Possible Gun Part???

DetectingIowa

Found this near an old school house. Says "Patented 1849" and something else that I cannot make out. I'm thinking some sort of gun part, but I'm sure you all are all much more knowledgeable than I am!

Attachments

• Mystery Item 2.jpg
    Mystery Item 2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 491
  • Mystery Item.jpg
    Mystery Item.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 458
If I remember correctly it is a part of a window latch.

Cliff
You remember the mid 1850's Cliff?!? :lol:...It does look like an old window latch part, but might be something else.
You should brush it a little cleaner, with soapy water. Try to get the rest of it readable. That may be your best clue.

You remember the mid 1850's Cliff?!? [emoji38]...It does look like an old window latch part, but might be something else.
You should brush it a little cleaner, with soapy water. Try to get the rest of it readable. That may be your best clue.
Not quite that old! I seem to remember having that type of latch on the windows at my elementary school. The school didn't date quite that far back but early 1900's I would think.

Cliff

Latches with similar handles were used for many applications during late 19th and early 20th cent. Windows and extension table halves come immediately to mind.

looks like a thumb press for a bicycle bell?
maybe...

To heavy a material for that. Those were thin pressed steel parts.

Cliff

Ahhhhh.... Somebody guessed my guess before me. :D
Bicycle bell +1

As Bayoutalker pointed out, it's far too heavy and thick for that purpose. The thumb press on every one I've ever seen and/or handled, even very antique ones, was stamped metal.

Add to that the patent date of 1849 pre-dates any bicycle, so it cannot be a bicycle bell. I guess you could have had a thumb-operated bell for something other than a bicycle, but now we're really stretching.

Back
Top Bottom