Weird civil war relic - Need help!

kdonrocks

I have found several of these small brass (so I believe due to the coloring and lack of corrosion) tubes. They are tapered at one end and have a small splice on the same end. I am almost certain it is some miscellaneous civil war relic, due to their proximity to other identifiable relics I have found. If anybody has even the slightest clue of what they might be, I would love to know! thanks

Attachments

• 20140811_210950.jpg
    20140811_210950.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,028
Not sure, but could it be a water sealed container for a cannon fuses? Or could it be the a water sealed fuse container for high explosive cannonball/shells. I have not found anything on fuses of this era. Others may know.:?::?:

seems a little small to be a powder flask but ill keep looking, thanks!
and i think a fuse or primer might be it! i looked up cannon fuses and i found something similar:

Attachments

• rad821A639916.JPG
    rad821A639916.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,141
Friction primer.

C6CAE630-9D2E-4B5A-BBFF-13377F1CE4F2_zpsfxqqd4qt.jpg

AB310A8B-C742-4382-8CCE-7D2AB74240C0_zpsyhym7fmq.jpg

1FCE4683-C059-422A-A7DF-23ED15CD1C8A_zpssdbw4yqr.jpg

The friction primer is an ignition device consisting of a small copper tube that contains powdered chemicals similar to those found on the striking end of a farmer's match. It also contains a small charge of very fine black powder. One end of a coarse wire extends down into the friction compound while the other end has a twisted exposed loop for attaching a Lanyard. When the Lanyard is pulled, the wire is "jerked" out of the friction compound which ignites the black powder. The burning black powder shoots a flame down into the Mountain Howitzer's chamber which instantaneously ignites the main charge.

Last edited:
If you have access to it, there was an article written in North South Trader by Peter Jorge about the primers. It was good info for dating those as not all of those go back to the civil war.

Friction primer.

C6CAE630-9D2E-4B5A-BBFF-13377F1CE4F2_zpsfxqqd4qt.jpg

AB310A8B-C742-4382-8CCE-7D2AB74240C0_zpsyhym7fmq.jpg

1FCE4683-C059-422A-A7DF-23ED15CD1C8A_zpssdbw4yqr.jpg

The friction primer is an ignition device consisting of a small copper tube that contains powdered chemicals similar to those found on the striking end of a farmer's match. It also contains a small charge of very fine black powder. One end of a coarse wire extends down into the friction compound while the other end has a twisted exposed loop for attaching a Lanyard. When the Lanyard is pulled, the wire is "jerked" out of the friction compound which ignites the black powder. The burning black powder shoots a flame down into the Mountain Howitzer's chamber which instantaneously ignites the main charge.

Thanks a lot man thats definitely it! There are some reenactments in my area, but the spot in which i found them are very unlikely to have had one.. so I'm hoping its the real thing! either way I'm happy so thanks again

Back
Top Bottom