Super Secret Virgin Site Update - First Silver

Day 7 Update:

I finally finished gridding a portion of the site. I started on it yesterday and finished it this afternoon.

Today's finds: 2 more Kennedy clad halves, 7 clad quarters the oldest 1965, 6 clad dimes, 11 pennies, and one 1949 wheatie. I also pulled out a rowell from a spur, a heart shaped tag with "Joe B" engraved on it, 2 tack buckles and one fancy (but not silver) end tab from a western belt.

No pics today, I forgot and tossed the clad in the clad jar.

Totals:

Silver/Old Coin Totals: 1935 Buffalo Nickel, 1957 Washington Quarter, 1944 War Nickel, two 1949 Wheat pennies

Clad Talley: 208 coins: 4 clad halves, 58 clad quarters, 37 nickels, 40 clad dimes, and 69 pennies.

Other Stuff: Partial Costume jewelry piece, key, 3 saddle conchos, 1 costume earring, spur rowell, heart shaped tag, 2 tack buckles, fancy belt end tab

Day 8:

No silver, no wheats even, just some clad. It's getting harder to find anything, I must have most of the easy stuff cleaned up...

8 quarters, 15 dimes, 8 nickels, 15 pennies

Day 9: Short day, nothing great today either.

3 quarters, 2 dimes, 2 nickels.

Totals:

Clad Talley: 261 coins: 4 clad halves, 69 clad quarters, 47 nickels, 57 clad dimes, and 84 pennies.

Silver/Old Coin Totals: 1935 Buffalo Nickel, 1957 Washington Quarter, 1944 War Nickel, two 1949 Wheat pennies

Other Stuff: Partial Costume jewelry piece, key, 3 saddle conchos, 1 costume earring, spur rowell, heart shaped tag, 2 tack buckles, fancy belt end tab

Crank 'er up (anything for less disc and more depth)and dig all them iffy signals. Work slower/more methodical.

There's more out there :yes:

Crank 'er up (anything for less disc and more depth)and dig all them iffy signals. Work slower/more methodical.

There's more out there :yes:

I'm going back Wednesday and that's the plan since I've got coins from the 30s on so far which is real encouraging! I'm going to have to make several little areas to grid I think, and take it in little bites. It's pretty overwhelming just looking at the whole site.

I'm going back Wednesday and that's the plan since I've got coins from the 30s on so far which is real encouraging! I'm going to have to make several little areas to grid I think, and take it in little bites. It's pretty overwhelming just looking at the whole site.

Stop at the home improvement store and pick-up a bundle of surveyor flags (thin wire with orange plastic flags on 'em), they're cheap. Lay out some grids, pull the flags up as you go. If you can leave the ones you haven't hunted yet, even better, you'll know where you left-off on your next hunt there.

Stop at the home improvement store and pick-up a bundle of surveyor flags (thin wire with orange plastic flags on 'em), they're cheap. Lay out some grids, pull the flags up as you go. If you can leave the ones you haven't hunted yet, even better, you'll know where you left-off on your next hunt there.

Good idea!

Wow, you're killing it! Are you the only detectorist in southern Oklahoma?

Hahaha, thanks, and oh lordy, I wish! :laughing::laughing: Not really but some days I get kind of low over the lack of good sites. This is the one and only site I've hunted here, permissions included, that has had this amount of stuff on it and hasn't been hunted to death. It is real nice for a change... :yes: and I'm afraid it's spoiling me.

Day 10 Update..

I only hunted a few hours today, it got too muggy out there even for me, so by noon I was about done in.

Today's good find is my oldest wheat, 1909. It wasn't even deep, I'd say maybe 3" at the most. It is in kinda rough shape though. Even so, can't complain about that! If I was 108 years old I'd be in kinda rough shape too I imagine.

picture.php

picture.php

I also found a 1965 quarter with a hole drilled through it, not sure about that. If I was going to wear a quarter it would be a silver one. Maybe it was the person's birth year though. I'll never know, that's the only thing that's certain about it :lol:

picture.php

Today's totals:

10 clad quarters, 4 clad dimes, 1 wheat penny

picture.php

Running totals:
Clad Talley: 275 coins: 4 clad halves, 69 clad quarters, 47 nickels, 61 clad dimes, and 84 pennies.

Silver/Old Coin Totals: 1935 Buffalo Nickel, 1957 Washington Quarter, 1944 War Nickel, two 1949 Wheat pennies, one 1909 Wheat penny

Way to keep finding the oldies. Congrats!

Thanks!

Day 11 not much of interest, just some clad

5 clad quarters, 5 clad dimes, 4 nickels, 6 pennies, oldest penny 1961

Running totals:
Clad Talley: 295 coins: 4 clad halves, 73 clad quarters, 51 nickels, 65 clad dimes, and 90 pennies.

Silver/Old Coin Totals: 1935 Buffalo Nickel, 1957 Washington Quarter, 1944 War Nickel, two 1949 Wheat pennies, one 1909 Wheat penny

BBsGal --

Great job finding a site that was "virgin" before you arrived. I'm up here in Norman, and those "virgin" sites are few and far between.

Nice digs, too. Can't wait to hear what type of site it was, once you've cleaned it out. Don't know how everyone else missed it prior to your discovery!

Steve

Great job on the finds. War nickels are kinda strange. my first rang up a perfect nickel tone. the one I found yesterday rang up a touch high and I was sure I was digging another beavertail !!. You might even have a buff in your future !!

Back
Top Bottom