Used Whites MD

rthitoff

I got sick right after I joined and was out of commission until recently. So i recently bought a used Whites Prizm 5g, it needed some work on it. I got it working and took it out today to a park where they had a festival recently. I was getting alot of reading of 50c/$ at 8+. The ground is super hard right now so I didn't dig a bunch of holes that deep. The grass was already brown and with no rain in the forecast, I didn't want a bunch more dead spots than the few I did dig with no luck at lesser depths. It just seems a little to good to be true that there would be that many older coins in the 100 square foot area I got these readings. I have to figgit with the batteries and bump the switch alot to turn it on and off. Do ya'll think that would cause it to give false readings?
Thanks Rick

I guess I thought on these ones with all the settings that wasn't on the one I used to have, when it said it's a quarter it was a quarter, when it said 50 cents, it was 50 cents, and a dollar it was a dollar, or it said jewelry it was jewelry. I guess I got a lot to learn about all these settings.

I guess I thought on these ones with all the settings that wasn't on the one I used to have, when it said it's a quarter it was a quarter, when it said 50 cents, it was 50 cents, and a dollar it was a dollar, or it said jewelry it was jewelry. I guess I got a lot to learn about all these settings.

Those are more possibilities than guaranteed IDs. The older Whites are some of the more accurate TID (Target Identification) detectors, but there is no 100% even with today's best. In fact, accurate target ID seems to be a thing of the past.

When detector manufacturers started saving money by reducing the number of target ID segments they convinced people that tone was the only reliable TDI. VDI (Visual Discrimination Indicator) has gotten less reliable over the past 10 years. In my opinion, the last best VDI was on the Whites DFX. Now it is a best guess type of indicator. If it says Quarter, it means it could be a quarter or many other metallic objects that fall in the same range.

That helps. I won't think I'm striking gold when it shows halves and dollars and dig big holes a foot deep, and mess up property. Thanks for the explation.

Back
Top Bottom