cannon ball

It takes a lot to make one go off. Think about it, they were carried in the back of wagons on rutted out dirt roads. I have heard of a lot of people getting them drilled out and keeping them.

Not really. It usually degrades in a harmless manner. It can still go off, but not easily.

Agree. The powder by all means is considered explosive and therefore dangerous. But it doesn't deteriorate like old tnt, where that develops explosive crystals and issues with just moving it. This powder is made above the standards of normal black powder, it needed to survive the concussion of the ordinance firing, then explode under a controlled fuse. Have people been injured trying to drill and handle them? Yes. But there's plenty of research to do it the right way and plenty of people do it. Don't be the bubba in the woods with a black and decker just hammering into it. There's also people you can pay to do it for you, you'd need to just drive it over to them.

Years ago I found what I thought was a cannonball. It was about the size of a baseball and had a flat spot on it about the size of a nickel. If you shook it, you could hear something inside, and I assumed that was gunpowder. Don't know what ever happened to it, it just kinda "disappeared" one day.:?:

Black powder that has gotten wet and then allowed to dry out is more unstable and more highly volatile than any that has not gotten wet and then dried out.

A friend was visiting a lowcountry family and they had a cannon ball as a door stop. He asked if the thing had been checked to make sure it was stable and the answer was no. They had an EOD TEAM check and it was highly volatile and make a very large boom when they blew it up.

sadly the only safe way to drill these suckers is with an auto feed drill press with a water fed chuck. preferably one in a underground bunker.

Back
Top Bottom