who is ground balancing with the nox?

A very good question.

The short answer is maybe or maybe not. Seems it may depend on your ground minerals.
Equinox series doesn’t track in my soil like Xp Deus all coils (LF & HF) -need tomspecify here Deus versions 2.0 and 3.xx and versions 4.xx and 5.xx with ground sensitivity levels dialed to 10, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer Series, Nokta Relic, etc.

Equinox is slow as molasses.

I posted this on another forum for testing done on Nov 3 2018.

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More Equinox data.
> On another forum the detector’s ground tracking ci
> rcuit was mentioned.
> I had made some comments about this early on when
> my Equinox arrived.
> So I will share some data here.
> This particular data here is using the small 6” co
> il.
> I will do 11”stocker to make sure there are no lar
> ge differences.
> Anyway Equinox tracking circuit SLOW compared to s
> ome other detectors.
>
> For my testing over clean ground (area) I obtained
> a pumping ground balance using Nox using park 2 an
> d multi freq. Speed 6 iron bias 0. Even did a no
> ise cancel.
> I intentionally dialed GB 10 points high. Ground
> read 38 so dialed to 48 manually, Turned tracking
> on and started the stop watch.
> Sweeps were speed wise a rate a medium speed with
> coil close to ground just like if Inwere detecting
> .
> It took Equinox a full 6 minutes and 30 seconds to
> finally track to a ground reading of 38.
>
> I got curious and went to same settings above exce
> pt 15 kHz single freq ops. Again dialed GB to 48
> turned on tracking and started the stop watch,
> Seemed Equinox beat the tracking time here vs usin
> g Multi by approximately 2 minutes around 4 minute
> s and 30 seconds.
>
> So what about Deus and the new X35 9” coil?
> I did the same experiment above as I did with Equi
> nox and small coil.
> Deus would track to actual ground phase in under 4
> seconds.
> I even dialed Deus 20 points over actual ground se
> tting and detector was tracked to actual ground in
> under 6 seconds.
>
> What about Nokta Anfibio while wearing 7”concentri
> c coil?
> Maybe Dilek won’t fire me. Lol
> It acts very Deus like.
> Doing the same experiment Anfbio wastes no time tr
> acking to actual ground phase.
> With detector dialed 10 points high it would track
> in while sweeping in less than 4 seconds.
> I disn’t try dialing it 20 points high as I was ve
> ry satisfied.
>
> I am wondering why is Equinox so slow.
>
> As a side note , I even dialed Equinox 10 points o
> ver and tried pumping coil up and down to see if
> it would speed tracking up some.
> I didn’t see anything based on my tests that indic
> ates it helps at all.
> I also dialed Equinox just 2 points high and timed
> it. After one full minute of constant sweeping th
> e detector still hadn’t tracked to actual ground r
> eading achieved when sweeping coil.
>
> Thought I would share.

My advice is to always GB (pumping) even if you plan to use tracking GB, especially if you are using prospecting modes. And keep abreast of your GB while detecting and do a pumping GB every now and then.

I have a question for u, my at pro in my usual areas i hunt..always gbs at 90 to 94...my 600 ground balances at between 04 and 07..is this just the difference in the way minelabs numbers for gb are so different?

I have a question for u, my at pro in my usual areas i hunt..always gbs at 90 to 94...my 600 ground balances at between 04 and 07..is t

The At Pro, Deus, Anfibio, and others, inert ground setting is 90 phase.
Equinox is backwards.
Zero is inert ground setting.
So what you see is proper ops with your Detectors over the same ground.

Running in Multi frequency, I have never noticed any marginal change at all after doing a GB.

Turn on and go here. I tried to experiment with it for for the first few months. I can imagine that single frequency would be wise to GB. Otherwise, my experience has been as suggested by ML when using Multi.

But, "Whatever blows your dress up" as they say. Tinker away ;-)

I'm not GB'ing my NOX 800!...and I've not GB'ed my F70 or my AtPro either! Not because I dont think it would be a good thing to do.....just because I dont know how! :laughing: Hopefully they all do it automatically for me? But I dont know and I dont care..All these rigs seem to work just fine...!

Damndest thing right? Running these rigs for all these years and Not once GB'ing? Theyve pulled me a freaking fortune 'Ungroundbalanced!'

I like simply 'turning on and going'...I'm a subsistence hunter, not an archaeologist working on a grant...

The NOX Is really slow on the uptake! "Turn on and Go'? Digger please! ..A guy has to turn it on, then wait to hear for the 'beedlebeboop!' Then a guy has to engage the wireless headphone button to sync, another 5 sec...'doodlededoop' so even thats a major time wasting pain!...easily 20 seconds!...I aint got no TIME left to GB the damn thing!:laughing:

I usually ground balance, but sometimes if I'm in polluted ground and have a hard time finding a clean spot, I'll just run it on zero. This is mostly in parks looking for clad and jewelry. If you run in all metal and hear lots of iron and see -7, -6,-5,-4 VDI's showing up all the time, you probably need to ground balance...you'll hear and see the difference, it'll run much quieter.

... f you run in all metal and hear lots of iron and see -7, -6,-5,-4 VDI's showing up all the time, you probably need to ground balance...you'll hear and see the difference, it'll run much quieter.

So, I've never experienced that, (I always GB).
But that's good to know. I'll put that info into one of my failing memory banks .. .. If all of a sudden I do see that happen, at least I'll know to check the GB again first, and then proceed.

So, I've never experienced that, (I always GB).
But that's good to know. I'll put that info into one of my failing memory banks .. .. If all of a sudden I do see that happen, at least I'll know to check the GB again first, and then proceed.

Here's a good read and where I got the info. But I've actually experienced this.
Scroll down to the 4th post by Steve Herschbach: https://www.detectorprospector.com/...nd-balance/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-63454

Go down to about the 5th paragraph from the bottom to get to the meat of the subject.

I don't ground balance. Not that detectors ground balance here as the ones i tried don't and i have several detectors. And i also quit auto tracking and started picking up smaller gold. But you need to try these things in "your" hunting conditions. The good thing is when you compare notes with your competition and they read what works on a forum, you got the advantage by actually trying different stuff and know what works where you are hunting.:cool:

NCtoad -- thanks for the great read.
I got sidelined with the Halcro stuff. I don't remember them, but then again, that holds true for a lot of esoteric audiophile equipment, no matter what the advertising said, or what the products newest capabilities were.
I've always thought that as a hobby, the metal detector sector has moved quite slowly over time. But after trying to digest all that I just read, (and just about GB), I just could be very wrong about that.

Sidenote: maybe my audio system will sound better if I move my power amps and pre-amp over less mineralized ground. Ha !

This guys says if you have ground tracking on and swing over a target multiple times you can watch the GB change. He goes on to say why he does not use the ground tracking feature. He explains about the ground balance stuff. https://youtu.be/cF-1Cz_sdZU

This guys says if you have ground tracking on and swing over a target multiple times you can watch the GB change. He goes on to say why he does not use the ground tracking feature. He explains about the ground balance stuff. https://youtu.be/cF-1Cz_sdZU

"if you have ground tracking on and swing over a target multiple times you can watch the GB change"

Auto ground tracking is the first thing I stopped after getting my first real machine in 2010, the Whites V3i. It just makes sense, no matter the manufacturer.

Only leads to uncertainty.

Am I reading all of this correctly? Manually setting a definitive GB and go? I’ve always learned and believed that Auto Tracking on anything takes care of things along the way,ESPECIALLY IF YOUR GROUND CHANGES DRASTICALLY IN THE SAME SITE. What am I missing? I know that setting the GB can get “the edge” but it could also hurt you if the ground is different 20 feet away,no? Yes? Manually setting the GB and then switch to Auto Tracking? I’m reading this in preparation for a potential EQ in the spring but some of this doesn’t quite add up...these machines don’t run on the same physics or what??

I do, every time.
I just have the mind frame that ground balancing won't ever hurt you but it always has the possibility to help.
I got in the habit of doing this with a few other detectors and always took 5 seconds out of my busy life to do it even in great soil.
In great soil it's effects might be minimal but why give up even the tiniest edge?
In my bad mineralized dirt it might only have a slight impact but even that can be the difference between success and failure on the deepest, oldest targets.

Not ground balancing for me would be like proposing to your best girl and NOT bringing a ring...

Like walking by Cinnabon in the mall and NOT buying a yummy pastry...

Like entering Romulan territory and NOT raising shields.

It just don't happen.

I agree. If you want to get the edge he is talking about you need to ground balance and noise cancel when changing modes. Remember the 800 is like four different detectors. Keep in mind Bruce Candy is well known for his audio design capabilities.

