Cops! Karens! And curb strips.

DiggingThePNW

Forum Supporter
So went out Sunday for about 8 hrs. Had a few firsts. Found my first Washington tax tokens.
07C35A09-B315-4592-A969-1F745D243ECF.jpeg

The guy I was hunting with had some non dug examples he gave me so you can see how they hold up pretty poorly.

Then shortly after I had my first cop encounter. He pulled up asked what we were doing. He said there was no problem, good luck and said some angry women called. Shortly after maybe 5 mins a lady in her 70’s came out and was pissed the cop let us go. She said her neighbor has a gun and not to detect her yard or she may use it. I explained we weren’t in no ones yard. She said I was not able to detect or dig there I had explained that the cop already confirmed we could. As she walked towards her fence I said to my hunting partner that evidently people are worse here then Bellingham. She turned and said well we watch out for our neighbors and I just said your obviously bored and maybe you need a hobby. She said a few choice words so we moved on. Later in the day a drunk older fellow got in my face in a different town so it was eventful in that department but not so much for silver coins except this one
02A95F36-6896-4D17-BFE0-22739C0051DE.jpeg:laughing:

Ended up with 5 tokens including that game token and a Chuck E Cheese token that’s a record for me personally.

So in total I ended up with 8 wheat pennies but lost one in the car. Two hot wheels cars. A reflector and other trash. A tennis ball and 4.12 in change. Also think I found a mid 20th century button. Thanks for looking. Happy hunting to all

This is exactly why I do most of my nice manicured turf hunting at 2am. So peaceful. So serene. :laughing:

This is exactly why I do most of my nice manicured turf hunting at 2am. So peaceful. So serene. :laughing:

That women was so lonely I am sure she has many of restless nights staring out the window at the world that has left her by. It is so interesting some people actually let you do there yard after they ask what your up to. This particular women had no business in my opinion we never even hit her strip or the one on either side of her. Yet she is the one that called the cops and complained to us. Seems like each neighborhood has a nosey person

I am all for watching out for neighbors but there’s is also a lack of tact and politeness on her or those “Karens” behalf.

.... It is so interesting some people actually let you do there yard after they ask what your up to....

Exactly. Back when I used to do curb strips and door-knocking, I remember people actually telling me things like: "Sure. Go ahead. The shovel is in the garage". And when doing parks, people will sometimes come up and ask "what's the best thing you've ever found" and "how deep does it go" and "where can I buy one of those", etc.... FAR from this supposed hatred and revile that some people think follows md'rs around everywhere. It's exactly the opposite.

But sure, as you say, there's always going to be "bitter people" Sure. Some people will gripe about all sorts of things (esp. in nice manicured turf). Ok, fine. Then choose lower traffic times and avoid such lookie-lous. Presto, problem solved. :roll:

Exactly. Back when I used to do curb strips and door-knocking, I remember people actually telling me things like: "Sure. Go ahead. The shovel is in the garage". And when doing parks, people will sometimes come up and ask "what's the best thing you've ever found" and "how deep does it go" and "where can I buy one of those", etc.... FAR from this supposed hatred and revile that some people think follows md'rs around everywhere. It's exactly the opposite.

But sure, as you say, there's always going to be "bitter people" Sure. Some people will gripe about all sorts of things (esp. in nice manicured turf). Ok, fine. Then choose lower traffic times and avoid such lookie-lous. Presto, problem solved. :roll:

Had an older gentleman at a park later in the day come up and reminisce about his brother working for whites and how he used to detect and wished us luck. Also had another older fellow stop in the road and ask me the same questions you just mentioned. Where can you get one of those? How deep does it go? What do you usually find etc. Interesting thing that snotty woman didn’t even truly have a curb strip she had ripped it up and placed a ugly white crushed rock that had algae growing on it. In all reality I am fine being hassled just find it odd. Wish I had started doing curb strips 2 years ago.

I always think of myself as a ghost out there. No one see's me. Has always worked for me.. ..

I always think of myself as a ghost out there. No one see's me. Has always worked for me.. ..

Exactly, act as if you OWN that place Casper! Just do what you do! I have found that WEARING A CAMERA ON MY HEAD actually seems to keep everybody away. Odd? It seems to work! Also, I find that the more I am at a place, the less attention I draw...until it’s almost as though I were a ghost. People don’t pay ANY attention to me whatsoever.

Best Title Ever!!! Congratulations kid you broke your cherry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That women was so lonely I am sure she has many of restless nights staring out the window at the world that has left her by.

Great observation. As I've gotten older, I've come to a sad realization. The older you get, the less you matter in this world. The people who cared about you disappear one by one. Your relatives die and your friends move away, so your world gets smaller all the time. It makes it very easy to become bitter and jaded...

So went out Sunday for about 8 hrs. Had a few firsts. Found my first Washington tax tokens.
View attachment 484862

The guy I was hunting with had some non dug examples he gave me so you can see how they hold up pretty poorly.

Then shortly after I had my first cop encounter. He pulled up asked what we were doing. He said there was no problem, good luck and said some angry women called. Shortly after maybe 5 mins a lady in her 70’s came out and was pissed the cop let us go. She said her neighbor has a gun and not to detect her yard or she may use it. I explained we weren’t in no ones yard. She said I was not able to detect or dig there I had explained that the cop already confirmed we could. As she walked towards her fence I said to my hunting partner that evidently people are worse here then Bellingham. She turned and said well we watch out for our neighbors and I just said your obviously bored and maybe you need a hobby. She said a few choice words so we moved on. Later in the day a drunk older fellow got in my face in a different town so it was eventful in that department but not so much for silver coins except this one
View attachment 484863:laughing:

Ended up with 5 tokens including that game token and a Chuck E Cheese token that’s a record for me personally.

So in total I ended up with 8 wheat pennies but lost one in the car. Two hot wheels cars. A reflector and other trash. A tennis ball and 4.12 in change. Also think I found a mid 20th century button. Thanks for looking. Happy hunting to all

I do a lot of 'stripping' and after so many years of it, i have drawn the conclusion
that 'some" people act the way that they do out of "fear" with so much "!!!!" goin down in our society,some"Karens"cause grief, and exhibit "weird" behavior. fortunately, in MY experience my confrontations over the years have been minimal, and "fleeting"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I do a lot of 'stripping' and after so many years of it, i have drawn the conclusion
that 'some" people act the way that they do out of "fear" with so much "!!!!" goin down in our society,some"Karens"cause grief, and exhibit "weird" behavior. fortunately, in MY experience my confrontations over the years have been minimal, and "fleeting"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Agreed

Best Title Ever!!! Congratulations kid you broke you cherry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah first cop encounter detecting. Not first homeowner encounter. I am 40 but feel every bit like a kid compared to those that have approached me negatively!

Great observation. As I've gotten older, I've come to a sad realization. The older you get, the less you matter in this world. The people who cared about you disappear one by one. Your relatives die and your friends move away, so your world gets smaller all the time. It makes it very easy to become bitter and jaded...

Yeah getting older we all watch it go by quicker and quicker it seems

Do you use a head lamp? That might attract even more weirdos!

OKAY just to play DEVIL'S ADVOCATE, let me point out that a 70 year old woman (which isn't that so far away for me) MIGHT be uncomfortable with some guy hanging around her house. Maybe she's been robbed in the past- YOU know you aren't up to no good, but she might see it differently.
Sorry she went for calling the cops, but you just don't know.

Back
Top Bottom