stills, brothels and trafficking

IMShooter

Elite Member
My friend bought a house in Florence, wi last year that sits on a bluff overlooking a 150acre or so pond near the Brule River. He wants to hunt for all of the stills that supposedly were on his property and the surrounding area.
In the late 1800s, Florence was a pretty rough place. There were lumber camps all over the place and there were also quite a few saloon/brothels.
Girls from all walks of life, from all over the country, were lured, kidnapped or voluntarily brought to the lumber camps and brothels.

There is one in particular that he and I are going to work. An operation run by a brother and sister. Their place was like a fort. Stockade fence, barbed wire, dogs to run down the girls who tried to escape and guards to keep the girls from leaving.
They were pretty ruthless and a posse was formed (LE wouldn't go in alone) to shut them down.

Here's an article I found describing these places. http://genealogytrails.com/wis/florence/1887_up_brothels.htm

Holy !!!!! They were ruthless! When you start scouting/detecting, be sure to look for old trash dumps...I bet that place will be loaded with old bottles. Good luck.

Sounds like that was a crazy place. Be aware that there may be quite a few unmarked graves randomly scattered around.

Matt- I'm all about that! That's our first priority. Find the area where this one was at and just explore. There were so many hunting/lumber camps and Native American settlements in that area from the mid/late 1800's to toc.

ohiochris- definitely will be watching out for graves. There's bound to be gravesites in that area.
Too much violence to not be.

Good loed! That was absolutely horrific. I knew it was rough back then, but this is something else.:wow::shock:

yeah..he was pretty controlling to say the least. He was a plain old bad man. His father was a preacher and Mudge studied theology for awhile, then decided he'd rather have money.
He got into train robbery and he also ran a traveling preacher con. His gang roamed between 3 states. They kidnapped a guy's kid and killed him.

I believe that his compound was just west of my friend's land on the western edge of Mud Lake.
In the map pic, my friend's pond/land is the small water body to the east and Mud lake is labeled.
The barren area on the West side of Mud Lake is where the compound was.

https://goo.gl/maps/Bw95W

Here's a piece I found:

"I'm writing about Mud Lake, a little lake just north of town. Mud Lake has lots of history. For instance, there used to be a huge saloon run by Old Man Mudge and his daughter Mina Mudge on the lake. Old Man Mudge was a preacher in Michigan and Ohio. He recruited girls to live and work in his saloon. These girls were kept on the second floor of the three-story building.

The first story was made up of a bar and dance hall. There also was a third floor which was a dungeon and had two trap doors on the north and south sides of the saloon. The cellar was filled with dark cells and secret passages that lead to the almost impassible swamp.

In 1910 the Prohibition movement raided "speak easys" in Spread Eagle. They took by force almost all the slot machines and dumped them into Mud Lake. Also in 1910, the vigilantes burnt out the Mudge Saloon and chased Mina, Mudge, and others into the nearby swamp. They were never seen again.

About a week ago I went and talked to Gordy Brolin about his life growing up near the lake. Gordy said he and his father fished the lake, but never ate the fish because "there were too many of Mudge's prisoners buried in the lake." When the saloon was burned down, he and his friend dug through the ashes and took the money from the slot and candy machines.

Now the little lake just north of Florence is peaceful and calm, hoping never again to be named "The Lake of the White Woman Slaver." "

Thanks for the post. Amazing read. Sadly, that !!!! is still happening today.

After reading some of the tales, I'm not sure that I'd want anything belonging to Old Man Mudge. :no2:

Tomorrow is the day..

I'm going to my friend's place tomorrow and we're going to start our explorations.
He said there's a wide path/narrow road (he said small wagon wide) that's overgrown that runs from the washout next to his house (this leads down to the swampy pond) to Mud Lake.
It's nice that it's his property.

Found a ground floor plan of the saloon online.
I love that the posse was called The Regulators. I didn't know that Young Guns was a movie back then.

Will take crazy amount of pics.

Attachments

• imag000.gif
    imag000.gif
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,280
  • i3mag001.jpg
    i3mag001.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,278
  • imag001.jpg
    imag001.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,307
The Iron Hunter by Chase Osborn is a good read.
Good luck on your hunt..

Sorry it took a bit to get pics up...spent only a few hours at his house. We just explored a bit.

The first couple pics were taken from his 2nd level deck. That's the pond/small lake in front of his house.
The right side of the pic is where the backside of the hill behind the bldg led. We didn't venture down there. Not enough time.

He found out that the bldg was actually on his property. West of his house (on the small pond on the map above) against the treeline. It's the rectangular brown shape in the photos.

There's actually a wide gravel lane/road that goes from the main road to the treeline. Right next to where the bldg was.

The road continues past the bldg area another 50yds or so into the woods. The ground starts sloping up to a small crest and then a pretty steep hill to the edge of the lake.
The "swampy" area isn't reall that swampy. It's more like flooded grass and mud.

The black piece of tree bark had been stuck into the ground right there.
No other burned out trunks, trees or anything right there. Looks like someone took half of the bark off of a tree and jammed it into the ground. No roots etc...

The earth around that small cluster of trees and the bark piece was very soft and I ended up shoulder deep under the trees in very easily.

The bark piece was just on the backside of the small hill behind where the bldg was.
It leads down to the water to a small point. Kind of a lagoon to the right and the left looks like a flooded backwater that has very thick tree stands in there.

There was a huge log that someone had put there to cross. 20-30' long and 1-2' diameter.
The bark was worn off on the top of it where you'd walk. There are no trees in that area that are that large and there was no stump. It was deliberately put there.

We didn't walk down the washout at all. Just explored around the edge of it.
In the couple of pics of it, you can see on the left where rocks had been arranged in a small semi-circle.
It's only 20' down the slope on the left hand side. There was a small pit in front of it with early tires/wheels. Wooden spoked wheels, narrow tires.

The brick that you see was 30 yards into the woods SE from the bldg. So between the bldg and the washout. There were 2 areas where the bricks/blocks had been arranged in a 10' across circle. Some of the block was curved, other pieces straight. No discerning marks other than Patented.
We're going to bring the detector out and detect the center of the rings and bring some shovels!!

The area just behind these rings had quite a few rows of barbed wire fencing that went from the edge of the washout, behind the block rings and then ran parallel to the back of the bldg area. Most of it down and half buried.
The woodline where you see the ground change from browned out to grassy with a large hump has a worn footpath with 2 rows of barbed wire fencing that runs parallel to the where the bldg was.

The metal ring is an apron from a pot belly stove from a company out east that was pretty popular. (I forget the name).
I caught a glimpse of it in the dirt between the barbed wire and the block area and had to dig to pull it up. There are more pieces buried there but I ran out of time.
Actually, it was buried under a row of barbed wire.

The pic with the small tree in the center was supposed to show one of the fence rows to the left of it. You can make out the little earth bank.

The exciting part about the small rise and then slope behind that leads down to the lagoon/swamp/flooded area was talked about in a few accounts that Jim, my friend, had read. Said there's a small hill behind the bldg that runs down to the water.

The burned out hunk of bark was so out of place. Going to MD the road/driveway from the edge of the woods to the water the next time I'm out there.

You can see the lane/road coming in and breaking off to the house on the left and to the right. The rectangular area is in the middle of the map.

https://goo.gl/maps/6Wvth

k..the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20150419_152434.jpg
    IMG_20150419_152434.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 1,111
  • IMG_20150419_152130.jpg
    IMG_20150419_152130.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 1,167
  • IMG_20150419_151419.jpg
    IMG_20150419_151419.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,114
  • IMG_20150419_150027.jpg
    IMG_20150419_150027.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,114
  • IMG_20150419_150021.jpg
    IMG_20150419_150021.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_20150419_154643.jpg
    IMG_20150419_154643.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,117
  • IMG_20150419_154141.jpg
    IMG_20150419_154141.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 1,145
  • IMG_20150419_154031.jpg
    IMG_20150419_154031.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,109
  • IMG_20150419_152451.jpg
    IMG_20150419_152451.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,122
  • IMG_20150419_152418.jpg
    IMG_20150419_152418.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 1,124
  • IMG_20150419_155512.jpg
    IMG_20150419_155512.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IMG_20150419_160107.jpg
    IMG_20150419_160107.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • IMG_20150425_115520.jpg
    IMG_20150425_115520.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,094
  • IMG_20150425_115524.jpg
    IMG_20150425_115524.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1,118
My only question would be the floor plan of the brothel indicates it's in block 7 of lot 13, indicating to me it would be in town. I would also think Florence would be larger today than it was in the 1920's. See if you can find a city survey map to find out where that was.

Good luck.

Very interesting! I hope you find some cool old stuff. My Dad's family is just down the road from Florence, and I never heard of the whole gangster thing. My grandfather and great-grandfather were both involved in logging, as well as making and selling moonshine to the loggers way back in the woods. As he said, "They had to drink something." My grandmother's family did the same. They had to make a buck however they could during the Depression. I actually have one of those old stills, for display purposes only, of course.:grin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom