"Uncleaning" severely cleaned silver coins

AlinMN

Elite Member
A while back I asked for some advice on how to unclean some silver dollars that were severely cleaned. They look very unnatural so I just want them to look not so cleaned so they are more acceptable as collectable coins again. Here is a photo of some of the cleaned coins I got in a bulk lot of silver dollars I bought.

cleaned.jpg

After considering the suggestions I got I decided to try using the boiled egg trick to tone them a little. I found out that it is the egg white that tones the coins and not the egg yolk after I tried using just the yolk. The egg white must be warm to work when it gets cold the coins stop toning. One problem I had was when the egg is real hot, just out of the boiling water it tends to steam up the glass container and the coin gets damp and gets spotty toning. To solve this I let it cool somewhat before covering the container and put the glass container on a hotplate to keep it warm. I put the eggwhite in a glass with two coins and put a cuetip between them so the coins would not touch the eggwite, then covered the top with plastic wrap held on by a rubberband. Here is a picture:

toning coins.jpg

The following are some pictures of some of the cleaned coins I "uncleaned."

uncleaned 1.jpg

uncleaned 2.jpg

uncleaned 3.jpg

Some of them didn't turn out so nice :hmmm: but it isn't hard to reclean them.:newidea: and try again. :waytogo:

WOW looks like that trick really works. They look good. Congrats!

I've heard that you can add tone to a silver coin by sticking it into a potato and baking it in the oven. Not sure how hot, how long or even if it works for sure.

Last edited:
If you like, my kids can unclean anything known to mankind. :) But it looks like you're on the right track, nice work.

Back
Top Bottom