• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How Important are Headphones?

When I hunt tot lots usually no one around but sometimes there are people. I usually use my Ace 250 there and I NEVER use headphones on it.

If you want to hear those really deep whisper targets which are usually the good old stuff then a good set of headphones are a must. I would just buy some snake chaps and find the real deep stuff if it was me. HH

should i just buy the garrett had phones or is there something else i should look for? i don't wanna break the bank if possible. i already went from a $65 bounty hunter to a $500 AT PRO after 2 weeks of starting the hobbie and now have a garett pin pointer2 on the way so i've dropped about $600 on my new found love in a very short amount of time.

And there is more, $95 for a predator or Lesche shovel, $100 for a good sand scoop if you hunt beaches, a 5x8 coil, you will love it on the AT Pro. then maybe a sniper coil and in the other direction a 15" coil. Before you know it you will have $1,500 in your new hobby.

HH and always dig the clad at least you are getting some gas money that also adds up.

Snake chaps or boots. Maybe someone with good ears to tag along?

I'm deaf in one ear anyway. I probably need only one side to begin with!

I'm deaf in one ear anyway. I probably need only one side to begin with!

Definitely helpful in noisy places and using metal detectors with a lot of modulation. I'm using atx sound peets ear buds?? I only put one in so I can use pinpointer and hear any dangers around me- thugs, dogs, cars, beautiful woman turned on by metal detectorist.

I kill on average 2 to 3 Rattlers on my property each year. they have run anywhere from 6" to 6'. The last one just lay there daring me to mess with him. It's true that not many people die from rattler bites each year but are you really going to chance it or are you going to go spend thousands in antivenom. Where I live Timber and Diamond Backs are no joke.

Steve

How important is wearing underwear? Headphones save on battery life which means more time to hunt.

Without headphones or earbuds you will not hear the weaker tones of deep targets. I wear them any time I am swinging a coil.

I have hunted game in the woods for close to 70 years and in all that time I have seen two or three poison snakes. And you better believe they were there but I don't step over logs where they may be laying. I one day had my hand within a foot of a copper head before I saw it. It just laid there watching me.

Rattlesnakes don't always rattle before they strike and bite. How do I know this? Growing up in middle Georgia (not much to do) we hunted snakes for fun. Not to kill them but to bring them home and put in cages for a week or two and would let them go. Of course we only captured non-poisonous snakes. How ever when hunting non-poisonous snakes you often found their poisonous cousins.

So here are the rules to keep you safe. Wear good thick leather shoes or boots and jeans or long pants that are not tight below the knees. Often they will bite just the fabric if you are lucky.

Do not step, sit or lay down anywhere you don't look o disturb with a stick or metal detector coil. Above all do not climb rocks and put your hands above your head on rock ledges where you cannot see the copperheads favorite lounging spot.

Do not put your hands in a hole or anywhere you cannot see. Lots of things can be in that hole. Snakes, spiders, scopions, poision ivy or oak, etc.

Snakes and most wildlife are afraid of things that are bigger than themselves. They bite when cornered or stepped on or have a stupid human come accidentally too close for their comfort zone.

Keep in mind snakes don't hear, so don't yell at them to get away. They are good at sensing vibrations in the ground and pit-vipers like rattlesnakes can sense heat and strike a prey in 100% darkness.

If you live in Mud-puppy country, then you have an additional worry. Their rattlesnakes have been known to have Snake Fungal Disease so getting bit by one of Mud's rattlesnakes could lead to a serious fungal infection if it bit you on your big toe.

In lake waters and creeks if you come near a snake in the water (and yes all snakes can swim) just step aside. Rare for a swimming snake to take time out of his/her journey to bite someone they are trying their best to avoid.

another tall tale is that snakes chase people. not true, they just might be going in the same direction as you are but they do not chase people.

What do you do when you stumble on a snake?

well if the snake has not bitten you, you just back off and hunt elsewhere. Copperheads tend to stay in groups at certain times of the year so if it is a copperhead, then relocate a good 300 or 400 yards elsewhere.

If the snake has bitten you and you see a row of teeth marks (more than two) then don't worry, it is non-poisonous bite and it will just bleed a little.

If you see one or two fang puncture marks, calmly walk to your car and go to a hospital or fire station. Of if not out in the boonies, call 911.

But the above common sense will protect you from getting bit at all.

If you live near the Florida Everglades, all bets are off. they have 30 foot Annaconda snakes that can can just simply bite you, drag you down and squeeze the life out of you and swallow you if you are not a big guy. Of course that is true only if you escape the massive alligators they also have in Florida. But hey, who would be detecting in a swamp?

Here in Georgia we have other worries. on any given day 4 people die in a car accidents, a similar number are shot and killed especially in the ghetto areas of our larger towns especially parts of Atlanta and Albany, 113 people drowned, 27 men were shot by their wives or the wives boyfriends, 23 killed by lightening, two people killed by mosquito bites with the West Nile virus.

So in Georgia, snakes are the least of my worries. Hunting in west Atlanta at some civil war sites near the ghettos would be my biggest fear. Getting killed by a drug addict who wished to pawn my metal detector is a real fear and that is why I don't hunt in that area. I would rather hunt around a pack of upset rattlesnakes.

hear both the MD and the world around you.

Headphones are important for several reasons. I choose to use them so no one can hear my equipment and I am cognizant of my suroundings. I use hearing protection gear which take a line in and pass through outside noise. search for this:

Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Earmuff

this one is an inexpensive solution and you can hear the snakes, maybe even better then your natural ear.

there are several similar options out there, the greatest benefit is that you can hear the outside world, even amplified if you choose to turn it up that far. For my case it also blocks out loud noise too.

the one drawback with this product is that the sound amplification works only simultaneously between outside noise and line input. so when you turn up the MD input (from no outside noise) to hear it louder, the outside noise also increases. adjustable to a slight degree (i.e you can get MD sound only).

now, I would only want a set of headphones that somehow permit outside noise through. as nice as it would be to entrance myself with ID tones in my own little acoustic orb, I've had experiences that warranted the hearing of my surroundings.

i'm going to ask a dumb question related to the post above. If you get the deep signals i'm assuming that means they will be quieter but will they register the same number on the screen that they would if they were higher? i guess what i'm saying is, will a quarter ring up the same at 2 or 4 inches that it would at 8 inches on the screen but just have a fainter tone?

No depth can affect the VDI number to some degree. Not sure why, but may have something to do with ground mineralization. This is a good question for vferrari.

i'm going to ask a dumb question related to the post above. If you get the deep signals i'm assuming that means they will be quieter but will they register the same number on the screen that they would if they were higher? i guess what i'm saying is, will a quarter ring up the same at 2 or 4 inches that it would at 8 inches on the screen but just have a fainter tone?

That can be partially correct in certain ground conditions. It may be the same screen reading but just fainter in the headphones.

But, and this is a big but. The display ID can and often does change a little or a lot according to depth. It is due to moisture and mineralization of the soil. I consulted Vferarri on the other forum to confirm this. In addition to this there often are small bits of rust or metal or other metal objects further down that changes the solid coin signal of say 22 to bouncing number between 18 - 27. Only air test give consistent ID as distance varies are air tests, not ground tests.

Determining what is below your coil varies depending on the quality of the detector and the experience of the user with that detector. Someone like Calabash digger with his XP Deus or Nox 800 can call most signals pretty accurately, but even he gets fooled from time to time.

Hope this helps.

I vote for Gray Ghost - Amphibian. I use these all the time. Even if I don't go under water, they can be washed down along with the AT Pro...…….

I wouldn’t hunt without them either. I don’t like people listening in to my digging, nor do I want to disturb anyone with constant beeps. The headphones magnify the sound to your ears helping you distinguish softer and louder signals. I feel like I find more when using my phones.

Good Lord!...Theres like only 3 people killed in this Country every year by rattlesnakes! Most were in Church at the time, winging them around like a News Year Eve Chinese Chattertoy! Dont blame Rattlesnakes for that!

So if you were a water Gold Hunter, you would be saying, "Hey, What shark mesh waders do y'all recommend?" "I live in Iowa, but still, I dont want to be gobbled up by a Bullshark!" That would make a lot more sense than your fear of rattlesnakes!

Or a guy Hunting up in Canada? "Hey, I want to know what aftershave or cologne to avoid wearing in Bigfoot Country, so as not to get my coal chute accidentally reamed by a Rocky mountain skunk ape, or attract the unwanted advances of a Polar Bear, or get royally rammed in the rumpus by a Narwhal? Or get my clam slammed damnably by a pack of Hangry Walruses!

In fact, depending upon who you ask, most Rattlesnakes are more ascared than us than we are of them..like I said, depending on who you ask..the Snake or the Human!

I agree on your initial concept, "this is a Dangerous Planet for Humans, a guy has got to hear what might be sneaking up on him".......snakes are the least of our worries though...A guy I know up here got killed by a mosquito bite, another from a tick bite, another got killed by hitting a deer on his way to work, another got shot dead by his Wife...so hey, lets put this all in perspective!

Nobody ever got killed by hitting a rattlesnake on their way to work that I know of, so the safest thing for you to do would be quit going to church...if rattlesnakes are your Primary Death concern... ! :laughing:

I wear headphones alla the damned time...mainly to block out the dangerous World sounds and find a bit of peace while I hunt for pulltabs and pennies...Also, this may help you...It seems Bigfoots intent on buggering Metal detectorists prefer "Pernaud Clubman" Aftershave over Olde Spice or Axe....its available at Walgreens in case you would ever like to meet a Bigfoot...

I dont know what the hell scent Rattlesnakes prefer? Maybe something that smells like a mouse? Something from Disney World? Or the deli Counter discount section?

Cant help you here...I got Narwhal, Bullsharks and Polar bears and deer to be worrying about...and of course the Wife, who likes that 'Pernaud Clubman'..Even though I am at great risk to the Buggering Bigfoots, it gentles her up I have found, and I'm more ascared of Her than I am of them!....

Wow.....Old thread! I was really on a roll here!..So I clicked on my own quote! I sometimes forget how funny I am as these old posts evidence! Sheesh-ka-bibble!

Thanks for the good laugh this morning Mud-puppy! Thats what I like about you! Even after all these years together, I never know what you are gonna do or say next! :laughing:

I kill on average 2 to 3 Rattlers on my property each year. they have run anywhere from 6" to 6'. The last one just lay there daring me to mess with him. It's true that not many people die from rattler bites each year but are you really going to chance it or are you going to go spend thousands in antivenom. Where I live Timber and Diamond Backs are no joke.

Steve

Don’t see many rattlers here in western Pennsylvania,but this fatty was on the sidewalk last year near one of our customers house.

Attachments

• D852AFA4-48F6-41A8-9FCA-260A3D732BFF.jpeg
    D852AFA4-48F6-41A8-9FCA-260A3D732BFF.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 164
I sometimes don't use them if my son is with me bc he's got the carrot and hand digger. He's part of the action and learning the sounds that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least a Copperhead will ring up as a low 80s on the AT Pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom