My first Cob coin

Now you are allowed to hunt the East coast:lol: I took someone from the forum hunting a good while back. He was there when my friend found a cob. You start finding Escudo's delay your post a year or two:lol:

:woot: Congrats on the spectacular find, Tom! A nice piece of history, too... it makes you wonder just how it got there, and by whom it was transported, used, and lost. :hmmm:

Great find! Its amazing that a gold Goat like you is still hitting first's!!

Holy cracker barrels, Tom, that's one heck of a find! Congratulations!

Congrats Tom. That is a find of a lifetime. Nice write up as well. Happy Hunting

Wow Tom...congratulations to you sir...fantastic coin! Still on my bucket list...HH!

Fabulous find and research Tom...

Again, congrats on your first! Tricky buggers to find.

Huge congrats Tom! I'll bet you were pretty excited seeing that come out of the ground!

Huge congrats Tom...…..huge bucket lister for most of us.

Have you slept yet???

Beeeeuuuteeeeeful!

Great find Tom, and good research. Looks like you have some happy hunting grounds there in CA.

Very cool!

Very nice and enjoyed your write up!

Gentlemen : Thanx for helping me in relish the find. Ya can't put a price on touching history and bucket-listers . Kind of like a fisherman outsmarting the trophy size bass. Or accomplishing a double-back flip when skiing, ha !

Congrats on finding your first cob! She's a beauty! No rush on sending that thing back east when you're done showing off your "find" Tom.:lol:

Does this mean you'll stop raggin on us east coasters finding all these LC's? Super find Tom, congrats. I've yet to find one even though I hunt soil that was settled in the 1600's. We find reales but the cob still eludes us. Cobs are just so primitive looking. Love em.

You only found one?

.... They're so plentiful here on the East Coast I don't even bother to bend down to pick them up anymore. :lol:

Now you are allowed to hunt the East coast:lol: I took someone from the forum hunting a good while back. He was there when my friend found a cob. You start finding Escudo's delay your post a year or two:lol:

OOOooohhh, you guys had me "dead to rights". Yup, I got one of the targets which *should* have been an east coast find. Do I repent of my rantings ?? HECK NO ! :sissyfight: haha

Congratulations on an Outstanding and rare find Tom. Wow! But how are you going to send me 30%. That’s the charge here in California for a “first time” rare find. :grin:

Nope. Sorry. I don't owe any fellow CA hunters "extortion fees". Especially So. CA guys who are required to stay-south of the Santa Barbara line. Lest.... as they say ... "accidents *do* happen". :cool:

Must have been a huge surprise to you. Congrats!!!

The Spanish came up through Ga along the Chattahooche River back in the 1500's. But I suspect that they had little use for coins when exploring Indian land.

One local did find a Spanish sword several years ago when looking for arrow heads on a farm where a battle between the Spanish and Indians was fought.

I imagine Tom you won't be carrying that cob in your pocket.

maxx-katt, loved your post. Shows you have the historical significance "eyes open". Ie.: the odds/strategy/history/goals.

Kind of strange (yet understandable) how we md'rs tend to gauge our successes NOT in strict $$ value. If it were that way, then beach hunters (with their rings) would be the way-to-go.

But for "accomplishment-sake", we are kind of like fishermen or golfers : You can't "put a price" on a hole-in-one. Or the meat value resulting from a trophy size fish , can't be compared to relative $$ value fish in the grocery store .

:dingding: That's an AMAZING find Tom! :wow: It's too good to ask for so I am not. ;) What are your plans for that? Mount it in a nice thick Cuban/Figaro link silver chain and wear it?

Of course that is what he should do and pull out his old 1970's lime green plaid leisure suit. A great combo that would look good on Tom.

Yes. I will have it mounted in a bezel, in a 1970s style "Mr. T" gold chain. Then it will accompany my other attire : My neon-green Pin-stripe, double-knit polyester leisure suit. With pump platform shoes.

After all , I have to impress people at parties, right ? :laughing:

For a monumental find like this, you must swallow it and savor its sweet succulent goodness....! Let it make its way throughout your entire being while you absorb its potential energy!....Or at least keep it in your mouth between your cheek and gum for a few days like a little silver necco wafer?....

Tom, I enjoyed your write up regarding tracking down that coin through the fog of Time and trash...Hunting in an area that Used to be old dirt, and your knowledge of the terrain and travels @300yrs ago...it was a well thought out and targeted site to hunt... not relying on 'dumbluck' which you have also displayed ad nauseum....
Banner!:clapping::thumbsup::bowdown::beers:

For a monumental find like this, you must swallow it and savor its sweet succulent goodness....! Let it make its way throughout your entire being while you absorb its potential energy!....Or at least keep it in your mouth between your cheek and gum for a few days like a little silver necco wafer?....

Tom, I enjoyed your write up regarding tracking down that coin through the fog of Time and trash...Hunting in an area that Used to be old dirt, and your knowledge of the terrain and travels @300yrs ago...it was a well thought out and targeted site to hunt... not relying on 'dumbluck' which you have also displayed ad nauseum....
Banner!:clapping::thumbsup::bowdown::beers:

And if you follow Muds first suggestion, she'll be perfectly cleaned and shiny as new (after a quick rinse). Digestive juices are so much better than salt, foil and spit.

Nice find Tom!! Cobs are fairly common here and are often found round ol privvie sites. Some still have corn on em...silver ones are pretty rare though. Congrats!

Man that is awesome, Congrats! :wow: :cool:

Nice find Tom!! Cobs are fairly common here and are often found round ol privvie sites. Some still have corn on em...silver ones are pretty rare though. Congrats!

Nice! Congratulations on an awesome find.

And if you follow Muds first suggestion, she'll be perfectly cleaned and shiny as new (after a quick rinse). Digestive juices are so much better than salt, foil and spit.

...Tom, I enjoyed your write up regarding tracking down that coin through the fog of Time and trash...Hunting in an area that Used to be old dirt, and your knowledge of the terrain and travels @300yrs ago...it was a well thought out and targeted site to hunt...

Hey guys, thanx for the atteboys, and helping me relish in the find :)

Ill trade you some for all those gold coins you west coast guys find

Attachments

• 4F580630-6884-4BE2-95F5-2629F19574F1.jpg
    4F580630-6884-4BE2-95F5-2629F19574F1.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 403
Congrats on the cob Tom, a really great find...for Cali.

They're so plentiful here on the East Coast I don't even bother to bend down to pick them up anymore. :lol:

Glad it’s not just me, I’m tired of digging through them to get to my pull tabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it’s not just me, I’m tired of digging through them to get to my pull tabs....

Haha, thanx for helping me relish my bucket-lister.

Hey guys :

A bit of research has revealed that : Peru made "cob" style coins up till 1773. At which time their last mint changed over to "milled" style coins. And the discernible features on mine do indeed point to Peru mint (according to a numismatist who's looked at it now).

So ... theoretically, it could date to as late as 1773. And thus, theoretically, could be a period-loss in the area that it was found. Because, as said, there's some historical "comings and goings", in the 1770s, that was less than half-mile from this spot .

Can't say anything more than that, lest it start to give clues to the location. Later on: Some friends and I will post the full play- by-play of all the stuff that's coming out of this site.

A Three-cent piece came out of the site @ Sunday PM. And ... so far ... two LC's have come up . (Eat your heart out , you snobby east coast guys ! haha ) Many barbers, a smattering of seateds (dimes and half-dimes), a Mexican reale, etc....

This is definitely worthy of a mind blowing thread. So cool it came from California. Can't wait to see all that you guys pulled from that park. Congrats!

.... I’m tired of digging through them to get to my pull tabs...

You guys are sick. Sick sick sick :sissyfight:

..... Can't wait to see all that you guys pulled from that park. ....

Turns out the earthmoving/scraping portions of the project appear to be over. If so, then yes: I plan to make a post , with pix-of-finds from the other hunters involved. Names and location un-disclosed, to protect the innocent, haha.

Basically : It's a site that anyone, with some balls, who follows these instructions, could stumble on to :

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=263294

In this case, it was an old-town park scrape/demolition, to prepare for infrastructure renewal. They tore out large swaths of the turf. In some places to the *perfect* depth where it seemed like every coin was an oldie. In other places, only 2 or 3" deep, so we were still tortured with clad.

Will post an entire recap within the next week or two.

You guys are sick. Sick sick sick :sissyfight:

Turns out the earthmoving/scraping portions of the project appear to be over. If so, then yes: I plan to make a post , with pix-of-finds from the other hunters involved. Names and location un-disclosed, to protect the innocent, haha.

Basically : It's a site that anyone, with some balls, who follows these instructions, could stumble on to :

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=263294

In this case, it was an old-town park scrape/demolition, to prepare for infrastructure renewal. They tore out large swaths of the turf. In some places to the *perfect* depth where it seemed like every coin was an oldie. In other places, only 2 or 3" deep, so we were still tortured with clad.

Will post an entire recap within the next week or two.

That sounds like a dream spot to hunt while it's being renovated. My only Reale which was a copper fractional one came from a similar type of project down here. I dream of what can be found in some of our old parks if the layer of clad was stripped off. Hope you can find a few more goodies before they are done.

Nice find Tom!! My oldest find was down your way last year, my first Indian Head Cent, 1864, made my day for sure! :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2132.JPG
    IMG_2132.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 216
Back
Top Bottom