• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New guy!

FrostFolk

Howdy! I've been watching this forum for a long while now, decided it may finally time to join. I do not yet have a detector, but I'm hoping after some advice I will drop the cash :D

My story!
I have been interested in finding things on the ground my whole life. Before the age of 10, I had found two 24k gold charms and one 14k necklace. I had also found zirconian diamonds in the sand, a 1,000,000 Turkish lira bill (not worth much at all, but you can imagine my little face), and lots of cash. My parents always joked that they should take me to Vegas! I also love history, nature, and antiques, so you can imagine how 'up my alley' detecting is. I will also add that my favorite television program of all time is a British sitcom called "detectorists", which if you haven't seen I highly recommend, it's all about detecting! There's only a few things that make me hesitate before I buy a detector. 1. I live in Berkeley (in the San Francisco Bay) in a deep urban part of town. Any parks that do exist, I'm sure have been detected clean. There's probably clad and modern stuff, but I am more interested in old coins and historical finds. 2. I don't drive.. living in the Bay, I can take public transportation anywhere, so I never got my license. So going to the middle of nowhere can be difficult, especially since I live in the middle of everywhere. 3. Early next year, I am planning on moving to Finland. This is only a problem because I am actually trying to liquidate my belongings right now, buying a big shiny detector will make my move harder. I would wait until I'm there to buy it, but I'm impatient and I'm worried I will be too busy with being in a new country to be able to take up a new hobby. Obviously my plan is to eventually detect there, as it is probably rich with cool things for me to pull from the dirt! As a little bit more background into me, I am a mariner, I work on ships and am working towards my Captain's license.

If you read all the way through this then I commend you! Let me know what you all think, should I buy a detector now? Planning on a Nox 600, looks like a beautiful machine.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

I'm not personally familiar with the Nox 600 but if you search the forum you should find some good comments from those who do have one.

:mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder:

:fmdfwelcome:... from the Land of 10,000 Lakes - Minnesota! :grin: We're glad that you have joined us. Happy hunting! :mder:
If you read all the way through this then I commend you! Let me know what you all think, should I buy a detector now? Planning on a Nox 600, looks like a beautiful machine.
Although I personally haven't used an Equinox, from what I've seen and heard it has some good reviews. But, like every detector, they all will have some pros & cons. Whatever you decide on, happy hunting and I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your finds! :detector:

Welcome.
Ya gotta start somewhere, don't assume all parks are totally hunted out and even if one is you have a ton of other sites to try in your travels.
Best to have a metal detector handy in case you do get access to a site with those old coins you want to find.

These things pack down smaller than you think so moving shouldn't be a huge issue.

Welcome from central Virginia. I use an ATPro (my first detector) but the Nox 600 is probably my next one. Keep us posted from Finland………...

That's a tough call to get one now or wait! If you get it now, its "in the way" of an easy move. If you wait, you may end up not getting one over there or finding it is more expensive. That said, if you are going to get a Nox, get the 800 model, not the 600. There are many reasons why the 800 is better - more adjustability, higher single frequencies to choose from (not just used for finding gold), far more sensitivity adjustments, vast improvement in tone adjustments and more. The 800 costs more, but sell your wm 08 wireless module for $100 and its nearly the same price, with wireless headphones to boot! (the ml 80 headphones).

Howdy! I've been watching this forum for a long while now, decided it may finally time to join. I do not yet have a detector, but I'm hoping after some advice I will drop the cash :D

My story!
I have been interested in finding things on the ground my whole life. Before the age of 10, I had found two 24k gold charms and one 14k necklace. I had also found zirconian diamonds in the sand, a 1,000,000 Turkish lira bill (not worth much at all, but you can imagine my little face), and lots of cash. My parents always joked that they should take me to Vegas! I also love history, nature, and antiques, so you can imagine how 'up my alley' detecting is. I will also add that my favorite television program of all time is a British sitcom called "detectorists", which if you haven't seen I highly recommend, it's all about detecting! There's only a few things that make me hesitate before I buy a detector. 1. I live in Berkeley (in the San Francisco Bay) in a deep urban part of town. Any parks that do exist, I'm sure have been detected clean. There's probably clad and modern stuff, but I am more interested in old coins and historical finds. 2. I don't drive.. living in the Bay, I can take public transportation anywhere, so I never got my license. So going to the middle of nowhere can be difficult, especially since I live in the middle of everywhere. 3. Early next year, I am planning on moving to Finland. This is only a problem because I am actually trying to liquidate my belongings right now, buying a big shiny detector will make my move harder. I would wait until I'm there to buy it, but I'm impatient and I'm worried I will be too busy with being in a new country to be able to take up a new hobby. Obviously my plan is to eventually detect there, as it is probably rich with cool things for me to pull from the dirt! As a little bit more background into me, I am a mariner, I work on ships and am working towards my Captain's license.

If it were ME.. I would buy it Now and use the Opportunity to really get to know your detector before your Move..

The Bay area has some age to it and still lots of shore line to explore.

Finland sure does sound like a pretty awesome place to hunt.. congrats on your life decision!

Nox.. I have owned the 600 and upgraded to the 800. For the most part they are the same.. the 800 does allow a lot more tweaking but both are turn on and go machines.. either one is good.. just check out the differences online and then decide on which.

Good Luck and Hope to see your finds one day both here and abroad !

Welcome! The Equinox is a great machine. I started with the AT Pro, another great machine, then because one wasn’t enough I got a Nokia Impact, yet another great machine, then because two weren’t enough I got the Equibox 800. Suffice to say neither the AT Pro or the Impact have seen the light of day since. If I had to do it over I’d probably skip straight to the Equinox, which is not a slight on the other two, it just does what I want, is light, fast and waterproof. Some say it’s not an easy machine to learn, the same has been said about the AT Pro, I had a bit of a learning curve with the AT Pro but hit the hang of it pretty quickly. The Equinox, well you can turn it on and go, then once you get a feel for it there are a multitude of settings you can adjust, or not if it suits you.

You are right about heavy detecting pressure in the east SF bay area. One of the last Frontiers is to hunt Old Town Urban demolition tractor scrapes that's come up periodically there.

Back
Top Bottom