My best coin spill ever

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Hey everyone, been too long! Been a really slow start to the year, I just havent been able to get out as much as I have in the past. Theres a few different reasons for this, but the main one is a kitchen remodel I've been working on since February. Completely gutted out a kitchen from the 1950-60's and have been rebuilding since. A gift for my sister in law (I'm doing it free of charge). I'll have to get some before and after photos up when its finished. But enough of that, let's get to the good stuff :yes: yesterday I did my routine one or two hour hunt after work. I decided to hit an overgrown farm field next a cellar hole, and across the street from a mid 1800's cemetery. I've done around the cellar hole in the past and found multiple dandy buttons, a matron, and a few other relics, but nothing too crazy. I go here every once in awhile, only because I know there's something special out there, just got to get the coil over it! Which is the hardest part, because the brush is so thick. Anyway I started working the lot across the street, which on aerials, shows it was once a farm field (now thick woods). I've dabbled in this area slightly in the past, and have never even found a coin in this particular area. So I get a nickel signal, didnt think much of it, I had already dug a couple shotgun shells at this point so.i figured it was more garbage. Well I threw the dirt out of the hole and saw "one dime" staring back at me. I was happy with that, and thought for sure I had a seated due to the age of the site, and the age of the relics. Ended up being a barber dime. Well why the nickel signal then? Sure enough, found 2 nickels in the hole, one buff and one V, along with 5 more silver dimes! :wow: I was on cloud 9 already, as that more than doubled my silver count for the year. I decided to give that immediate area another slow scan, and about 5-6' away, I get a jumpy 17,18,19,20. I was thinking could be a coin, but I was in no way prepared for what was about to come. I dig down and almost immediately see a large silver rim staring back at me. I knew it was a big silver, just wasn't sure how big. Ended up being the 1917 walker, but while digging that out, I cant help but notice MULTIPLE silver edges staring back at me :shock: when it was all said and done, I pulled 11 silvers out of that hole, one Walker, one stander and 9 dimes. Also 4 wheats were in this hole, and one had a fabric stuck to the side of it, so I was thinking either a wallet, or coin purse. I stuck around for another hour, with no more coins found. I seriously thought I had found my first cache, but so far, I'm more leaning towards coin spill. I guess we will find out based on the finds out there. I wont be able to get back out there til next week probably, but I'll keep you all posted if anything shows up. Enjoy the pictures, what a thrill! :cool3: happy hunting everyone!

Attachments

• 20210426_114818.jpg
    20210426_114818.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 20210426_115338.jpg
    20210426_115338.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 20210426_115408.jpg
    20210426_115408.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,019
  • 20210426_115912.jpg
    20210426_115912.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 20210427_071206~2.jpg
    20210427_071206~2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,013
Wow, you hit the mother load with that hunt. Since you found so many silvers in one day, you now met your monthly quota, now take the rest of the month off. lol. Congrats!

Holy Cow!!! Those are what dreams are made of. The slq looks great. What year is it?

I found a coin purse once with about 45 coins so I know your excitement! All spread out about a 4 foot section of a hillside. Only clue it was a purse was that I found the zipper. The big difference is mine only had 1 silver, 2 play coins, 2 tokens, and 40 wheats. Your outcome is truly one of a kind!

That is incredible!
Thanks!
Insane!!! That's why those mid tones are soooooo good.
Right? Couldn't believe it! I scratched one of the mercs pretty good, was not expecting silver from that hole, that's for sure...
Wow, you hit the mother load with that hunt. Since you found so many silvers in one day, you now met your monthly quota, now take the rest of the month off. lol. Congrats!
Thanks JAK! Yep I only had 5 silvers up until yesterday :laughing: I needed something like this, honestly :lol: happy hunting!
Holy Cow!!! Those are what dreams are made of. The slq looks great. What year is it?

I found a coin purse once with about 45 coins so I know your excitement! All spread out about a 4 foot section of a hillside. Only clue it was a purse was that I found the zipper. The big difference is mine only had 1 silver, 2 play coins, 2 tokens, and 40 wheats. Your outcome is truly one of a kind!
The walker was a 1917, so I was hopeful the quarter would be too, but alas, it was a 1920. Still looking for my type 1 standing liberty quarter :roll: I've had a few memorable spills, but nothing quite like this. Thanks GTL!!!
Awesome finds... My best "silver spill" has been two Rosies in the same hole. Great job.
Thank you! Wish these spills were more common :laughing: happy hunting!

Wow Jeff! That's great Karma right there! Thanks for the
in the action pics!
Jer

Whaaat ?: UNBELEIVABLE ! Thats a md'rs dream come true. Jeff you hit it outa of the park with this one. I was excited just to see the pics so I could only imagine what cloud you were on looking in the hole. Karma smiling on you, congrats and couldn't happen to a nicer guy. There is a down side, how you ever going to top this one? You'll need to find a stash of gold GW inaugural buttons or something else crazy. Good luck, Mark

You can go ahead and put your coil away for the year and save a little for the rest of us:laughing: Seriously though, nice coin spill and I'm betting, like you said, coin purse. Congrats!

Holy cow!
I don't even know what I'm talkin about and that's a beaut of a find!
NOICE!!! :shock:

Wonder what the face value of those collective coins would be in today's money?

Wonder what the face value of those collective coins would be in today's money?
Assuming they were lost around 1945 (since that is the last year of mercs), the equivalent face value (not melt value) of the silver & nickels now because of inflation would be just under $35. :shock:

.... I seriously thought I had found my first cache, but so far, I'm more leaning towards coin spill....

cellr-dwellr, this post is "what it's all about". Great play by play. Great pix. And the "in-situ reveal" make the reader/viewer feel the entire event. Thanx for bringing us along. Congratz on the find bro !

As for the cache vs pocket spill : Another term that could describe a find like this is : "purse"

Yes it's possible to be a pocket spill, since, theoretically someone could have had 25-ish coins in their pocket. Sure. But also back then they had little coin purses. That, if they were cloth/fabric, might have corroded over the century down to nothing. So if you found a little purse-clasp in the hole, that might help you hone down the definition of the type find.

Even "caches" can have different stages/types. There were smaller ones that could be defined as "bread & butter" cache. That might only have a few dollars in it (yet was deliberately stashed, and not a fumble-fingers loss). Versus the stereotypical cache we all think of, with hundreds of coins in a jar or box or whatever. Don't forget: Back in those days: $2 or $3 was a lot of money, eh ? :?:

But I suppose it's a moot point. Call it whatever variety you want :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom