Metal Detecting as A Hobby

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Metal detecting is the best hobby that I have ever enjoyed and stuck to over time. I started in 1989 and was active for two years with my two sons. My detectors then stayed in my closet for about 10 years until I decided that it was more economical and enjoyable than my other two hobbies described below.

I had a particular good year in sales and found enough spare change to buy a used $52,000 Cessna 177 and scraped up some more change to take about 40 hours of flying lessons. After only two years, that hobby proved to be too expensive and sold the aircraft. Had fun since learning to fly was a life long dream of mine.

What followed were two 30 foot sail boats over a five year period. But I got wise on the lessons, just had a sailing instructor take me out one day for about 6 hours and that was that. Still after about five years the expensive sailboat upkeep and $225 per month dock fees dampened my desire to own sail boats.

Out of the closet again came my two metal detectors, a Fisher Gold Bug and Garrett Master Hunter ADS. I sold them and bought a Fisher ID Edge. Hit the parks for about six months and quit again due to family reasons.

The latest revival in my metal detecting about five years ago saw the Fisher ID Edge sold and the purchase of the AT Pro. I have been active ever since making another change to the Nox 800 in March of 2018.

Compared to other hobbies, anyone can pick up this hobby with as little as a $300 investment in a good decent entry level machine. My son hunts with an Ace 250 and I hunt with my Nox 800 and we both have fun and he has often out hunted me since he digs everything and I tend to discriminate more.

I was going to create a list of pros and cons of this hobby but could not find anything to list under the cons column.

So here are the pros.

Easy of entry in terms of price.
No expensive weekly fees like in golf.
Healthy outdoor hobby.
Can practice it nearly anywhere.
Researching new sites in very hot or cold weather is fun and comfortable.
You can actually find things of value and pay for your next detector upgrade.
You don’t have to be a genius or have athletic skills.
Each signal is a real treasure hunt and never fails to increase your level of excitement and sometimes disappointment.
Great fellowship when you hunt with local detectorists.
Helping others with you return of identifiable items to the owner.
An enjoyable personal challenge to master your new detector.
Learning and sharing stories on forums is always fun.
Most people are interested in your hobby when you mention that you are a detectorist.
A hobby you can enjoy at almost any instance when you have a couple of hours to kill.
Can learn from the experts for free on the forum. Try that with learning to fly.

Cons: I honestly cannot find any.

The bottom line is that metal detecting is a continuous treasure hunt. And who does not like a good treasure hunt? Every time I go detecting I never really know what I will find but I am always happy to be out hunting. Some hunts are more memorable than others, but all are fun. This is the essence of the hobby of metal detecting to me.

+1 …..neat post maxxkatt ! :thumbsup:

The one "con" that might apply to some more than others depending on where you live is the weather affecting part of the year, some places might have frozen ground and/or snow for several months, some places might have weeks at a time with extreme temps and high humidity making it tough to be outside long.

(of course the weather con affects some other hobbies too, but not Coinstar hunting unless you're snowed in :lol:)

Metal detecting is the best hobby that I have ever enjoyed and stuck to over time. I started in 1989 and was active for two years with my two sons. My detectors then stayed in my closet for about 10 years until I decided that it was more economical and enjoyable than my other two hobbies described below.

I had a particular good year in sales and found enough spare change to buy a used $52,000 Cessna 177 and scraped up some more change to take about 40 hours of flying lessons. After only two years, that hobby proved to be too expensive and sold the aircraft. Had fun since learning to fly was a life long dream of mine.

What followed were two 30 foot sail boats over a five year period. But I got wise on the lessons, just had a sailing instructor take me out one day for about 6 hours and that was that. Still after about five years the expensive sailboat upkeep and $225 per month dock fees dampened my desire to own sail boats.

Out of the closet again came my two metal detectors, a Fisher Gold Bug and Garrett Master Hunter ADS. I sold them and bought a Fisher ID Edge. Hit the parks for about six months and quit again due to family reasons.

The latest revival in my metal detecting about five years ago saw the Fisher ID Edge sold and the purchase of the AT Pro. I have been active ever since making another change to the Nox 800 in March of 2018.

Compared to other hobbies, anyone can pick up this hobby with as little as a $300 investment in a good decent entry level machine. My son hunts with an Ace 250 and I hunt with my Nox 800 and we both have fun and he has often out hunted me since he digs everything and I tend to discriminate more.

I was going to create a list of pros and cons of this hobby but could not find anything to list under the cons column.

So here are the pros.

Easy of entry in terms of price.
No expensive weekly fees like in golf.
Healthy outdoor hobby.
Can practice it nearly anywhere.
Researching new sites in very hot or cold weather is fun and comfortable.
You can actually find things of value and pay for your next detector upgrade.
You don’t have to be a genius or have athletic skills.
Each signal is a real treasure hunt and never fails to increase your level of excitement and sometimes disappointment.
Great fellowship when you hunt with local detectorists.
Helping others with you return of identifiable items to the owner.
An enjoyable personal challenge to master your new detector.
Learning and sharing stories on forums is always fun.
Most people are interested in your hobby when you mention that you are a detectorist.
A hobby you can enjoy at almost any instance when you have a couple of hours to kill.
Can learn from the experts for free on the forum. Try that with learning to fly.

Cons: I honestly cannot find any.

The bottom line is that metal detecting is a continuous treasure hunt. And who does not like a good treasure hunt? Every time I go detecting I never really know what I will find but I am always happy to be out hunting. Some hunts are more memorable than others, but all are fun. This is the essence of the hobby of metal detecting to me.

"dead nuts" accurate!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

There are a few cons. The frozen winters was a good one. I will add 2 more cons: 1)The negative connotations. They're out there. 2)The dirty knees on most of my jeans.
I don't care how many other cons get listed; MD'ing is a great hobby in my opinion! Good post Maxxkatt.

Pro- finding that _____ you dropped in the grass.
Quality time with kids/grand-kids
Resale value of used detectors is decent to good.
Con- you start to hate people for throwing trash everywhere.

Good post. The "pros" are numerous and rewarding, the few "cons" are almost totally insignificant. Shows that you don't have to empty the family treasury to have fun and enjoy your free time.

Coincidentally, I'm selling an airplane this winter. Of course I'll look for another. Sort of like detectors and peanuts. You can't stop with one.

Back
Top Bottom