Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 06-30-2022, 01:04 PM

Default Minelab question

While researching between Minelab and Legend, both are good detectors, the Legend's control box is waterproof while the Minelab 540 is not.

I'm wondering if Minelab has plans to release a new detector based on the 540 but with a waterproof box? I don't know - maybe the Minelab 640. I've seen a lot of folks love the 540 but expressed concerns about the waterproofing of the control box.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:44 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by gjdevlin View post
While researching between Minelab and Legend, both are good detectors, the Legend's control box is waterproof while the Minelab 540 is not.

I'm wondering if Minelab has plans to release a new detector based on the 540 but with a waterproof box? I don't know - maybe the Minelab 640. I've seen a lot of folks love the 540 but expressed concerns about the waterproofing of the control box.
Why wait and waste time for something that may or may not happen?
The Legend is here and the waterproofing seems to be very successful.
Myself, I would get a Legend.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:01 PM

It's my plan to purchase a Legend this year (hopefully) I just curious is all. :-)

Old 06-30-2022, 03:05 PM
Elite Member

99% doubtful on a waterproof 540. It you plan on using the legend in salt, I would watch some videos first. Fresh water no issue.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:13 PM
Elite Member

There's the Equinox 600 for about the same price as the legend.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:37 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
There's the Equinox 600 for about the same price as the legend.
I am a Equinox, Legend and 540 user/previous owner.

The Vanquish 540 is no match for the Equinox 600 or the Legend.

The Equinox 600 is no match for the Legend considering all of the features included with the Legend that the 600 lacks. Same goes for the Equinox 600 vs 800 unless one is just doing very basic/casual detecting.

The Equinox 800 and the Legend are very close in performance, versatility and features from my actual experience with these detectors. Price is the most important difference between them along with build quality.

Old 07-03-2022, 02:56 PM
24K Larry

No telling what Minelab will come out with next? Could be an improved Equinox or CTX design? If an Equinox had better waterproofing would be a big boost if they maybe separated the screen from the battery and had a stand alone handle. I can't speak for the legend since i have yet to run across one.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:50 AM
Elite Member

It's possible they have a product like that in the works, but I doubt it.

Remember, the more capable they make the 540, the less likely people will want to buy the 600.

If they made the 540 that was at least weather proof with adjustable ground balance, I'd never have gotten my 600.