• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Looks like another site got spammed

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Might want to keep an eye out here if they're specifically targeting MDing forums.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-08-18 at 10.32.04 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-08-18 at 10.32.04 AM.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 297
Surprised they haven't deleted the spam yet, but I don't know nuttin' about running a web site, Miss Scarlett. Maybe it's not as easy as I think.

Might want to keep an eye out here if they're specifically targeting MDing forums.

Surprised they haven't deleted the spam yet, but I don't know nuttin' about running a web site, Miss Scarlett. Maybe it's not as easy as I think.

For longer than the past 12 months, we've been doing new member registrations manually. We check the new member information manually against on-line spammer databases and other means, before authorizing the new member. Even then, we'll watch their first few posts. You'll be amazed at how many incipient spammers get caught, including a repeat spammer, who will not be named, during registration. It is a lot of work for the admins, but it is worth it. :yes:

My hats off to the Admin's and Mod's. As someone who works in IT I know what you guy's are up against and you do an amazing job. If I could ever get my hands around the neck of those jokers Grrr.

For longer than the past 12 months, we've been doing new member registrations manually. We check the new member information manually against on-line spammer databases and other means, before authorizing the new member. Even then, we'll watch their first few posts. You'll be amazed at how many incipient spammers get caught, including a repeat spammer, who will not be named, during registration. It is a lot of work for the admins, but it is worth it. :yes:

And it's appreciated! Spammers are just below worm slime.

Spammers are right up there with telemarketers who make robo-calls !

I don't have a problem with legitimate advertising done in the right way.

But spammers and multiple repeat robo telemarketing calls make me less want to buy their product, not more.

If a spammer or telemarketer makes one sale for every 1000 calls/spams that means 999 people get aggravated and annoyed so they can get that one sale :shock:

They are trying...this was a pretty big attack.
Most were in the Minelab Explorer forum.

chinese mass spamming
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: 1 hour ago

Yes folks, I have seen the reports and I'm sure the other mods have as well. I spent half an hour this morning deleting messages before I looked at the top and saw there were still 1400+ of them to go! It would literally be an entire day to do this one by one. I don't have the power to wholesale delete posts from someone, so it's going to take a mod with more power than I to get rid of them.

Just wanted to put this out so you know it's not being ignored.

They are trying...this was a pretty big attack.
Most were in the Minelab Explorer forum.

chinese mass spamming
Posted by: Jason in Enid
Date: 1 hour ago

Yes folks, I have seen the reports and I'm sure the other mods have as well. I spent half an hour this morning deleting messages before I looked at the top and saw there were still 1400+ of them to go! It would literally be an entire day to do this one by one. I don't have the power to wholesale delete posts from someone, so it's going to take a mod with more power than I to get rid of them.

Just wanted to put this out so you know it's not being ignored.

Jason posted that in the 3030 sub forum I think. There are still numerous spam posts in the Explorer sub forum!

So glad we have the Owners/Admins we do!! :dingding::friends:

Jason posted that in the 3030 sub forum I think. There are still numerous spam posts in the Explorer sub forum!

So glad we have the Owners/Admins we do!! :dingding::friends:

It seems so stupid to spam a primarily English speaking forum with 1000's of Chinese language spam messages.

I just spent a half hour deleting 99 of them from the Xterra sub-forum. The various moderators are busy trying to clean up the mess.

The mods go a great job here, i used to work as a moderator for a news site and know what a headache/heartache it can be... Keep it up guys!

They got hit again, a few in today's finds by the same guy, 145 in the beep and dig forum under a different name...could be a lot more in the other forums.

Looks like they still have a big problem.

Just saw it, tons of it. Bummer, hope they get it resolved.

Same spammer has hit many other types of forum sites world wide, over the past month or so. I saw 4,580,000 entries for a two year period.
Spammer from China as far as I can make out, adds links to fake websites as well.

I manually approve all registrants to post and reply at the Compass Forum. They now no longer have automatic posting privildges after registering.
I ban and delete many new registrants every week. Would say about 3/4 of them have email addresses originating in China. Still cleaning house since taking over the forum.
Spam posts got out of hand at one point...................

I just spent a half hour deleting 99 of them from the Xterra sub-forum. The various moderators are busy trying to clean up the mess.

So Longhair, how is that site set up? Individual moderators are responsible for each sub forum?? There must be an Admin that should be able to take of all that SPAM at once!!

I don't mean to keep bringing this up, but there are 21 pages of "Recent Messages" with this Spam on them over there!!?!

Again, so thankful we have the Owner/Admin?Mod team we do here at FMDF!! :gottaluv::fmdfwelcome::wine2:

Last edited:
Yay - the Explorer page is cleared - there were 18 pages of spam when I looked this morning.

Back
Top Bottom