Accidental Dump find while detecting!

Bonesquat

Elite Member
Went out to a random field that I saw on a whim and did some hunting. Found a 1954 half buck uncle sam token, and some other relics, ball jar lids with milk glass let me know old stuff was around. There's not much evidence of a home that used to be there, but when digging around, I found planks of wood and some brick so I knew something was around.

Towards end of the hunt on the way to my car, I got a few nice high tones, 11-46 or so, dug and heard that familiar CRUNCH, dug up a PONDS cold cream jar that I broke. :(
The lid was with it... so I got another same ton, this time more carefully I retrieved another PONDS with the lid still sealed. I can hear water or something in this one, but it's tight and won't come out. I ended up opening this hole up and started pulling out a lot of EARLY 20th century stuff including a cup with 1906 on it or something. I still need to clean these all, can update later, but here's what I found in about 45 minutes, 15 bottles. All over 100 years old. I need to go back with a real shovel and see what else might be there. I hit a solid slab...which I guess is a rock? It's kind of flat, either way, I hope there's more. Oh and another one is this cool bottle with a little circle handle and a pour spout, looks about right for a syrup bottle.

Attachments

• mccorkmik.jpg
    mccorkmik.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,163
  • ponds.jpg
    ponds.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,106
  • 15 bottles.jpg
    15 bottles.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,105
Nice bottles - I see McCormick & Co., Baltimore. Looks like vanilla extract bottles.

WW1 to 1920s era, especially if the seams go all the way up to the top. That was the beginning of the "milk glass" era. They look ABM (Automatic Bottle Machine) made. If you see any milks/beers/sodas/Cokes grab 'em. Good era for those.

detecting dumps

man that's great . this is what I got may detector for to try to find hidden dump that may not be seen on the serf us . I come up with a lot of scrap metal but have not really gone in big woods around here yet .

man that's great . this is what I got may detector for to try to find hidden dump that may not be seen on the serf us . I come up with a lot of scrap metal but have not really gone in big woods around here yet .

Sunrunner, this Spring when the snow's gone and the leaves and vegitation are all mashed down, just walk the woods looking for "anything that doesn't belong", especially where it looks like there were dwellings once and along creeks and you'll surely find dumps. I find many that way without a detector just armed with a probe and small shovel.

Back
Top Bottom