1918. Motto: "CLAIRS CHENES N'OUBLIEZ JAMAIS" (The Cleared Oaks-Never Forget Them)

The pin rang up "80" on the Pro, I think it is bronze with a silver washed Oak Leaf. Not a ton of stuff for a 4 hour hunt! But, the pin is pretty cool with some great history behind it!

Attachments

• dig1.jpg
    dig1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 162
  • dig2.jpg
    dig2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 127
  • dig3.jpg
    dig3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I am one of those detectorists who went before. Although I have only been out there one time- with a friend of mine. I found this WW2 marketing token good for 1 pack of cigarettes, also with the AT Pro.

Congrats on your finds!
9c82eedcbacd15fe8dcb2cc32478d5d4.jpg

Oldest coin- 1946 wheatie.

Nice pin! I'm pretty sure I've seen some YouTube videos of people metal detecting there. Nice finds.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I am one of those detectorists who went before. Although I have only been out there one time- with a friend of mine. I found this WW2 marketing token good for 1 pack of cigarettes, also with the AT Pro.

Congrats on your finds!
9c82eedcbacd15fe8dcb2cc32478d5d4.jpg

Cool token!

Cool token!

Hey thanks man! Seriously, I found it right after I bought Okie's AT Pro from him last year (recorded live in his Oct 7th video). My only cool find from that place. I have yet to go back again. It is about an hour and 15min away for me, longer with traffic, so maybe one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom