Historical Society?

new jersey andy

Elite Member
What are the pros and cons of joining my towns historical society and what are the advantages ( if there are any ) of being able to detect privately owned property if I was a member? Would people be more apt to say no if they knew I belonged to one? Any thoughts are welcome.... Andy

What are the pros and cons of joining my towns historical society and what are the advantages ( if there are any ) of being able to detect privately owned property if I was a member? Would people be more apt to say no if they knew I belonged to one? Any thoughts are welcome.... Andy

Personally, I'd be more likely to say "yes".

Dusty

Personally, I'd be more likely to say "yes".

Dusty

i agree! and you might be able to make some great contacts and learn of some great areas for detecting! :yes:
and belonging to a "historical society", you and your detecting skills might be viewed and received more openly as someone who knows what he's doing with his detector rather than just "some guy with a metal detector digging holes everywhere".

Pete

If you could donate a found thing or two I would think that would be an ice breaker for you. The people I have met in historical societies are much more inclined to listen to the archies than a detector guy. But go for it, Steve in so az

I work at and belong to two different historical societies. You will usually find some great people with even better research skills! Also, they are mostly comprised of older folks with plenty of contacts. So you never know. I've got permission to hunt several sites because of my affiliations. It's a good, scratch that, great deal. And don't forget, you're going to learn a ton of great stuff.

Thanks guys for all the input. I think I will give it a shot. But what do you actually do at a historical society? Like if I was to join, What might I be doing?

Thanks... Andy

Thanks guys for all the input. I think I will give it a shot. But what do you actually do at a historical society? Like if I was to join, What might I be doing?

Thanks... Andy

i did a quick search for the Nova Scotia Heritage Society and came up with this overview of what they do:

Heritage Division's Working Mission

The Heritage Division serves the citizens of the province by protecting, by enhancing, and by celebrating its valuable heritage in a way that enriches the lives of those touched by it.

Here is a more complete articulation of what is meant by this statement:

The Heritage Division is a public sector organization advancing the public good in collaboration with a vibrant heritage sector

serves the citizens of the province through legislation, regulation, policies, practices, service delivery, and enforcement where desirable and necessary

by protecting, i.e. by using the most effective heritage resource management techniques to identify, collect, research, preserve, and protect the evidence of our natural and cultural heritage

by enhancing, through study, adding context-making connections across the communities of interest, adding relevance, salience, and materiality

and by celebrating through interpretation and promotion

its valuable heritage such as places, specimens, artifacts, buildings, skills, stories, languages, music, techniques and traditions, etc.

in a way that enriches the lives of those touched by it by increasing their knowledge, understanding, engagement and personal commitment to this heritage, whether they are citizens of Nova Scotia or visitors.

after reading that short description, i can't help but think similar societies in many areas would benefit from having MDer's in their memberships! it could be a good starting point to having some of the MDing regulations/restrictions relaxed a little bit.
a search for Historical society's brought up information more related to geneology, public archives and record keeping and so forth.

hope this helps,

Pete

I have wondered about the same thing. Maybe I will look into it too. I just haven't because I feel that it may seem like I am only doing it for my benefit. But I guess a donation or two will balance out the relationship.

Joining your local historical society is a no brainer for a thousand reasons. I own my own buiness in a small town. I have met and befriended many people that go back MANY generations in town. You will make many new contacts and gain respect from many on a personal and a business level too. I'm younger than most members in the society which is something that gets noticed. I didn't join for these reasons neccasarily, I just wanted to help out with something that was important to me. They are always looking for extra help for functions and stuff.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom