Took The New Garrett ACE APEX Out For A Water Hunt Today

There are two types of possible affiliation here, one is a person who is an actual employee of a company and one who is a dealer or reseller of the product. I do not believe either one would be dishonest in reviewing a new product but I think they will certainly keep a positive spin on it which they should. I am sure anything they have found that might be undesirable about the machine is being reported back to Garrett and I am sure that is the intent of these testers. There will be plenty of “honest” reviews and highlights of any shortcomings or pluses once it goes up for sale and is in the public’s hands. This is certainly a jump in technology and I think it only is going to bring good things to the hobby for all of us.

I agree 100%.

It wasn't a joke. You're consistent with your pithy, ignorant comments about Garrett.

Looks like that stuff got into ur oatmeal also. You have your opinion and announce it and so do I. This is what some folks call a "FRIENDLY" forum. It appears that you may have slid a bit off center and trying to have others adapt to something opposite to the announced character of this great forum. :?:

I'd like to see a fair comparison to the nox for land hunting. I'm sure there'll be tons of comparisons but finding an unbiased one will be the challenge. Looking forward to Steve Herschbach reviewing it.

me as well! steve has no dog in this fight!..he will be honest, and will tell it like it
is! he has admitted that he is NOT a garrett field tester..of course, if you are "paranoid" then you will trust no one's review, except your own! just have to buy one and have at it!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Read the manual last night, went through the different programs to familiarize myself to the APEX and charged up both the wireless APEX Module and the Garrett MS-3 wireless headphones. Got up early, did a pre-function test, and the components worked as they should. I had been planning my first water hunt for some time for today, so I thought I would use the APEX. To keep it simple, I hunted in jewelry mode, @ 5 KHz hoping to get a silver ring or coin. I manually ground balanced the APEX prior working the shallow water. I also attached the Garrett shoulder sling on the detector, in case I accidentally dropped it, the electronics wouldn't go in to the water. It took a little time to get used to the 5 different tones, and being able to adjust the iron audio is a real blessing.

Hunting in jewelry mode, I dug all the repeatable signals, and was pleased to see how easy it was to get a nice clear high tone on the audio, for all three coins.

Here are the coins I dug. This location gave me 3-4 silver quarters last year using the Garrett AT Max. The AT Pro just didn't seem to have enough depth to get a silver here. Getting a silver coin in the water with the APEX was a real surprise!

Nice initial report. Dont care if youre Garrett-affiliated, always assumed you were by the tone of your posts.

One question though...why run a simultaneous multi frequency machine in single frequency mode on its maiden voyage?

I’m new here and haven’t been around very long but it seems there is an amount of anti Garrett sentiment and I’m curious why it seems to cause polarization more so than any other company? Did they do something in the past to deserve bashing? Or is it just typical “mine is better than yours” forum nonsense, brand loyalty etc? I dunno maybe I’m reading into it too much:shrugs:.

I've only been around a year and can't explain it, but there is definitely a vocal anti-Garrett contingent. And many of the folks that you see bashing Garrett will turn a thread on almost any topic into a Minelab thread. I've always found that odd.

I've never used a Garrett detector, just a couple of Fishers and (recently) a Minelab but I definitely don't understand it. I won't be buying an Apex (i'm set for a bit)... still a new detector is interesting and it would be more enjoyable reading about it without the Garrett bashing.

Theoretically, yes. But we don't always know if we need the salt shaker handy and if so, how much salt to use. That's why disclosure concerning relationships is so important. A biased opinion can still be useful but we need to know that there is bias there to begin with (or at least there's the potential for bias).

It's like a clock that's fast. If we don't know how fast it is, the clock isn't very useful. But if we know it's 6 minutes fast, then it can still be an accurate timekeeper.

You'll know who most of the testers are when the vids start showing. It's a lot of the same people that test detectors for other companies because they have a following on YouTube. Go back and watch all their videos and try to find one where they say don't buy the product because it doesn't perform as advertised. It doesn't happen. A testers primary goal is to help produce a better detector.

The one caveat, there is a guy and I can't remember his name. He tested one of the initial Quest detectors and he literally crushed against a wood post.

Looks like that stuff got into ur oatmeal also. You have your opinion and announce it and so do I. This is what some folks call a "FRIENDLY" forum. It appears that you may have slid a bit off center and trying to have others adapt to something opposite to the announced character of this great forum. :?:

Deflection is your main course of retort. You bash Garrett every opportunity possible. A pithy little soul.

There are two types of possible affiliation here, one is a person who is an actual employee of a company and one who is a dealer or reseller of the product. I do not believe either one would be dishonest in reviewing a new product but I think they will certainly keep a positive spin on it which they should. I am sure anything they have found that might be undesirable about the machine is being reported back to Garrett and I am sure that is the intent of these testers. There will be plenty of “honest” reviews and highlights of any shortcomings or pluses once it goes up for sale and is in the public’s hands. This is certainly a jump in technology and I think it only is going to bring good things to the hobby for all of us.

John is a nurse and lives in Canada. I don't think he would be an employee of Garrett since their home is in Garland, Tx. Just about everyone on the forum knows all of the dealers whether they advertise here or not. I've never heard anyone say, they got a great deal from John Edmonton when they bought their new detector or pinpointer. Can anyone say they've purchased something from John's website etc. ? Does John have a website where he sells detectors ?

Deflection is your main course of retort. You bash Garrett every opportunity possible. A pithy little soul.

Pithy. Pithy is an adjective to describe something or someone as being particularly good with words in a way uses few words and is clever. There is sometimes an associated level of enthusiasm about the words or the person declaring them. Those who are considered pithy are of value to education and those who have an opposition to their educational value are a much lesser person. Now retort this!!!!!!!

I've only been around a year and can't explain it, but there is definitely a vocal anti-Garrett contingent. And many of the folks that you see bashing Garrett will turn a thread on almost any topic into a Minelab thread. I've always found that odd.

I've never used a Garrett detector, just a couple of Fishers and (recently) a Minelab but I definitely don't understand it. I won't be buying an Apex (i'm set for a bit)... still a new detector is interesting and it would be more enjoyable reading about it without the Garrett bashing.

Yeah I’m figuring that out pretty quickly now and seeing patterns emerge with certain forum members turning these threads into the “Not So Friendly Metal Detecting Forum”.

Pithy. Pithy is an adjective to describe something or someone as being particularly good with words in a way uses few words and is clever. There is sometimes an associated level of enthusiasm about the words or the person declaring them. Those who are considered pithy are of value to education and those who have an opposition to their educational value are a much lesser person. Now retort this!!!!!!!

Pithy: Forcefully expressive. Fits you to a T. Looks horrible on you though. Full of meaning. That too fits you to a T. As you mean to consistently take shots/bash Garrett. What else ya got Sardonic one ?

Yeah I’m figuring that out pretty quickly now and seeing patterns emerge with certain forum members turning these threads into the “Not So Friendly Metal Detecting Forum”.

I'm one who thinks there are positives to each release from the different manufacturers. It would be cool if we had broad discussion. It doesn't work that way though. Bashers, bash. Defenders, defend. Though many are open to new horizons. Nothing wrong with having favorites. It's always interesting to see the new stuff and how it will perform.

What would be a great idea is to have a Garrett Rep have demo's on a local beach so other MD can bring their MD and compare them or just try the new Apex out. If on the north east I'd try to make it.

Either way it's a new tool for a great hobby.

See you at the beach!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Doesn't make a difference in what way? For me, it doesn't make a difference in that I'll still consider buying the Apex and I'll still listen to what John has to say about it. However, it does make a difference in that I'll keep the salt shaker handy when I read his comments about the Apex. But that's not saying John's a liar, untrustworthy, etc. It just means that I'll assume that what he says (or what he doesn't say or how he says things) might be affected by his relationship with Garrett.

As for a tester saying "this detector sucks," I'm sure it gets said by testers all the time...or something to that effect. I'm sure it was said often with the AT Max. Ok, so maybe they didn't say, "this detector sucks" but I'm sure testers of the AT Max said things like:

"No, this cannot hunt salt water beaches as well as a PI or SMF detector"
"Yes, this gets better depth, but at a cost of increased chatter"

So even if someone's job is just to give constructive feedback, that they might still regulate what they say about the product in public. This is perfectly understandable, especially if Garrett plans on addressing the potential problems in a machine before its release. In that case, publicly being negative about a product is not constructive, at all.

Excellent response MH. There's a huge difference between a "tester" and a "promoter". The tester receives a machine before it's release to help the manufacturer work out any real world bugs. A promoter is there to keep a companies name in front of the public. Although John has never responded directly to my queries about his relationship with Garrett, it has become evident that he is a paid promoter of Garrett products. I'm sure John is also a tester for Garrett products. I don't have a problem with him doing either, but it seems like it would be smarter to wait to promote the product until it has been tested. As you've said, it would be nice to know his relationship with Garrett in order to evaluate the veracity of all his promoting. I have nothing against John or Garrett, just think that honesty is the best policy. Maybe someone from Garrett could chime in here and describe the relationship.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly. There's still lots of fun-loving and helpful people on this site.

I thought the ace 400 was a very good machine. I did move up to the Equinox 600, but I am still interested in how the Apex will turn out. I'm not brand Loyal. I have used Fishers, bounty hunters Garretts and Minelab. Whatever works for you. Also if you're not going to water hunt there is no need to worry about it not being submersible.

I love my Ace 400 and can't wait to run the new Apex along for comparison once they are available. I don't need anyone to convince me Garrett makes good machines....I learned the lesson all on my own. No coaching needed here

Stay Safe....peace....primetime

Back
Top Bottom