Minelab Safari for someone who never owned a Minelab

Tajue17

I'd say I'm intermediate in the experience department , looking to upgrade the F2,,, found a safari in my price range,,, I'm mostly over dirt but wouldn't mind the occasional trip to the coast which is a mile from me,,, dry sand is great but being able to go over wet sand is even greater?

what do you guys think?

If you are thinking that you want to get closer to the water which is anything but predictable then get a used 600. Just my opinion.

In my opinion the Safari is the worst Minelab. Weighs a ton, super slow recovery speed and did I mention it weighs a ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say I'm intermediate in the experience department , looking to upgrade the F2,,, found a safari in my price range,,, I'm mostly over dirt but wouldn't mind the occasional trip to the coast which is a mile from me,,, dry sand is great but being able to go over wet sand is even greater?

what do you guys think?
If it were me, and the price was right, I would pick up another safari for sure. Yes very heavy, but is one of the best models for both coinshooting and the wet sand at the beach. Just don't get it wet! If weight is a factor than I agree with the post above on the equinox. Light as a feather and is continuing to produce the goods for almost every person that uses one. I had one too, but FBS is my favorite technology so far. It works best for me in my hunting conditions. Good luck with whatever you decide!

what do you guys think?

The Safari's FBS tech is a proven workhorse for hunting in mineralized soils, salt water, and wet salt sand. Target ID is fairly accurate. It has an auto mode so you can simply turn-on and hunt, but there are also settings to tweak the machine for the best possible output. There are loads of aftermarket coils too! The negative is the Safari replaced the Quattro around (I think) '05-08. Considering the age, the processing speed is slower than the Etrac, and noticeably slower than the CTX and NOX. For example, get the coil over multiple targets, especially a larger coil, and you may find the processor can't keep up and it overloads. It is not moisture or waterproof. It does not have a backlight on the screen.

IMO, if you are paying around $300 for the Safari, go for it! Great machine for the money. If you are paying $500, then you are in used NOX 600 territory. A used NOX will still have AT LEAST 2-1/4 more years of warranty too.

once you make the jump to FBS you will love it. Granted the equinox is great and all but the solid ID especially at depth sold me on FBS.

If you want to find silver definitely consider FBS. If you want it to do most everything get the equinox

once you make the jump to FBS you will love it. Granted the equinox is great and all but the solid ID especially at depth sold me on FBS.

If you want to find silver definitely consider FBS. If you want it to do most everything get the equinox

I agree with this advice completely. I went from Whites IDX to the Explorer2 and starting barfing deep coins and silver(as its generally deep and older around here) immediately. Like...immediately! People are doing very well with the EQ as well!

I agree with this advice completely. I went from Whites IDX to the Explorer2 and starting barfing deep coins and silver(as its generally deep and older around here) immediately. Like...immediately! People are doing very well with the EQ as well!

and i thot you and i were the last idx fans. i got a 600 last week and lovin it aka Bowser:cool:

Back
Top Bottom