Invite from Historical Society?

T4CodyBear

I have recently been invited to visit and discuss some of my finds and research with a couple members of the local Historical Society through a library contact who took the lead.

At first I was excited about discussing my research and finds with the HS and also maybe gain some additional info for future hunting sights. But then I thought back to some posts I have seen here and thought this may back fire!?!

As much as I would like to share my research and finds I do not want to give my honey holes away and bring attention to others..........

Any thoughts?

There is no way you should say exactly where you found anything. If you had permission to hunt I would leave it at that. I would just say the southern, northern, eastern or western part of the county

I would just say a whatever era home or farm in whichever county it was. It's not like they are going to be prying you for addresses.
It sounds like fun.

What have you got to lose! I talk to history groups, hold exhibitions in libraries and visit schools! Get out amongst the community and promote the hobby! Rather than think negative think positive and who knows what rewards you will reap? History groups are interested in what we are interested in,history!

I don't know about others, but for me it worked out wonderfully!

I was invited and made a presentation for my local historical society. They had me speak for quite a while. Since then, it's opened many doors for new places to hunt. Additionally, most of the members are older folks and can give me first hand info on places I have questions about. I joined the HS and attend every monthly meeting and give a quick recap of my previous months finds (if there was something good).

See my post from a while back:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=126278

Thanks for all the feedback, I think you all make great points. I guess my reluctance was due to posts I've read regarding "Archie's" etc.....

I will respond to the HS and share some info without giving away specific areas, although that's the hard part I feel because I would almost like to say what old homestead certain items were found at.

I will update when I have some news...... HH

Back
Top Bottom