The Equinox as designed is very good at separating the targets from the ground if you give it a chance. By not ground balancing and noise canceling you are not letting the detector to operate at the top of its game. And often reducing the sensitivity a couple of notches to make it quieter will find deeper targets. If you are running a noisy 800 then you will not hear those deep targets from the higher sensitivity settings. Of course all of this will vary depending on your hunt location ground conditions.

I always noise cancel and ground balance when I turn my machines on. I also ground balance from time to time while hunting. My soil here changes from one site to another and even on the same site sometimes. Can't hurt ??

This a good thread C5, I was not gb' ing because the manual said it was not really needed. I am new to NOX and thought great one less thing to mess around with. But it looks like we should be using it. Thanks for posting.

I have tested this a lot in my coin garden, and as strange as it might sound, 0 (zero) GB actually gives me more consistent, a bit deeper tones and ID. To each their own, but I am staying with ML's recommendation.

Thanks for the insight

A very good question.

The short answer is maybe or maybe not. Seems it may depend on your ground minerals.
Equinox series doesn’t track in my soil like Xp Deus all coils (LF & HF) -need tomspecify here Deus versions 2.0 and 3.xx and versions 4.xx and 5.xx with ground sensitivity levels dialed to 10, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer Series, Nokta Relic, etc.

Equinox is slow as molasses.

I posted this on another forum for testing done on Nov 3 2018.

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> More Equinox data.
> On another forum the detector’s ground tracking ci
> rcuit was mentioned.
> I had made some comments about this early on when
> my Equinox arrived.
> So I will share some data here.
> This particular data here is using the small 6” co
> il.
> I will do 11”stocker to make sure there are no lar
> ge differences.
> Anyway Equinox tracking circuit SLOW compared to s
> ome other detectors.
>
> For my testing over clean ground (area) I obtained
> a pumping ground balance using Nox using park 2 an
> d multi freq. Speed 6 iron bias 0. Even did a no
> ise cancel.
> I intentionally dialed GB 10 points high. Ground
> read 38 so dialed to 48 manually, Turned tracking
> on and started the stop watch.
> Sweeps were speed wise a rate a medium speed with
> coil close to ground just like if Inwere detecting
> .
> It took Equinox a full 6 minutes and 30 seconds to
> finally track to a ground reading of 38.
>
> I got curious and went to same settings above exce
> pt 15 kHz single freq ops. Again dialed GB to 48
> turned on tracking and started the stop watch,
> Seemed Equinox beat the tracking time here vs usin
> g Multi by approximately 2 minutes around 4 minute
> s and 30 seconds.
>
> So what about Deus and the new X35 9” coil?
> I did the same experiment above as I did with Equi
> nox and small coil.
> Deus would track to actual ground phase in under 4
> seconds.
> I even dialed Deus 20 points over actual ground se
> tting and detector was tracked to actual ground in
> under 6 seconds.
>
> What about Nokta Anfibio while wearing 7”concentri
> c coil?
> Maybe Dilek won’t fire me. Lol
> It acts very Deus like.
> Doing the same experiment Anfbio wastes no time tr
> acking to actual ground phase.
> With detector dialed 10 points high it would track
> in while sweeping in less than 4 seconds.
> I disn’t try dialing it 20 points high as I was ve
> ry satisfied.
>
> I am wondering why is Equinox so slow.
>
> As a side note , I even dialed Equinox 10 points o
> ver and tried pumping coil up and down to see if
> it would speed tracking up some.
> I didn’t see anything based on my tests that indic
> ates it helps at all.
> I also dialed Equinox just 2 points high and timed
> it. After one full minute of constant sweeping th
> e detector still hadn’t tracked to actual ground r
> eading achieved when sweeping coil.
>
> Thought I would share.

My advice is to always GB (pumping) even if you plan to use tracking GB, especially if you are using prospecting modes. And keep abreast of your GB while detecting and do a pumping GB every now and then.

the 800 is a hot machine and it is also designed by a team that are experts in audio processing.

You must do everything properly to get the best out of this machine. This means ground balancing and noise canceling properly every time you change locations. In addition don't set your sensitivity too high. You don't always need to and this will help you from picking up a lot of what I can micro junk.

Yes you can just do a factory reset, pick a mode and set it on auto ground balance and you will find some stuff. But you will find more stuff if you set the machine up correctly for the type of hunting you are doing.

I always ground balance, noise cancel, set my recovery speed according to what I am hunting and where I am hunting and same goes for Iron Balance.

Back
Top Bottom