Buttons in field beside my house

obxdetector

I believe these are just basic everyday wear buttons for farmers or other civilians but not sure as the age. Several are small flat buttons and two are dome shaped. They are brass and are wafer thin, causing me to believe they are pretty old. Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 316
Where is your house. I'll be right over. You are correct that they were common among civilians, but they are old none the less. Without seeing the backmarks I would say between 1830 and 1850. Just somewhat of a guess. But that type button fell out of favor around 1840 because new technology allowed them to make mother of pearl and other type buttons.

Thanks for the reply!

Haha! I have seen others detecting this field and they didn’t stay very long. I’m guessig they were basing their grid off of an old map because they focused on a tight area and that’s it. My finds were nowhere near where they searched. I did go over to where I saw them and I found nothing. I do plan on searching the entirety of the field, which should keep me busy for a while as it’s a pretty large one. Thanks for the input!

I believe these are just basic everyday wear buttons for farmers or other civilians but not sure as the age. Several are small flat buttons and two are dome shaped. They are brass and are wafer thin, causing me to believe they are pretty old. Can anyone confirm?

Where is your house. I'll be right over. You are correct that they were common among civilians, but they are old none the less. Without seeing the backmarks I would say between 1830 and 1850. Just somewhat of a guess. But that type button fell out of favor around 1840 because new technology allowed them to make mother of pearl and other type buttons.

We can't see the backs, can you confirm that they are in fact buttons and not rivets? Rivets like that are still in use to this day.

Pics won’t upload

Guys I’m trying to post pics of the backs of these buttons but they will not post for some reason. I assure you that each has a shank on the back, some are whole and some are broken but I’m fairly positive the small ones are not rivets

Grid the whole field if you can! You may have found a homesite not on the maps such as I did a few months ago. There were buttons and coins scattered over an area of about 1 acre. I have also found that many of the old maps show a home right next to the road when it was actually many yards away from the road. A tracking app such as tect o trac is helpful to keep track of where you have covered. Congrats on the buttons!!

Could be old. Can’t see the back. But I find buttons similar to that dating from the 18th - 19th Century here in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you use tect o trak? It looks useful but I’m wondering...how bad does it drain battery life? It states that it can decrease battery life even when it’s not opened up.

Back
Top Bottom